Ike Diogu Now Playing

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Didn't know he was back from his hand injury. I guess he has now played in three games - against SAN, Utah, and Toronto. Game Stats:

SAN - 14 min, 11 pts, 3 boards
Utah - 18 min, 11 pts, 2 boards
Toronto - 21 min, 15 pts, 7 boards

I really believe that Ike will be a good player in the league for years. I wouldn't be surprised if he were an All-Star in 2 or three years. Remember, he lead the Pac-10 in points and rebounds while facing triple teams just about every game. Good post player - he plays much larger than he is... that wing span helps quite a bit.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I can see him being an Elton Brand type of player. I don't know if he'll be as good as Elton, but they've got similar bodies, work ethic and the ability to score around the basket in traffic.

nowagimp

Reaction score
jbeecham said:
I can see him being an Elton Brand type of player. I don't know if he'll be as good as Elton, but they've got similar bodies, work ethic and the ability to score around the basket in traffic.

I liked Diogu on draft day and I like him more now. He may not ever be as much an all around player as Elton, but he may play bigger on defense(in the future).

VinceBlack

Reaction score
I was able to watch Ike play live against the Jazz last Friday. He was a load on the block, and when he got the ball down low it was almost automatic. He had very quick post moves and great touch on the ball. He also had a couple of nice blocks and played very physical. He ran the floor surprisingly well too. For a short time, he was the best player on the floor.

On one play, though, he didn't rotate quick enough on defense and Deron Williams dunked it on his head. Now that boy is good.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I really liked Diogu in college too, but it's still a surprise for me how good he looked on the floor in the NBA.

I expected him to struggle at adjusting to the higher speed of the NBA but he looks like one of the more mobile PF's.
I had no doubt that his very skilled post-play, soft touch and great hustle will make him a valuable NBA player but now I'm starting to wonder (I Know it's too early) why couldn't he become an All-Star caliber player.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I think he will be the best ASU player ever....even over Byron Scott....

Cal Cheaney said he was an "Elton Brand" clone and i thought despite his heigth his game is taylor made for the NBA. I look for big things from him....

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
I think he will be the best ASU player ever....even over Byron Scott....

Cal Cheaney said he was an "Elton Brand" clone and i thought despite his heigth his game is taylor made for the NBA. I look for big things from him....
besides house of course.:D

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's possible that he could become an all-star in the future. I guess I have doubts for a couple of reasons:

1. Brand has had trouble getting on the all-star team with all the strong forwards in the west.

2. Diogu has taken a while to develop his game to the level he's at and stayed in college longer than most PF that end up being dominant in the league (not including Duncan). I realize that doesn't mean he can't continue to improve, but if he had the potential then why did he get on everyone's radar so late and stay in college so long.

3. He's undersized height-wise

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
jbeecham said:
2. Diogu has taken a while to develop his game to the level he's at and stayed in college longer than most PF that end up being dominant in the league (not including Duncan). I realize that doesn't mean he can't continue to improve, but if he had the potential then why did he get on everyone's radar so late and stay in college so long.

He was always on everyone's radar. He led the pac 10 in scoring 2 years in a row, was a runner up for the naismith award his sophmore season. He was also first team all Pac10 every year he played.

The problem was ASU was never really on the national map, so there was a giant media buzz around him. Had he been in a big time program he probably would have been pressured to leave after his freshman year, definitely after his soph.

OP
OP
TucsonDevil

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
He was also the Pac-10 Freshman of the year.... and don't forget a huge stat - he would lead the nation in free-throw attempts - nearly double the attempts of the second person (well it seemed to almost be double) while shooting a good % from the line. He was the only reason ASU went to the Tourney twice during his 4 years. That team is just horrible without him. Horrible.

Finally, he is an unassuming guy and not a punk and continued to take advice from coaches and family throughout his college career... IF Lute had grabbed him... they would have had a least 2 more championships.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
TucsonDevil said:
He was also the Pac-10 Freshman of the year.... and don't forget a huge stat - he would lead the nation in free-throw attempts - nearly double the attempts of the second person (well it seemed to almost be double) while shooting a good % from the line. He was the only reason ASU went to the Tourney twice during his 4 years. That team is just horrible without him. Horrible.

Finally, he is an unassuming guy and not a punk and continued to take advice from coaches and family throughout his college career... IF Lute had grabbed him... they would have had a least 2 more championships.

We only went to the tourny once during Ike's 3 years, two times total in the last 10 years. I wish we went twice with Ike but that wasn't the case. I figured I would clear that up before a UofA fan did..... Ike's gonna be awesome in the league. A couple weeks before the draft it looked like he might drop to us but that obviously didn't happen. The old Stanford coach and current Warriors coach, Mike Montgomery, said that Ike was the best collegiate big man he has ever coached against. Pretty obvious why they took him..... Ike's the man