I hereby recant my position on Nash

Makeplays

Rookie
Reaction score
Under TP's system I really didn't care if Nash came out to rest because I didn't see any difference in the team performance with him on the floor or not.

But now I know that Nash was born to run and that rebounding, stops and distribution is the by-product of Nash's comfort in this system.

Run Run Run!

lou_skywalker

Registered
Reaction score
Under TP's system I really didn't care if Nash came out to rest because I didn't see any difference in the team performance with him on the floor or not.

But now I know that Nash was born to run and that rebounding, stops and distribution is the by-product of Nash's comfort in this system.

Run Run Run!

yeah i think this squad still deserves a chance to make a run towards a championship :D

nowagimp

Reaction score

Run Run Run!

When your opponent is bigger and more physical it is better to run him than bump and grind. On the other hand when your opponent is smaller, you can beat him into submission with the slow down game. The use of nash in the grind it out half court game never made sense to me. the same is true of speed, even lebron does better in the running game because you cant find a defender that is as quick while being strong enough to guard him. Amare is about speed more than pounding. And he certainly is wasted as a jump shooter. the suns can run or play in the half court with shaq, but they should run alot more as most of their personnel is better in that game. Great teams can do both, like the spurs. Last year the spurs beat the suns by running them, just totally destroyed them in fast break points. Hopefully this years team can run well enough to defend the running game. I have to admire POPs a bit, he used to beat the suns by slowing down, now he does it by using the speed up game.

OP
OP
M

Makeplays

Rookie
Reaction score
When your opponent is bigger and more physical it is better to run him than bump and grind. On the other hand when your opponent is smaller, you can beat him into submission with the slow down game. The use of nash in the grind it out half court game never made sense to me. the same is true of speed, even lebron does better in the running game because you cant find a defender that is as quick while being strong enough to guard him. Amare is about speed more than pounding. And he certainly is wasted as a jump shooter. the suns can run or play in the half court with shaq, but they should run alot more as most of their personnel is better in that game. Great teams can do both, like the spurs. Last year the spurs beat the suns by running them, just totally destroyed them in fast break points. Hopefully this years team can run well enough to defend the running game. I have to admire POPs a bit, he used to beat the suns by slowing down, now he does it by using the speed up game.

Excellent take! I really like the upside of this team and look for them to make a run in 2nd half.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nash's 2 main problems will still persist. Turnovers and no defense. It's great from an enterainment factor but that's about it.

If Nash can at the very least get his turnovers under control, it will at least have a positive impact by allowing fewer easy buckets for opposing teams.

atikiN

Registered
Reaction score
Nash's 2 main problems will still persist. Turnovers and no defense. It's great from an enterainment factor but that's about it.

If Nash can at the very least get his turnovers under control, it will at least have a positive impact by allowing fewer easy buckets for opposing teams.
Nash always had those problems, even during his MVP years. The difference is, in the run and gun style, he's so brilliant on offense that it's easier to overlook the defensive shortcomings. Plus if he collects 11+ assists, the 3 turnovers don't seem so bad, as opposed to when he gets under 10.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Get off Nash maybe he can take less of a beating now with running again opposed to grind it out suck ass basketball Porter was trying to play! Expect this team to keep playing well as they will be having FUN you know the one thing NO ONE seemed to be having the whole first half of the year! I think Porter lost the team AWHILE ago and it became clear that the PLAYERS were not happy at all and well the last 2 games they look pretty happy and excited to be playing FUN basketball again, and I don't need to hear how FUN basketball can't win in the playoffs because thats crap with this talented roster they can play with anyone it just comes down to a few breaks here in there.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Get off Nash maybe he can take less of a beating now with running again opposed to grind it out suck ass basketball Porter was trying to play! Expect this team to keep playing well as they will be having FUN you know the one thing NO ONE seemed to be having the whole first half of the year! I think Porter lost the team AWHILE ago and it became clear that the PLAYERS were not happy at all and well the last 2 games they look pretty happy and excited to be playing FUN basketball again, and I don't need to hear how FUN basketball can't win in the playoffs because thats crap with this talented roster they can play with anyone it just comes down to a few breaks here in there.

I wonder if Porter EVER had the players to begin with. They were too caught up in trying to fit his "style" that they lost sight of what made them successful in the first place.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
and I don't need to hear how FUN basketball can't win in the playoffs because thats crap with this talented roster they can play with anyone it just comes down to a few breaks here in there.

You may not want to hear it but it's the truth. You can't run your way to the playoffs and win a title. Don't even throw the Lakers out there because the showtime Lakers played defense too.

If this team stands any chance, it has to become at least a competant defensive team. If they don't no amount of running is going to get them a title.

Last edited:

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
You may not want to hear it but it's the truth. You can't run your way to the playoffs and win a title. Don't even throw the Lakers out there because the showtime Lakers played defense too.
Agreed, but this style of play probably gives the Suns the best chance of making the playoffs and possibly home court for round 1. We just need to find the proper mix of run and gun along with hard nosed defense.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Agreed, but this style of play probably gives the Suns the best chance of making the playoffs and possibly home court for round 1. We just need to find the proper mix of run and gun along with hard nosed defense.
Another factor is having a rested group of starters once we get into the playoffs. I love seeing us go 10 deep. I hope it wasn't just against the depleted Clippers.

If Alvin Gentry can combine the best of D'Antoni (SSOL) and eliminate the worst (7-man rotation, no D, no rebounding, country club atmosphere) .

and the best of Terry Porter (a balance of scoring, defense and rebounding) and eliminate the worst (young players afraid to make a mistake during their development, inexperience in handling veterans, especially following that country club atmosphere) .

I could get my hopes up once again for the window of opportunity in the post- season.

I appreciate the effort of Terry Porter, but the deck was stacked against him -- an inexpensive and inexperienced Head Coach, as a buffer.

Just as UofA, for example, may go through with the Coach who follows Lute Olsen, unless he is high-priced and very experienced.

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
Another factor is having a rested group of starters once we get into the playoffs. I love seeing us go 10 deep. I hope it wasn't just against the depleted Clippers.

If Alvin Gentry can combine the best of D'Antoni (SSOL) and eliminate the worst (7-man rotation, no D, no rebounding, country club atmosphere) .

and the best of Terry Porter (a balance of scoring, defense and rebounding) and eliminate the worst (young players afraid to make a mistake during their development, inexperience in handling veterans, especially following that country club atmosphere) .

I could get my hopes up once again for the window of opportunity in the post- season.

I appreciate the effort of Terry Porter, but the deck was stacked against him -- an inexpensive and inexperienced Head Coach, as a buffer.

Just as UofA, for example, may go through with the Coach who follows Lute Olsen, unless he is high-priced and very experienced.
O/T Does UofA really need a coaching change? Things seem to be going ok with their current one. Why not just remove the interm label if things continue like they've been going?

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
I don't see why people say we cant win with the system. Should of won in 05, 07 and maybe even last year.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see why people say we cant win with the system. Should of won in 05, 07 and maybe even last year.

Shoulda coulda woulda. We didn't win. We did not get the the finals. We did not win it all.

No running team that plays little defense has ever won a title. I would say history proves that.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Has a half court team that plays little defense ever won a title? I certainly don't remember one. I guess thats so obvious you don't bother to mention it...

In any case, the Suns are not very likely to win it all this year but I like their chances better with Gentry than Porter - and I'll like them even more if he continues using a lot of bench. Under the former SSOL coach the team ran itself into the ground as much as they did their opponents - which negates the main advantage you hope to gain.

cly2tw

Reaction score
I don't mind running as long as Nash plays less than 30 min avg and he doesn't dribble penetrate too much in half court sets.

This will reduce his turnover problems these two seasons and get him more energy to play better defense.

An exhausted Nash for the playoffs is the least we need.