If you were the GM, in retrospect

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread is purely for fun. Take an honest look at your past opinions and see where you would have succeeded and failed as the Cardinals GM.

Off the top of my head

My failures:

After Raynoch Thompson and Levar Fisher, it felt like a draft tradition to waste a second round pick on a LB. So I was pretty annoyed when the Cardinals did it again to take one Karlos Dansby.

Coming into our super bowl season. I was convinced that Warner was done. I was all aboard the Matt Leinart bandwagon train. So frustrating to see someone waste their abilities.

My successes:

I was all in on drafting Anquan Boldin. Really thought he was going to be Hines Ward part 2.

Like everyone, wanted AP over Levi Brown. I remember they had that draft party at the stadium. When that pick was announced the whole stadium boo'd and left.

We will see:

I wasn't a fan of the pick of Rashard Johnson. So far it looks like I am correct but maybe he can get it together on the field.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on sucker. You have to have so many more failures :)

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on sucker. You have to have so many more failures :)

I said off the top of my head :)

Success: Was totally against the signing of Derek Anderson and thought that after watching Max Hall at training camp he should never see the field in the NFL.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I know at one point, I would have had Byron Leftwich throwing to David Terrell :hairraise.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We will see:

Really thought that Beanie Wells would be a stud NFL back. So far this looks WRONG but he is having a good off season.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Failures:

I liked the Levi Brown pick. It was an in Grimm i trust moment.

I thought 49 ers were set when they drafted Alex Smith. :)

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Success - I would have drafted Terrell Suggs.

Failure - I thought Buster Davis was a "good pick" lmao

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I had a Max Hall avatar. I don't know what he'll amount to but he had no chance last year. DA played tricks on my mind, I wasn't thinking right.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Success: Loved Gerald Hayes coming out of Pitt.

Failure: Thoughht Bryant Johnson would actually be damn good.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was called a PAC 10 homer when I said the Cards should draft DeSean Jackson and Antoine Cason in that draft..

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
never been wrong.

:D

This thread is unfair if you've been on this board a long time you're going to look REALLY stupid now. Let's see Drew Henson, David Terrell, didn't like the Dansby pick either, didn't like the Dockett pick(thought he was a risky guy). Liked JJ Arrington(said we took him a round too early).

Bought into the claims that Hall was not a typical rookie and would have a much shorter learning curve and his feel for the game could offset some of his physical limitations(yeesh was that wrong).

Even further back I liked Fitz but he wouldn't have been my pick would have gone QB or a faster WR (Roy Williams) which looks stupider every year.

And that's just off the top of my head with some thought I could probably easily find 10 of really bad and really good "calls".

Good idea for a thread though it's painful to go back and look at some of these.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hated the DD pick now that look back. Ouch.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hated the DD pick now that look back. Ouch.

Loser.. I was a DD fan as soon as we drafted him..

I promise Im not following you around today talkin mess haha.. Its just working out that way..

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loser: Josh McCown is the answer.

Loser: Warner is washed up.

Loser: Matt Leinart is the next Joe Montana

Loser: Maybe Wiz can get Anderson back in 2007 form.

All of which makes me VERY leery about how I feel about Kolb (WHO I ACTUALLY LIKE!) because apparently I can't gauge our QB situation to save my life.

Last edited:

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
I was on nfl network briefly a few years ago during the fan fest and said look out for Buster Davis he is a solid football player and great draft pic......

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Excellent thread. Unfortunately, I seem to have more failures than successes.

Success-Loved the Boldin pick. Grabbed him off waivers in fantasy during preseason of his rookie year and ended up winning the league.

Failure-I honestly believed Milford Brown and Elton Brown were shrewd additions who would solve the problems on the interior of the O-line.

Success-I was ecstatic about signing Bertrand Berry. Thought he was an excellent mid-tier FA signing who would pay immediate dividends.

Failure-I own a Matt Leinart NFL Replays action figure.

jerseyred

Rookie
Reaction score
Success.... Anthony Bell. lb michigan st i knew something was wrong when at the draft when his name was called sc had no film for him. I thought Tom Knight was going to be good

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Success - loved Dansby when we drafted him

Success - loved the Berry signing

Medium success - like the Okeafor signing

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one that stands out for me was David Boston. I really thought he was going to re-write the record books with his combination of size, speed and strength. Like just about everyone here, I hated the trade that cost us Terrell Suggs or maybe I just hated the two guys we settled on.

Steve

chickenhead

Reaction score
My partial success is that I didn't think Warner was completely washed up, but my failure was that I thought Leinart would be our Eli. My success was that I was optimistic about the Cardinals in 2008, but my failure was that I was optimistic about them every other year, too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05