If the Cards Stay Put

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
And maybe Trevor Lawrence's family can afford the same for him. So let's apply the same logic for him and stay healthy for the next 2 years while preparing with a QB guru for the NFL? Whoever is the clubhouse leader as the #1 overall prospect currently in the 2020 draft should follow suit also. Bosa's family could have gotten him someone to work with on the side at Ohio St paid for by the family and still supported his teammates. We all know Lawrence isn't gonna check out and shut it down for the next 2 years and if he did many of the same people falling over Bosa would call Lawrence out. The reason is production does still matter, leadership matters and showing up in big games against top opponents (like Lawrence did in the championship game) matters.

So what is Bosa going to do if he is 85-90% on gameday pull himself out to protect his future earnings? What if we are 4-9 going into the last 3 games of the season and a he is a little dinged up? Is he gonna check out going into his last season before free agency? If I'm an owner investing the #1 overall pick and millions of dollars into this guy I would damn sure wanna know. His brother held out of training camp going into his rookie season (no rookies hold out anymore except him) so more red flags for that camp.

If Trevor Lawrence suffers a season ending injury I wouldn’t have a problem with him leaving Clemson to focus on rehab/training. If I’m drafting a player I’d want him to have received the best treatment possible.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
As long as Bosa proves healthy at the Combine and Pro Day I could agree with it. .

I don’t think there’s chance he does more than interviews, measurements and maybe medical evals at the combine.

Last edited:

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
And maybe Trevor Lawrence's family can afford the same for him. So let's apply the same logic for him and stay healthy for the next 2 years while preparing with a QB guru for the NFL? Whoever is the clubhouse leader as the #1 overall prospect currently in the 2020 draft should follow suit also. Bosa's family could have gotten him someone to work with on the side at Ohio St paid for by the family and still supported his teammates. We all know Lawrence isn't gonna check out and shut it down for the next 2 years and if he did many of the same people falling over Bosa would call Lawrence out. The reason is production does still matter, leadership matters and showing up in big games against top opponents (like Lawrence did in the championship game) matters.

So what is Bosa going to do if he is 85-90% on gameday pull himself out to protect his future earnings? What if we are 4-9 going into the last 3 games of the season and a he is a little dinged up? Is he gonna check out going into his last season before free agency? If I'm an owner investing the #1 overall pick and millions of dollars into this guy I would damn sure wanna know. His brother held out of training camp going into his rookie season (no rookies hold out anymore except him) so more red flags for that camp.
The hold-out was purely on the Chargers not following the trend of Garanteed money on rookie deals. Bosa was the 3rd overall Pick and the contract Value was slated as #3. The Garanteed Value was however only on par with the 21st Pick (If I remember it correctly)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man do I not trust Keim to pick the right guys if we trade out of the top spot.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm also leaning towards taking Bosa and not trading out of the first overall pick. I just don't see a large windfall for trading out of the first pick like we have seen in previous years. There just isn't that "Must Have" QB this year that teams will sell the farm for.

With that said the first pick in the Second Round seems like it will be a much more valuable pick to trade. Some teams are going to covet a player who drops out of the first round. I think it is highly likely that the Cardinals trade out of that second round pick and load up on some additional picks.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I'm also leaning towards taking Bosa and not trading out of the first overall pick. I just don't see a large windfall for trading out of the first pick like we have seen in previous years. There just isn't that "Must Have" QB this year that teams will sell the farm for.

With that said the first pick in the Second Round seems like it will be a much more valuable pick to trade. Some teams are going to covet a player who drops out of the first round. I think it is highly likely that the Cardinals trade out of that second round pick and load up on some additional picks.

Very good point!

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bosa's gonna think the NFL is EASY as pie during training camp when he faces Humphries. He'll have 8 'sacks' on day 1.
He can sleep walk through camp....then he'll see the real NFL Tackles and it'll be a new ball game.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I don’t think there’s chance he does more than interviews, measurements and maybe medical evals.
The nfl requires three years of post high school football experience. Are we sure 2018 counts for bosa since he only played a few games and then withdrew from school?

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The nfl requires three years of post high school football experience. Are we sure 2018 counts for bosa since he only played a few games and then withdrew from school?

My understanding is that since he won’t apply to get his year of eligibility back he will be invited to the combine.

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
The nfl requires three years of post high school football experience....
No. The NFL requires you be hree years removed from high school before becoming draft eligible. Anyway, he signed with an agent, which is pretty much the Rubicon Line as far as the NCAA is concerned. Ditto with any other NCAA-sanctioned sport.

As a top draft pick, he has many financial resources available already, despite his medical problems. No doubt his agent or agency has connection with a handful of banks who have specialty sports banking and lending departments. They often make credit available to high draft picks in many sports who have the potential to repay the debt. Physical therapy can be expensive. But it probably doesn't compare with what a top athlete can obtain before even setting foot on the field. Bear in mind a portion of his contract will almost assuredly be guaranteed. Why do you think rookies are buying houses at age 21?

Whatever team drafts Bosa will almost assuredly take out insurance on his health for the duration of his first contract. This is common in many pro leagues. And there are insurers out there who will take a chance...for the right price. Remember when Lloyd's Of London insured Gene Simmons' tongue?

So the goal for the guy is to get healthy and impress at the combine. If he does that, then yeah, let the Cards draft the best available athlete on the board.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno. He did pretty good last year.

my standards for "pretty good" involve more than ONE player who actually looked like he could be a good NFL player. Jury's out on everyone else and to argue otherwise would make as much as sense as being gung-ho about Sam Bradford, last year's coaching staff, supporting Keim even though he was a two-time drunk driver and saying that John Brown was better than Antonio Brown.

Reaction score
my standards for "pretty good" involve more than ONE player who actually looked like he could be a good NFL player. Jury's out on everyone else and to argue otherwise would make as much as sense as being gung-ho about Sam Bradford, last year's coaching staff, supporting Keim even though he was a two-time drunk driver and saying that John Brown was better than Antonio Brown.

This has no bearing on how he manages. Way to twist my words on the last part. For someone that ******* about people putting words in your mouth you seem to do it to others a lot.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Nobody was "gung ho" on Bradford he was signed to be a bridge for a year stop trying to make it out like they signed him to be the future