if no deal for boris this summer, MAX near year?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Folster said:
All this talk about trading key players is ludacris. This team deserves a chance to see what it can do when everyone is healthy. Look what they have done already without two key players.

I agree but the fact is the salary cap will throw a monkey wrench in that plan. Amare's deal kicks in next year, Marion's salary goes up, Nash is due for another 11 mil, KT will account for another 8 mil, that is just 4 players plus the fact that we would looking at extending Diaw and Barbosa for some change. KT would provide a lot of relief and a trade of Barbosa could bring in some cheaper talent. Right now I see our core as Amare, Marion, Nash, and Diaw. We need some young guys to provide size, defense and rebounding to compliment our core. Drafting guys like Boone and Farmar would also aid in replacing KT and Barbosa.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Diaw and Barbosa extensions won't kick in till 07-08. Amare's kicks in next year putting us easily over the cap. TT is the only potential problem. If someone is moved it will be to find room for him. I think/hope Sarver can afford one year of luxury tax for a legitimate shot at a title. After all, Nash isn't getting any younger.

But definitely, someone must go after next year. That's why the next two draft's are important.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
BigRedRage said:
why the hell would you ship marion? ill keep him over boris

I'd rather try to keep Diaw, Barbosa, TT and trade Marion for something good that way we keep our juggernaut going for another decade. Keeping Marion with his whopping salary will hinder us in keeping those other players. Diaw and Barbosa are our future with Amare.

asudevil83

Reaction score
i'd rather trade Kurt Thomas and Barbosa and hold onto Diaw and Marion if it all came down to it.

those two would be much easier and less painful to get rid of.

Thomas for an expiring contract
Barbosa for an early draft pick.

Marion would most likely only net us an early draft pick (maybe two later picks) and an expiring contract which would be useless a year later.

there arent too many teams that could take on Marion, while there are quite a few who would gladly take Barbosa and KT.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
i'd rather trade Kurt Thomas and Barbosa and hold onto Diaw and Marion if it all came down to it.

those two would be much easier and less painful to get rid of.

Thomas for an expiring contract
Barbosa for an early draft pick.

Marion would most likely only net us an early draft pick (maybe two later picks) and an expiring contract which would be useless a year later.

there arent too many teams that could take on Marion, while there are quite a few who would gladly take Barbosa and KT.

Diaw is not a max player, look at Richardson and Johnson, they were products of the system, Diaw fits D Antoni system great, but not many other teams system. Diaw is far from a MAx player, he is good but put him on another team he would be a shell of himself!!

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
unfortunately, if that's your offer you won't be reciting either of them this summer, and Boris might cost twice that much next summer.

I wouldn't re-sign Barbosa for anything more than the mid-level, and I'm not even sure I want to pay him that. He'll never start on a championship caliber team. He doesn't have the point guard skills, and he's too small to guard opposing shooting guards all the time.

Depending on what the Phoenix Suns do in the draft and the off-season I would not be against trading Barbosa. Of course I would want something decent in return for him.

Joe

Barbosa's issue is not that he is a tweener, it's his mental game, and in fact anyone who disagrees can just look at the fact that there is a person on the Suns staff dedicated to boosting Leandro's confidence. He seems like a nice man but I wouldn't sink that much money into a player who goes through ups and downs like a recovering heroin addict.

asudevil83

Reaction score
DevonCardsFan said:
Diaw is not a max player, look at Richardson and Johnson, they were products of the system, Diaw fits D Antoni system great, but not many other teams system. Diaw is far from a MAx player, he is good but put him on another team he would be a shell of himself!!
i know that Boris is not a MAX player, and i wasnt implying that he was in my post. in my books right now he's a 5 year $50mil, maybe 5 year $60mil.

but i will say that there is no way that the suns hold onto Marion/Thomas/Diaw/Barbosa. two of those guys will be gone before that start of the 07/08 season.

and out of those 4 i would hands down hold onto Marion and Boris.

by the time the 07/08 season hits, if the suns were to hold onto everyone they have now, they would be approaching almost $80mil in payroll. factor in the luxury tax, and we are looking at over $95mil. i dont see that happening.

and i will dissagree that Boris would be a shell of himself on another team. what makes the suns different from any other team in the NBA is largely Nash. during the three games that the suns played without Nash this season, Boris had two triple doubles and missed another one by 1 rebound and 1 assist.

lastly, Boris has averaged something like 26/7/7 in this series against the Mavs, and 18/6/6 for the playoffs. this kid has skill and will only get better. Q sucks because he is in a crap situation in a system that he is terrible in. JJ on the other hand, is doing quite well for Atlanta, not a "shell of his former self on the suns".

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Signing Boris to a contract extension is a must.

I'm more negotiable regarding Barbosa if a trade is there.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Barbosa and two first rounders for a veteran point guard and a higher pick? If anyone in the top 15 has a decent veteran point guard. I heard the Suns were looking to trade up because they like a big man they think they can get there....

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Treesquid said:
Barbosa's issue is not that he is a tweener, it's his mental game, and in fact anyone who disagrees can just look at the fact that there is a person on the Suns staff dedicated to boosting Leandro's confidence. He seems like a nice man but I wouldn't sink that much money into a player who goes through ups and downs like a recovering heroin addict.

The mental game might be an issue for Barbosa. He's young and from another country. you are right. That probably is part of the problem with Barbosa, but he's also an undersized shooting guard. That's not a problem when you are coming off the bench on a rookie salary, but I don't want the Phoenix Suns paying big money for it.

Joe

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
The mental game might be an issue for Barbosa. He's young and from another country. you are right. That probably is part of the problem with Barbosa, but he's also an undersized shooting guard. That's not a problem when you are coming off the bench on a rookie salary, but I don't want the Phoenix Suns paying big money for it.

Joe

the only reason I can see the suns paying good money for it is because of his youth, he still is what? like 23? But I agree he more of a key bench player rather than a starter at least until he figures out his game better.