I still believe in Rackers...and so should you.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
50 yard field goals are not give me's. He's only missed TWO field goals under 50 yards in the last 2 seasons (including last night's). He's still very accurate, but has struggled with the 50+ yarders. Unfortunately, he just barely missed a 40 yarder that never should have been anyway. Who gets to the 26 yard line and then just sits on the ball? Play calling and by God, lack of run blocking lost us this game.

Should he make a 40 yard field goal? Absolutely. Is a 40 yard field goal a chip shot? No. It's still a long field goal, and unfortunately he barely missed it.

I'm not about to toss a pro-bowl quality kicker to the curb because he's BARELY missed some +50 yarders and 1 40 yarder. And oh yeah, one of those 50 yarders was when the coaching screwed up game management and he had to rush out to kick the ball.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3xXql7SoxTA

Parlor tricks aside he's 9/10 on field goals 0-49 yards and 12/12 PAT...he's struggled this year with 50+ yards, but kickers do go through phases...luckily he's only been barely off with his 50s and other than last night, dead on with anything under.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
you cant miss a game winning FOURTY yarder. 50 I understand a bit...but no way can you miss a 40 yrdr

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rakers spoiled us last year and now we expect him to be perfect all the time. He just needs to get his confidence back.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rakers spoiled us last year and now we expect him to be perfect all the time. He just needs to get his confidence back.

I think you're right, still, if I saw him in person today somewhere, I'd probably deck him.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I swear it seems like he was taking somthing to make his leg so strong last year. It makes too much sence to think he got his contract and all of a sudden his leg is weak.

I give one more chance.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
I think you're right, still, if I saw him in person today somewhere, I'd probably deck him.

I'm ashamed to say this, but that was exactly what I was thinking (and saying) when the camera follwed him off the field..."Please someone punch him in the face!"

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
The Boldins, the Berrys, the Lienarts, and the Rackers are the players you rely on carrying your team. A kicker's sole job is, well, to kick field goals. You just can't, absolutely can't, miss a relatively short winning game field goal. This is not expected of Rackers.

But I guess this is the difference between winners and losers. We are losers. We accept these things and justify. Winners, like Seattle, march down the field in a similar situation against Rams, down a point, and their kickers hits a 54 yarder to win the game. Yet, we were willing to give free passes to the pro bowl kicker for missing 51 yarder last week to send the game to overtime and now missing a 40 yarder, a FREAKIN' 40 YARDER, for no reason.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Maybe it's that he's not kicking meaningless field goals in the second and third quarters anymore. When he's been asked to kick meaningful field goals--the ones that guys that deserve to be in the Pro Bowl make--he's honked twice. What meaningful field goals did Rackers kick last season?

Can't you just say that it's a little possible that the guy doesn't have the icewater flowing in his veins that the great kickers have. Anyone can shine when it doesn't matter.

Ask Josh McCown.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bob Kemp today had said that both Nedney and the KC kicker complained about the field not being kicker friendly and the KC kicker actually switched shoes during the game because of the field. Their complaint seemed to be the unevenness of the field (kind of wavy or something).

Rackers has not been kicking right (KO's of FG's) and said his foot hit the ground last night before contacting the ball. Maybe he is having the same issues and is not dwelling on it publically so people don't think he is making excuses?

Denny seems to think Rackers is hurt but I am not sure I am buying that. I tend to believe the field is an issue for the kickers more than him being hurt.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
semi-off topic...I was driving on the San Tan 202 freeway this morning and I swear I saw Neil Rackers get in a small fender bender headed west at Arizona Ave. Either that or it was a spitting image look alike. If it was him, what a bad string of luck for the guy.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
semi-off topic...I was driving on the San Tan 202 freeway this morning and I swear I saw Neil Rackers get in a small fender bender headed west at Arizona Ave. Either that or it was a spitting image look alike. If it was him, what a bad string of luck for the guy.

Let me guess, you saw his car pulled off to the left side of the road.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
He was great last year but this year is a different story. It's not only field goals it's also his kick offs. They seem to be short. Player is also having problems. Maybe it is just coincidence. Maybe the field is not good for kicking.

ishbin

Rookie
Reaction score
even though he should have made the fg i still don't understand why we didn't run the ball to the middle of the field on 3rd down. it's not like we we trying hard to get the 1st. we should have at least tried the fg from the middle of the field & not the left hash......still racks fault though.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dennis says he's not worried about what's going on "between Rackers' ears" but is concerned about his physical situation - noting that Rackers wasn't booming kickoffs into the EZ Monday, the way he does when he's on his game.

I'm a "hot hand" kind of guy. I love what Neil has done for us in the past, but he's blown 2 FG's recently that cost us football games. Until he kicks a long game winner, I'm going to be nervous every time he lines up to kick.

Aquendwato

Reaction score
Had that kick been set up for him like the other 31 teams in the NFL would have (okay, maybe not Oakland) it would have been dead center with tons of room to spare.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still back Rackers, but I have lost that confidence I used to have anytime he lined up to kick from anywhere.

Scary. I hope it's a funk or a minor injury that he'll get out of.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
If he continues like this, then add kicker to the list of players to "upgrade"... after he gets an extension...