I'm glad we don't have Odom

fordronken

Reaction score
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/trai...=bucher_ric&page=lakershawaiifiveobservations

On media day, Lamar Odom talked about retiring when his current contract expires after next season. On the first day of training camp, he walked off the court carrying a book, "Safe in the Arms of God, Truth from Heaven About the Death of a Child." In between, he said hearing his name in trade talks this summer was "hurtful." All of which suggests the biggest concern about Odom is a bit farther north than his twice-surgically repaired left shoulder.

Odom lost his six-month-old son Jayden last summer, an absence deepened by his wife and their two other kids deciding to spend this season in New York, their offseason home. "That means eight months not seeing my kids," he says. "That's why I like the idea of retiring and maybe just being a father."

His state of mind is understandable, even admirable, and there are few players in the league more personable. But considering the Lakers' margin of error this season and all the other potential pitfalls they will have to navigate just to make it back to the playoffs, Odom's distracted state is hardly encouraging.

He's a noble sounding, good guy, but I'm glad he's not here instead of Shawn Marion.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well, cant blame him. Lost his baby, then his family away from him most of the year. Im surprise he didnt have a nervous break down. Maybe it affected his game a bit.

he is a good guy and just unfortunate not to have found a team that can maximize all of his capabilities, well uncontrollable scenarios as what happened to his kid doesnt help either.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've got that book sitting on my desk at this moment. I use it often when comforting people who've lost children.

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
He's a noble sounding, good guy, but I'm glad he's not here instead of Shawn Marion.

Lamar on the offseason trade talk:
"It bothers you a little bit, especially when you thought you'd proven yourself to be worthy of being here," said Odom, about to begin his fourth season with the Los Angeles Lakers -- assuming he's not moved before the end of the month.

"...especially when you thought you'd proven yourself to be worthy of being here" If Lamar was about to begin his NINTH season with the same team and had been hearing those rumors every offseason for the past 3-4 years, he'd probably be bothered more than just a little bit. Maybe even enough to ask for a trade.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love Lamar Odom and I'm glad you Suns don't have him either.

He frustrates me on the court from time to time, but he is not lazy and he works his ass off.

ndjmc

Do or Do not.
Reaction score
Dude listen to this guys problems and it makes Marion look like a fool.. a bigger fool....