If we were to trade down, how far down would go?

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
The draft goes like this...

Russell
Thomas
Quinn
Johnson
(_____)

And 'Zona decides to trade down now that Thomas is off the board, what would be the desirable spot to slide to? Out of the T10? Mid-first? To 31? And for those not trade savvy, I put a link down for you to help you calculate.

Trade Value Chart

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have changed from my earlier stance, but if the draft goes like that, I'd draft Peterson.

If for some reason we don't want Peterson, I'd consider Adams, or trade down no lower than 11.

seesred

Reaction score
I don't see us trading down with those givens. If LT is still where we want to go we could probably reach Levi Brown with a 7-9 pick.Adams would be a good pick if we stay put.
GBR

Reaction score
I'd take Peterson. If Thomas and Peterson are both off the board, then I would consider any offers. Beyond those two choices I think the Cardinals need additional picks more than any specific draft candidate.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score

Russell
Thomas
Quinn
Johnson
(_____)

And 'Zona decides to trade down now that Thomas is off the board, what would be the desirable spot to slide to? Out of the T10? Mid-first? To 31? And for those not trade savvy, I put a link down for you to help you calculate.

Trade Value Chart

If the draft went that way, I dont think anyone would want to trade up.

I would draft either Peterson or Adams and be happy.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My prediction:

We trade down with the Pats for their 2 number 1's (#24 & #28) and give up our 1st & 4th. Graves plans on taking Staley but Philly trades up in front of us and snatches him away.

Now in panic mode, we select OT Ryan Harris and Earl Everett OLB two rounds before they were scheduled to be selected.

Everyone, including Kiper (but not Mitch), runs to their draft guides to see who in the heck these guys are.

The fans at the stadium proceed to burn the place to the ground.

The Pats select a future Pro Bowler in the 4th round with our traded pick, because that's the way it always works.

Then, depression sets in.

:(

The Shark

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I think a more fair question is who realistically will be looking to trade up? It takes 2 to tango.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think a more fair question is who realistically will be looking to trade up? It takes 2 to tango.
I don't think that we should "look" to trade down to begin with. It will give the teams that we contact the bargaining advantage. Let them come to us.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I don't think that we should "look" to trade down to begin with. It will give the teams that we contact the bargaining advantage. Let them come to us.

Missed my point. All this message board talk about trading down is moot if no team below us is actually looking at trading at all. It doesn't matter how far the Cards feel they can trade down to, it matters who is actually willing to trade up. As far as I've read there are very few teams, let alone those picking in the top 10, looking to trade up.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Missed my point. All this message board talk about trading down is moot if no team below us is actually looking at trading at all. It doesn't matter how far the Cards feel they can trade down to, it matters who is actually willing to trade up. As far as I've read there are very few teams, let alone those picking in the top 10, looking to trade up.

Zeno --I agree

I propose for the board that if someone proposes a trade down -- they have to say to what spot in the draft and, most importantly of all, why the other team wants to trade up.

man law

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we go below #8 then Miami will select Levi Brown at #9 and we will have to go in another direction with our first round pick and hope like heck that Staley or Ugoh is there in the 2nd when we pick ... I don't really see Staley getting past Baltimore at #29 ...

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I agree with you wholeheartedly. If we do trade it should be on our terms. What's the worse thing that happens if we don't get those terms? We have the fifth pick in the draft. My point was, if you are correct which I think that you are, we should deal from a position of strength not, "Hey you want to trade with us?"

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is going to sound crazy but what else is there to talk about until the draft.

How about this trade scenario:
Edgerrin James & 4th rounder for the Pat's 2 first rounders.

We can nab Peterson at 5, Staley, and probably Timmons, imagine that.

The reason NE does it, they basically have no needs because they took care of business in FA, they get a superstar RB to replace Dillon, & Moroney has a significant injury

Thereason we do it, because if Thomas isn't there Peterson is the BPA and would bea great addition to ouryoung offense.

We could mimmick the Colt's trio of Harrison, Manning and James with Fitzgerald, Leinart, & Peterson.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I agree with you wholeheartedly. If we do trade it should be on our terms. What's the worse thing that happens if we don't get those terms? We have the fifth pick in the draft. My point was, if you are correct which I think that you are, we should deal from a position of strength not, "Hey you want to trade with us?"

I say we trade our #5, our 4th rounder, and trade back in the 2nd in exchange for the #17 and #18. Can we do that? :D

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I hope Graves doesn't go by that trade chart and try to move up to#2. According to the points on the chart we'd have to give up picks 1,2,3,4, and 5 to move up 3 spots. That's pretty crazy.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Russell
Thomas
Quinn
Johnson
(_____)

Trade Value Chart

I heard a quote from our Coach that he had no plans to trade down.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I heard a quote from our Coach that he had no plans to trade down.

I think a new coach in a new organiation might be less likely to trade down than an established coach. More chances to really screw up on a trade down so why take the chance. Most GM's and coaches I hear on the radio or TV suggest it is best in most cases to stay where you are and take the BPA no matter what his position (QB being an exception). If you do not take the BPA you are taking a chance that your selection has less chance of being an NFL player.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score

Russell
Thomas
Quinn
Johnson
(_____)

Trade Value Chart

It all depends on what we get back. To me, if Thomas is gone and Peterson is available, that's the pick. I assume Calvin Johnson is gone.

What if Peterson, Thomas and Johnson and one QB are gone. The other QB would still be available. In that case, depending on compensation, any of the following would be very good picks:L Brown, J Anderson, G Adams, A Branch, L Landry, P Willis, Michigan CB (so good I can't remember his name?), D Revis, Okoye. So that's 14.

It makes me go back to the Max Starks rumored trade and swapping with Pitt at 15. To me, If one guy drops out of that 14, we could end up with that one (at a much better contract than #5) AND A STARTING TACKLE, and if one of those 13 doesn't fall, we look at R Nelson, the Miami TE (same thing on the name) or even M Lynch.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, Max Starks is not worth the 1st round pick that he would grade out to if we traded wtih Pitt.

Besides that, a couple more things, who would they get at #5? You mention a QB being available, why would Pitt want to move up to grab a QB?

Second, if they were to move up, anyone that they would be targeting with the #5, would still be there at #6 where Washington is eager to trade down.

Third, Pittsburgh is notorious for aquiring as many picks as possible. They would be more likely to trade down, than up. Their new regime might change that though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05