In All Seriousness

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe this Sundays game isn't nearly as dreadful as people think it will be. I mean lets examine a big picture feature of this game against KC.

KC loses their starting QB and they are forced to start Damon Huard at QB, who I don't think is any better than Leinart skill-wise (his NFL experience though is of critical importance). The KC team seemed to rally a bit and crushed the Niners. One of the big question marks for the Chiefs was their OL, especially at OT and while they are not lighting it up on the ground, there seems to be some hope there.

I can see some similarities with the Cards. Cards bench their starting QB and I wonder if the team will rally around that a little bit and maybe the OL, out of a sense of pride, will actually just block some people knowing Matt is back there right now. I don't know if making OL personnel adjustments is the right move before your prized rookie QoF starts but I am not sure it can hurt very much...as long as the right moves are made.

Just a thought on how the new OL should look given what we know about players (stepping out on the limb a bit here).

Big, Wells, Leckey, Liewinski, Gorin

I know it is alot to change but here is why I do this. We have no real choice but to play Big at LT right now but that isn't Matt's blind side. Wells is probably the second best OL on the team right now (wow). Leinart has been taking alot of snaps with second teams all year and the second team C is Leckey who knows how Leinart likes the snap and who has prbably built up something of a repoire with Matt. Plus Leckey has a firmer grasp of line calls above Wells I would think. Milford Brown was involved in the fumble against the Rams, and hasn't played up to par. Liewinski can play there and can probably hold up at the point of attack better in pass protection. After watching Ross against ATL, I cannot fathom trusting Matt's blind side to him and Gorin is the best choice there.

I start out the game with a play action pass. Someone pointed out the Cards have run onb the first offensive play every single game so now is the time to spring that trap. Fake to Edge and try going deep. Have faith your new OL set will do it's job and let Matt air it out to get the jitters he will have (don't care about his college career, he will have some nerves on that first play). Likely, he overthrows it but that will immediately send a message to the Chiefs to loosen up the line of scrimmage.

Defense has got to D up and play like demons on Sunday. It is time for the talent on that side to really step up thier game to the level it should be at. Tackling is a must as the Cards cannot allow Johnson to run wild all day. If the Chiefs cram it down the Cards throats and force Rowen/Green to abandon the run like they so easily do, Leinart will be a sitting duck back there just like Warner was in ATL.

Some hurdles to overcome besides the new OL set:

1. Contain the Chiefs running attack and force Huard to beat you. If he does, then so be it but do not, under any circumstances, get pounded into the ground in your house.

2. Dante Hall returns. The Cards ST has been shaky it seems even though they purposely got ST players and a coach who has gotten rave reviews. Field position will be crucial and that means halting Hall's explosiveness.

3. Force KC out of selling out to stop Edge. This means noty cowtowing to Edge's fragile ego in getting him touches and opening it up. Don't coddle Leinart and let him throw the ball and do so downfield. The Cards have a formidable WR corp...USE IT. Do not allow another game go by where the RB has more catches than each of your top shelf WR's. Not acceptable anymore.

It will be tough but this game is winnable.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I certainly don't think the KC offense is what it was last year, but the problem is that neither is their defense--it's much improved, especially in the secondary.

KC isn;t as good as ATL, but they're still a better than average team...and I think the Cardinals will be lucky to beat average teams (largely because of the OL).

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I have no idea why anyone thinks that Reggie Wells is good or even good on this line. If we had let him go to the Bills would we have received a draft pick for him? I think I would rather have a draft pick than Reggie Wells at this point.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My biggest hope is that Matt says he prefers Leckey snapping the ball to him as they have a comfort level between each other.

This is my biggest hope of all, because Leckey >>> Step.

BirdKC

I love lamp.
Reaction score
I'm a chiefs fan so I see the world through red and gold goggles... but here's my opinion...

I agree with your strategy on how to beat KC. Stopping Larry Johnson and forcing Huard to beat you is definately how KC should be played. It didn't work for the 49ers, but perhaps the cardinals defense is better than the 49ers. (I'm not a cards fan so I'm not as familiar with your team.) The 49ers were playing 4 D lineman and 4 linebackers nearly all game, LJ still moved the ball, and it allowed Huard to pick apart the secondary.

In all honesty I don't see the chiefs losing to the cardinals. Leinart will be starting his first NFL game, and I expect the chiefs defense to capitalize on some mistakes and force turnovers. KC's defense is no joke this year (Ranked #3 in the NFL right now)

If somehow your O-line can protect leinart well enough to give him time to connect with one of your great recievers, you may have a good chance at winning.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a chiefs fan so I see the world through red and gold goggles... but here's my opinion...

I agree with your strategy on how to beat KC. Stopping Larry Johnson and forcing Huard to beat you is definately how KC should be played. It didn't work for the 49ers, but perhaps the cardinals defense is better than the 49ers. (I'm not a cards fan so I'm not as familiar with your team.) The 49ers were playing 4 D lineman and 4 linebackers nearly all game, LJ still moved the ball, and it allowed Huard to pick apart the secondary.

In all honesty I don't see the chiefs losing to the cardinals. Leinart will be starting his first NFL game, and I expect the chiefs defense to capitalize on some mistakes and force turnovers. KC's defense is no joke this year (Ranked #3 in the NFL right now)

If somehow your O-line can protect leinart well enough to give him time to connect with one of your great recievers, you may have a good chance at winning.

Man, I love when fans like you come to talk with us. Good fans who don't want to troll and aren't here to talk ish are always welcome.

:thumbup:

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, welcome BirdKC. :thumbup:

BirdKC

I love lamp.
Reaction score
Man, I love when fans like you come to talk with us. Good fans who don't want to troll and aren't here to talk ish are always welcome.

:thumbup:

Thanks man i appreciate that. After reading some of this forum I decided to join because this forum has a lot of intelligent discussion. You wouldn't believe how many idiots there are on broncos and raiders forums...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks man i appreciate that. After reading some of this forum I decided to join because this forum has a lot of intelligent discussion. You wouldn't believe how many idiots there are on broncos and raiders forums...

Oh yes we would.

Every forum has their share of idiots, this one included.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And you caught us in the last throes of a second Suicide Monday in a row. Intelligent discussion is limited on those days. :)

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Bird, I haven't seen any KC games. Can you breakdown your defense for us? How fast are they? How good is your defensive backfield? How does your pass rush look and do you guys blitz alot or are you able to get pressure with just the front 4?

Cards have 2 very good WR's and a 3rd who can get deep (dropped a sure completion last weekend though). TE seems to be a question mark for the Cards. OL is in disrepair right now. RB is essentially James and he seems slow to me and with no OL he never gets going very often.

BirdKC

I love lamp.
Reaction score
Bird, I haven't seen any KC games. Can you breakdown your defense for us? How fast are they? How good is your defensive backfield? How does your pass rush look and do you guys blitz alot or are you able to get pressure with just the front 4?

Cards have 2 very good WR's and a 3rd who can get deep (dropped a sure completion last weekend though). TE seems to be a question mark for the Cards. OL is in disrepair right now. RB is essentially James and he seems slow to me and with no OL he never gets going very often.

I'd love to break it down for you.

here's our projected starters on defense:

DE Jared Allen
DT Ron Edwards (or Ryan Sims)
DT James Reed (or Lional Dalton)
DE Tamba Hali

OLB Derrick Johnson
MLB Kawika Mitchell (Pronounced Kuh-VEE-kuh)
OLB Kendrell Bell

CB Patrick Surtain
CB Ty Law
SS Sammy Knight (you will also see playing time from Jarrad Page)
FS Greg Wesley

------------
I'll start with the weakest part of our Defense, because this year, it appears there may not be much of a weakness (only time will tell.)
Our defensive tackles are easily the weakest spot on our D. If you will notice, both backups were our starters last year. This shows we have made improvement. If our defensive ends come at Lineart from the sides he may be able to step up in the pocket and throw the ball. Our defensive tackles aren't that big and may not create enough of a push up front.

Now, the defensive ends. Jared Allen is going to sack your QB. Tamba Hali will probably force your QB to fumble. Tamba may in fact eat your QB. Hali is already making noise in his rookie year, and you will see in the upcoming game, he has an amazing first step, and he never quits. Don't be surprised if Tamba is moved around to different spots on the line to create different match ups. Jared Allen looks like a happy little kid scrambling towards candy at a parade. He isn't graceful, but he's going to find a way to get to your QB.

Linebackers. Derrick Johnson is a monster. He will lead the team in tackles this game. He has a very low tackle that will bring down anyone. Kawika Mitchell saw much improvement last year. I think this will be his breakout year, he has already deflected a pass and is always around the ball. I'd say Kendrell Bell is the least productive of the linebackers, but he does his job well. (at least he is now, last season our QB trent green had more tackles than him in 2 seperate games)

Secondary: You have a young QB. We have to pro bowl cornerbacks. It's not going to be a fun day for Leinart. People say Ty Law has lost a step and this may be true. But he is still one of the best in the league. I imagine he will be able to bait Leinart into thinking a reciever is open and then will make an interception. You may not see Leinart throw to whoever Surtain is covering...because well, he'll probably be covered. Your great reciever's should still be able to make some good plays however. Our safeties are hard hitters. Look for some huge hits from Wesley and Page. Sammy Knight isn't very fast but he makes up for it in how smart he is on defense. I'd say your quick recievers may be able to be productive against Knight. In that case you will see Page step on the field and make some huge hits.

Alot of that may seem very biased. Well, I am a KC fan. But after years of crappy defense, I can say that this year, we have one to be proud of.

P.S. We blitz ALOT. Perhaps too much.

Last edited:

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great story. Compelling and rich.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You will beat us by at least 2 TDs.

We'll ONCE AGAIN give up the Opening Drive TD. Turnover....14-0 by the end of the first.

BirdKC

I love lamp.
Reaction score
I forgot to mention a few things.

KC plays the Cover 2 defense (this is new for us, Herm Edwards brought it here). So, you should be able to complete some short passes.

Our run defense has been pretty good, but could get better. I think with a different o-line, you guys could have some success against it. But i'm not sure I see any success for Edge this game. If Edge hasn't been introduced to Mr. Derrick Johnson, he will be several times in that game.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

KC plays the Cover 2 defense (this is new for us, Herm Edwards brought it here). So, you should be able to complete some short passes.

Our run defense has been pretty good, but could get better. I think with a different o-line, you guys could have some success against it. But i'm not sure I see any success for Edge this game. If Edge hasn't been introduced to Mr. Derrick Johnson, he will be several times in that game.

I'll give you last year's entire Draft for Johnson.

Rolle
Arrington
and a bunch of other nobodys

BirdKC

I love lamp.
Reaction score
I'll give you last year's entire Draft for Johnson.

Rolle
Arrington
and a bunch of other nobodys

Hmm.. I wouldn't be very popular if I authorized that...

how about The entire squad of KC's ugly ass cheerleaders for... I dunno.. Larry Fitzgerald?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The part of the SF game I saw DJ was all over the field. I wanted him over Rolle myself, love the kid.

That said, I think you overstate your pass defense a little. Cincy was using Palmer very gingerly that first game, especially after green got hurt I think they wanted to ease Carson back into playing they threw very few balls. Then Denver whose pass offense was in total disarray, and then SF with Alex Smith. you have 6 sacks in 3 games. Our OL stinks I have no question you'll get some pressure but 5 of those 6 sacks came last week in a game you won 41-0 and were able to just rush the passer for much of the game.

No question KC's defense is improved and you'll get pressure on Matt without a doubt but I think we'll pass for more than 120 yards which I think is what you're allowing per game on the season so far.

BirdKC

I love lamp.
Reaction score
The part of the SF game I saw DJ was all over the field. I wanted him over Rolle myself, love the kid.

That said, I think you overstate your pass defense a little. Cincy was using Palmer very gingerly that first game, especially after green got hurt I think they wanted to ease Carson back into playing they threw very few balls. Then Denver whose pass offense was in total disarray, and then SF with Alex Smith. you have 6 sacks in 3 games. Our OL stinks I have no question you'll get some pressure but 5 of those 6 sacks came last week in a game you won 41-0 and were able to just rush the passer for much of the game.

No question KC's defense is improved and you'll get pressure on Matt without a doubt but I think we'll pass for more than 120 yards which I think is what you're allowing per game on the season so far.

Perhaps I did overstate the passing D a little.

i'm going off of what i've seen in the actual games and less off of stats.

In the Cincy game, Carson didn't really look limited to me. They let them run the no huddle, and carson was successful with it. (it was the only successful long drive that the bengals had that game) Bengals managed to score some points, but I would attribute that to the fact that KC's offense was making stupid turnovers, and giving Cincinnati a short field to work with.

Vs. Denver KC's defense looked really good and basically kept KC in the game with our back up QB handing the ball off all game. I don't think Denver was at a full swing offensively yet, but the chiefs D still looked good.

Vs. San Francisco. SF had the 4th best offense coming into this game. Smith hadn't thrown an INT in his first 3 games. He threw 2 against us. the 49ers never got past our 35 yard line. In the 2nd half the 49ers only crossed the 50 yard line once...and they were put back on the otherside of it the very next play.

The chiefs haven't allowed a touchdown in 10 straight quarters.

All of that said, I do think Arizona will have more success with the pass than other teams have had against KC this year. I fully expect Arizona to score a touchdown and make some big plays. Chiefs defense should still be able to hold AZ to 10 points.

We'll see on sunday though!

BirdKC

I love lamp.
Reaction score
If you guys score more than 10 points I will come on this board and admit to being an idiot. I promise that :-D

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I did overstate the passing D a little.

i'm going off of what i've seen in the actual games and less off of stats.

In the Cincy game, Carson didn't really look limited to me. They let them run the no huddle, and carson was successful with it. (it was the only successful long drive that the bengals had that game) Bengals managed to score some points, but I would attribute that to the fact that KC's offense was making stupid turnovers, and giving Cincinnati a short field to work with.

Vs. Denver KC's defense looked really good and basically kept KC in the game with our back up QB handing the ball off all game. I don't think Denver was at a full swing offensively yet, but the chiefs D still looked good.

Vs. San Francisco. SF had the 4th best offense coming into this game. Smith hadn't thrown an INT in his first 3 games. He threw 2 against us. the 49ers never got past our 35 yard line. In the 2nd half the 49ers only crossed the 50 yard line once...and they were put back on the otherside of it the very next play.

The chiefs haven't allowed a touchdown in 10 straight quarters.

All of that said, I do think Arizona will have more success with the pass than other teams have had against KC this year. I fully expect Arizona to score a touchdown and make some big plays. Chiefs defense should still be able to hold AZ to 10 points.

We'll see on sunday though!

Well I should point out that you're just using yards when you say the 49ers were ranked that high and that's largely because they were behind in some of the games so they threw the ball alot. But of course that was also true Sunday and Smith was not able to throw the ball against KC the way he did against us or against Philly the week before.

I was quite impressed with KC's defense from what I saw I just think that Alex Smith can make you look a lot better than you really are sometimes.:D

But I do agree you have excellent CB's, I badly wanted the Cards to try and sign Surtain and there were a lot of people on this board screaming for Ty Law this offseason.

I think the Chiefs are the better team without question.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And if they don't score more than 10, I'll come on this board and admit you're an idiot, too.

;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05