I'm listening to...

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
This is a band that has one or two songs that are overplayed. this is not one of them IMO. and good debate here. is journey the American version queen? they have a great singer and really good stadium guitar player in their own right. Queen is a whole other level of popular in Britain. they might be right there with the Beatles.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Journey is my favorite band...I think... my taste varies day to day but I always come back to Journey.
They are a local band...started in frisco.... steve perry was a gilroy pig farmer.... but after Journey kinda broke up,...steve used to do shows at music festivals here in town with a journey cover band.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I like both Queen and Journey, but I have overplayed Journey.

What I wouldn't have given to see them perform in their prime, Freddie Mercury and Steve Perry.
same! I was a little too young for both. I did not realize the level of Queen's popularity in the UK until I lived there. they blow just about everyone out except the Beatles..rock band wise.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
same! I was a little too young for both. I did not realize the level of Queen's popularity in the UK until I lived there. they blow just about everyone out except the Beatles..rock band wise.

For some reason, I was never a huge Beatles fan. If I had been given the choice, I would have gone to a Queen concert.

Freddie Mercury was electric.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Journey is my favorite band...I think... my taste varies day to day but I always come back to Journey.
They are a local band...started in frisco.... steve perry was a gilroy pig farmer.... but after Journey kinda broke up,...steve used to do shows at music festivals here in town with a journey cover band.
my parents loved them. I came back to them when I was older. I love Steve Perry's voice. and Neal is a very good guitar player. IMO Perry is as good as I've ever heard. and that includes Freddy. Freddy had the octive ranges. so did Chris Cornell and to some degree Robert plant in his younger days.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my parents loved them. I came back to them when I was older. I love Steve Perry's voice. and Neal is a very good guitar player. IMO Perry is as good as I've ever heard. and that includes Freddy. Freddy had the octive ranges. so did Chris Cornell and to some degree Robert plant in his younger days.

Journey has a new lead singer, but it's not the same. I preferred Steve Perry.

Robert Plant is so versatile, he is still putting out music today.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
For some reason, I was never a huge Beatles fan. If I had been given the choice, I would have gone to a Queen concert.

yeah I agree. and to clarify I meant in the UK Queen is more popular than all other rock bands except for the Beatles. I would totally rather see Queen over the Beatles. It's pretty cool to see how music is perceived in the UK vs the US.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, U2, Status Quo, Elton John, Rod Stewart, Fleetwood Mac, David Bowie, Foreigner and a few other artists/bands might dispute the (UK) blowout comment. But there's no denying Queen was huge back then even though they struggled to find their audience in the US.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, U2, Status Quo, Elton John, Rod Stewart, Fleetwood Mac, David Bowie, Foreigner and a few other artists/bands might dispute the (UK) blowout comment. But there's no denying Queen was huge back then even though they struggled to find their audience in the US.

I like all the groups you mentioned above.

Like a lot of music, I didn't fully appreciate Queen until later.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was a Beatles fan in the same way I was a fan of hundreds of other artists. I consider them to be, by far, the most important musical act of my lifetime. But I wouldn't list them among my top favorites even though I know and like more songs by them than almost any other artist - I just liked other artists more (such as the Stones and the Drifters).

And yeah, Freddie Mercury was incredible.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I've heard people say that same thing over there. and my perception might be because as you say that there is a disparity from the UK/US with Queen. I had people say that Zeppelin were more popular there than in the USA. and I didn't feel that at all in my time there. I'm just going off of the mainstream and pop culture from my time that I spent there from 2016-2019. I could easily be wrong because that is a very short period of time. There were other perceptions that I had like Whitney Houston and Lionell Ritchie being much more popular there than they are in the USA.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Status Quo - Caroline - Download ,Donington Park 14-6 2014

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
yeah I agree. and to clarify I meant in the UK Queen is more popular than all other rock bands except for the Beatles. I would totally rather see Queen over the Beatles. It's pretty cool to see how music is perceived in the UK vs the US.
ya know...Im kinda there too. I was a huge Beatles fan back in my playing days. But most of their stuff, while okay, just does not draw me to permanence anymore.
But the thing is.... you cant find any rock music created in the past fifty years that John and Paul did not influence.
it still amazes me how the world got to watch those guys evolve from Please Please Me being a 1950's esque carryover of the "Nice Boy" image,... then into the sixties psychadelia with Sgt Peppers, Revolver, and The White Album...and straight into flower child hippies by 1970 with Let it Be,
nah... it was a different generation. But the Beatles are still the best there ever was.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
ya know...Im kinda there too. I was a huge Beatles fan back in my playing days. But most of their stuff, while okay, just does not draw me to permanence anymore.
But the thing is.... you cant find any rock music created in the past fifty years that John and Paul did not influence.
it still amazes me how the world got to watch those guys evolve from Please Please Me being a 1950's esque carryover of the "Nice Boy" image,... then into the sixties psychadelia with Sgt Peppers, Revolver, and The White Album...and straight into flower child hippies by 1970 with Let it Be,
nah... it was a different generation. But the Beatles are still the best there ever was.
I was always obsessed with Led Zeppelin as a young kid for some reason. probably because their music is off the charts good. I could talk for days of how bands like the Beatles, Stones, and Zeppelin transformed music. To be fair they all were influenced by old American blues artists as well. and older British/Celtic folk music as well.

I went to a Robert Plant concert in 1988 at the old reunion arena in Dallas with my dad. Plant did back in the USSR as his final encore. It was my favorite song from the set. I was like daddy I never heard that song before. he's like it's the BEATLES! when I learned how to play guitar later as a young kid I used to play a lot of Beatles songs with my dad. and back in the USSR was always one of my favorite to play with him. great memories!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard people say that same thing over there. and my perception might be because as you say that there is a disparity from the UK/US with Queen. I had people say that Zeppelin were more popular there than in the USA. and I didn't feel that at all in my time there. I'm just going off of the mainstream and pop culture from my time that I spent there from 2016-2019. I could easily be wrong because that is a very short period of time. There were other perceptions that I had like Whitney Houston and Lionell Ritchie being much more popular there than they are in the USA.
I was stationed in Germany in the early to mid 70's and Queen got a lot of airplay in Europe from their first release on. When I came back to the states in 77 I was surprised how unfamous they were among my circle of friends.

I love when movies use popular songs during strong moments and Queen has benefitted greatly from it as have the many films they've provided songs for. Some of the films that come to mind that IMO just wouldn't be the same without a song from Queen are Flash Gordon, Highlander, Dodgeball, Atomic Blonde Shaun of the Dead and especially Wayne's World.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I was stationed in Germany in the early to mid 70's and Queen got a lot of airplay in Europe from their first release on. When I came back to the states in 77 I was surprised how unfamous they were among my circle of friends.

I love when movies use popular songs during strong moments and Queen has benefitted greatly from it as have the many films they've provided songs for. Some of the films that come to mind that IMO just wouldn't be the same without a song from Queen are Flash Gordon, Highlander, Dodgeball, Atomic Blonde Shaun of the Dead and especially Wayne's World.
that's so true and so awesome! I wish I got to be stationed in Germany. that's the one place that I always wanted to live at but never got to. I felt like Queen were pop culture icons in Brittain. Brian May played God Save the Queen on top of Buckingham Palace for the Queen's golden jubilee. that was still always talked about while I was there many years later. Queen were always getting airplay on BBC radio 1 and music videos. and I think the Bohemian Rhapsody film debuted while I was there. You mentioned Elton's popularity there as well. so true! he's right there with anyone.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I was always obsessed with Led Zeppelin as a young kid for some reason. probably because their music is off the charts good. I could talk for days of how bands like the Beatles, Stones, and Zeppelin transformed music. To be fair they all were influenced by old American blues artists as well. and older British/Celtic folk music as well.

I went to a Robert Plant concert in 1988 at the old reunion arena in Dallas with my dad. Plant did back in the USSR as his final encore. It was my favorite song from the set. I was like daddy I never heard that song before. he's like it's the BEATLES! when I learned how to play guitar later as a young kid I used to play a lot of Beatles songs with my dad. and back in the USSR was always one of my favorite to play with him. great memories!
I have never been a huge Zep fan for some reason... but Plant was a great vocalist and I really thought he was on to something with this one.... that ghostly guitar rythm was totally new at the time...

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I have never been a huge Zep fan for some reason... but Plant was a great vocalist and I really thought he was on to something with this one.... that ghostly guitar rythm was totally new at the time...

I think that is Paul Rodgers and Jimmy Page? LZ's label, swan song helped introduce Bad Company if I recall correctly, and Bad Company quickly stepped out of LZ's shadow with a lot of success in their own right.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think that is Paul Rodgers and Jimmy Page? LZ's label, swan song helped introduce Bad Company if I recall correctly, and Bad Company quickly stepped out of LZ's shadow with a lot of success in their own right.
Sorry...confused my guys... Plant was with the Honeydrippers

That was where I thought he was on to something.

Still love the riff in Radioactive though

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Don't Wanna Lose You | By Gloria Stefan | Lyrics Video - KeiRGee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stbmd