If you could give Bruce Arians one piece of advice as a fan...

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
What would it be???

Hi gang,

Getting ready for the upcoming season with a new FO and coaching staff I started thinking about Bruce Arians and what advice, as a lifelong Cardinal fan, I would give him if I could have his ear for a moment.

The first thought that occurred to me was the atmosphere at UofP and opposing fans. All the Cardinal fans on ASFN who go to or have gone to games know exactly what I mean. When we play the Cowboys, Steelers Bears, or (now that they're good again) the 9ers, there are TONS of opposing fans like up into the tens of thousands. As a fan I just pretend they aren't there.

Listen, I know that NFL players and coaches are pros and they get paid for this, but I never fail to feel bad for the players when this happens. Especially the young guys who aren't really prepared for it. Most of these kids have come from High Schools and Colleges where they ALWAYS have home field advantage, no matter what. No matter how much you get paid, it HAS to be shocking/annoying/frustrating and bordering on hurtful to walk out of the tunnel in your own stadium to boos and look up and see your home stadium half full of opposing team fans.

So my point is, if I could talk to Arians I would just make sure that he understands that it's going to happen and why. Most people in Arizona are from somewhere else and so most of them are fans of other teams. Until we put a couple rings on their fingers non-cardinal fan Arizonans are going to keep being opposing fans who come to home games, so dont stress about it, dont let it shock you or your players, prepare everyone that it's coming and use it as motivation!!

The reason I bring it up is that Green and Whiz always were in denial about it. They acted like it wasn't there. They acted like fans who wouldn't acknowledge it but were totally annoyed by it at the same time. The team wants to praise us fans for our 7 or 8 year sellout streak but nobody wants to admit that the streak only exists (in part) because a bunch opposing team fans have been filling the seats at certain games for years.

Like I said, if I could give BA advice that would be it. Don't be ashamed of it or embarrassed, just convince your team to use it as motivation. Make it your mission to change it. But dont let it bother your team.

But that's just me.

What would your best advice to BA and Kiem be? I am honestly curious because I respect the opinions of the posters on this forum.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
My advice to BA...quit believing #75 is elite, cut him after a subpar 2013 & continue the overhaul of the Oline :D

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Welcome to the Arizona triangle.

You not only have to do what it takes to win, but do what it takes to win for the Cardinals.

Two completely different things.

Cause Cardinal football is not normal.........ever.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Learn from the mistakes of your predecessors.

But I don't have to tell him that, he's already showing that he has. For one thing, SK and BA have started upgrading the offensive line, both personnel and coaching. They have definitely upgraded the quarterback position. And they've been able to convince ownership to spend significant money to build an indoor practice facility.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The hydroponix lab behind the hot-tubs isn't strictly medicinal and DW and HoneyBadger aren't licensed distributors.

Let's complete a screen pass.

Keep running the rock.

Don't give the ball to R. Williams in crunch time--the dude is scared.

Palmer isn't Kurt Warner. Or even Andrew Luck.

Levi Brown isn't elite.

Neither is Rashard Mendenhall.

Y Bell and Honeybadger combined can't carry AW's jock. Stop pretending like we didn't lose pieces in the secondary.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
When it's 3rd & 8, don't run a short pattern behind the first down line.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Don't be afraid to play your young players.

Play to the strengths of the personnel you have.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
What would it be???

Hi gang,

Getting ready for the upcoming season with a new FO and coaching staff I started thinking about Bruce Arians and what advice, as a lifelong Cardinal fan, I would give him if I could have his ear for a moment.

The first thought that occurred to me was the atmosphere at UofP and opposing fans. All the Cardinal fans on ASFN who go to or have gone to games know exactly what I mean. When we play the Cowboys, Steelers Bears, or (now that they're good again) the 9ers, there are TONS of opposing fans like up into the tens of thousands. As a fan I just pretend they aren't there.

Listen, I know that NFL players and coaches are pros and they get paid for this, but I never fail to feel bad for the players when this happens. Especially the young guys who aren't really prepared for it. Most of these kids have come from High Schools and Colleges where they ALWAYS have home field advantage, no matter what. No matter how much you get paid, it HAS to be shocking/annoying/frustrating and bordering on hurtful to walk out of the tunnel in your own stadium to boos and look up and see your home stadium half full of opposing team fans.

So my point is, if I could talk to Arians I would just make sure that he understands that it's going to happen and why. Most people in Arizona are from somewhere else and so most of them are fans of other teams. Until we put a couple rings on their fingers non-cardinal fan Arizonans are going to keep being opposing fans who come to home games, so dont stress about it, dont let it shock you or your players, prepare everyone that it's coming and use it as motivation!!

The reason I bring it up is that Green and Whiz always were in denial about it. They acted like it wasn't there. They acted like fans who wouldn't acknowledge it but were totally annoyed by it at the same time. The team wants to praise us fans for our 7 or 8 year sellout streak but nobody wants to admit that the streak only exists (in part) because a bunch opposing team fans have been filling the seats at certain games for years.

Like I said, if I could give BA advice that would be it. Don't be ashamed of it or embarrassed, just convince your team to use it as motivation. Make it your mission to change it. But dont let it bother your team.

But that's just me.

What would your best advice to BA and Kiem be? I am honestly curious because I respect the opinions of the posters on this forum.

Sound advice Bert. I would love for the FO and Staff to make it a mission to change this regular occurrence. Yes, our population comes from elsewhere for the most part, BUT we need to develop generations of Cardinal's fans, and the organization has wasted a lot of time in doing so. I believe that the ownership is on the right path at this time, (and I certainly hope that the Staff is as concerned about this as ownership and our real Cardinals fans are. I consider it a terrible shame that Whiz and Co. wasted such a unique opportunity to capitalize on this after the SB run. Good thoughts Bert.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

At least its nowhere near as bad as it was at SDS. I've heard a couple of former players mention how the lack of fan support in Arizona adversely affected the team at Sun Devil.

There are still a lot of fans from the other teams but they're so outnumbered now I don't know if it really has much of a negative effect. Though it is irritating to not know who made a good play when you leave the room because even though the ratio is around 7:3 Cards to visitors instead of 3:5 they still can make some noise.

I have a good idea. Glendale should pass an ordinance making it a crime to wear anything to UPS representing the team the Cards are playing. :D

I know freedom of expression. :(

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
Welcome to the Arizona triangle.

You not only have to do what it takes to win, but do what it takes to win for the Cardinals.

Two completely different things.

Cause Cardinal football is not normal.........ever.
This is the main thing.

He needs to realize that weird things happen quite often to the Cardinals and that the only way to combat this is to play through it and win. It's about changing a culture. Whiz started the change and its up to you (Arians) to take it to the next level.

mwanamatapa

Veteran
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a leaf from the division rivals' book and get creative with the run game. It will open up the passing attack and for a QB like Palmer, sky's the limit.

Oh and a number of fans expect the team to make the playoffs this year.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser