Insider - Chad Ford's Mock Draft, Version 2: Picks 1 to 30

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Bball, don't get too stressed about these mock drafts. Still at this point it's a guessing game, and there's tons of misinformation getting thrown out there by the teams.

I'll actually be very, very surprised if the Suns actually take two draft picks. I think it's much more likely that they'd trade up, trade one of their picks, or trade both of their picks and out of the draft altogether.

Joe Mama

or we could let a prospect develop in Europe.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I'm sorry but this sounds like CJake city.

I would like to see the Suns trade both picks for anything. Maybe both picks for a first next year or a young player that might excel in our system ala Diaw.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
devilalum said:
a young player that might excel in our system ala Diaw.
A guy whose potential I've always liked is Travis Outlaw. He's super athletic and can block a few shots. I wonder what the new regime in Portland thinks of him.

OP
OP
S

sunsfn

Reaction score
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Here is 21 - 30 from NBAdraft. If the suns could trade one of their picks to someone for a future pick and just have one pick this year, I could be happy with one of the remaining on this list.[/FONT]

I would like to see them trade 2 for 1 and move up, but if they do that they have to move up considerably and probably do it with some players involved. Picks 15 to 21 might not be any better player.
So, trade one of the picks for another years 1st, draft a player at 21/27 and leave him overseas, or include it/them with a trade.

Two players from this draft (21 & 27) are not going to help the suns for 3 years and they are not in a building mode right now, they are in a winning/money crunch mode.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
You must be registered for see images
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]*Phoenix [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kyle Lowry 6-0 185 PG Villanova So.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]51.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]*NewJersey [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mardy Collins 6-6 205 PG/SG Temple Sr.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]52.[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]y[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hilton Armstrong 6-11 235 C UConn Sr.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]53.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]*Seattle[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Eric Williams 6-8 280 PF Wake Forest Sr. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]24.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]s[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Maurice Ager 6-4 202 SG Mich. St. Sr.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]54.[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]d [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Quincy Douby 6-3 175 PG/SG Rutgers Jr.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]*LA Lakers [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rajon Rondo 6-2 171 PG Kentucky So.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]x[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Marcus Vinicius 6-9 235 SF Brazil 1984[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]57.[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]as[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Louis Amundson 6-8 225 SF UNLV Sr.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]58.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]*New York [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Josh Boone 6-10 237 PF UConn Jr.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]59.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]*Portland [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Saer Sene 7-0 235 C Sen. 1986[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Here is 21 - 30 from NBAdraft. If the suns could trade one of their picks to someone for a future pick and just have one pick this year, I could be happy with one of the remaining on this list.[/FONT]

I would like to see them trade 2 for 1 and move up, but if they do that they have to move up considerably and probably do it with some players involved. Picks 15 to 21 might not be any better player.
So, trade one of the picks for another years 1st, draft a player at 21/27 and leave him overseas, or include it/them with a trade.

Two players from this draft (21 & 27) are not going to help the suns for 3 years and they are not in a building mode right now, they are in a winning/money crunch mode.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]*Phoenix [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kyle Lowry 6-0 185 PG Villanova So.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]51.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]*NewJersey [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mardy Collins 6-6 205 PG/SG Temple Sr.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]52.[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]y[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hilton Armstrong 6-11 235 C UConn Sr.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]53.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]*Seattle[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Eric Williams 6-8 280 PF Wake Forest Sr. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]24.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]s[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Maurice Ager 6-4 202 SG Mich. St. Sr.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]54.[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]d [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Quincy Douby 6-3 175 PG/SG Rutgers Jr.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]*LA Lakers [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rajon Rondo 6-2 171 PG Kentucky So.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]x[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Marcus Vinicius 6-9 235 SF Brazil 1984[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]57.[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]as[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Louis Amundson 6-8 225 SF UNLV Sr.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]58.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]*New York [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Josh Boone 6-10 237 PF UConn Jr.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]59.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]*Portland [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Saer Sene 7-0 235 C Sen. 1986[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

if we take lowry over rondo i'll be pissed. but then again, i was pissed when we took marion over maggette and pissed when we took nash over john wallace, so i'll just shut up (for now).

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rondo seems to generate more love and more hate than player being discussed. I did not see enough of him to draw any conclusions.

One thing is clear, we have no basis for guessing. There was an oddly comforting aspect to BC in that we knew what he had done in the past, as well as their propensity for doing the unexpected (good and bad). Do we really know what David Griffin and Mark West are thinking?

How much imput will D'Antoni have? Supposedly he will have a lot more than last summer, but he hasn't had much time to think about the draft.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
nm132 said:
A guy whose potential I've always liked is Travis Outlaw. He's super athletic and can block a few shots. I wonder what the new regime in Portland thinks of him.

He could be real good eventually but so far he's a tweener struggling with consistency... He didn't play many minutes in the games I saw so I can't really comment on him otherwise. The new regime in portland hasn't solidified yet.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
LaMarcus Aldridge is a stud, I'm still watching Games lol - Taj Gray played well against Texas too.

James White had a nice game against Syracuse and Syracuse has a pretty good swing in Nichols... he's still a little thin though.

Still no Diaz or Douby though :p

Aldridge scored almost every way possible: hooks, dunks, 15 footers, turn arounds, etc. - no 3PTers or FT's as of yet though lol I'd Trade that Hawks Pick if I knew I could get Aldridge, assuming the Pick has enough value... because I'm not sure what else I'd Trade along with it (one of the #21 or #27) but not sure anybody would be interested in Kurt Thomas? I like Barbosa... probably a dream.

Marion's my favorite player, if you had him in mind :p

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Well anyone think one of the top picks could be had for the Haws pick and maybe a future pick?

I would like to trade Barbosa, Kurt Thomas and #27 for PJ Brown, JR Smith and #15 and get Rono at #15 or whatever PG we like best.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
slinslin said:
Well anyone think one of the top picks could be had for the Haws pick and maybe a future pick?

I would like to trade Barbosa, Kurt Thomas and #27 for PJ Brown, JR Smith and #15 and get Rono at #15 or whatever PG we like best.

If you don't want Kurt Thomas, why do you want PJ Brown? He's basically an older Kurt Thomas ... with less offensive skills.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
devilalum said:
I'm sorry but this sounds like CJake city.

I would like to see the Suns trade both picks for anything. Maybe both picks for a first next year or a young player that might excel in our system ala Diaw.

Just because Jacobsen didn't turn out doesn't mean the Suns are jinxed permanently.

JoRain

Registered
Reaction score
Personally I think Suns should draft Sergio Rodriguez ar a backup pointguard if the chance occurs.This guy can play, he's just 20 and I really think he can become second Steve Nash, especially if he gets mentored by him.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
slinslin said:

I'm impatient to get something of value out of the draft so I entirely agree, however unlikely, that we should trade the hawks pick and our pick (or if desparate the lakers pick) to move up and get a quality contributor. Plus grab Sene if he's there at the 21st:D

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Suns better keep that Hawks pick, the more I hear about next years projected draft the more I think the Suns are going to get an abosolute stud with it.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
SunsTzu said:
The Suns better keep that Hawks pick, the more I hear about next years projected draft the more I think the Suns are going to get an abosolute stud with it.
Going through the list on draftexpress I wouldn't want anyone in the lottery but Noah, McRoberts, or Oden who would be gone by the time we selected (theoretically). I guess everyone but me hopes D'A is prudent with his trading.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
SunsTzu said:

The only 3 Prospects I see as good as Aldridge in next years Draft are:

Greg Oden C
Joakim Noah F/C
Kevin Durant PF

I really like Julian Wright as well but unless he grows a few inches, Aldridge is more of a need, one of the big men that played well in McDonalds Game could have a breakout year but that's 4... and everyone is assuming because the Pick is Top 3 - that the Suns will get 4 for some reason. The Pick could be in the Top 3, which means (reading this board) that Marion will be Traded (ugh) and no Draft Pick... or even falling down the order.

I don't want to Trade Marion but if next year is the year, he does indeed get Traded... this upcoming year COULD be the one year the Team has a shot still with Marion on board, adding Stoudemire and LaMarcus Aldridge. I'm just saying I would if Aldridge was available.

Josh McRoberts does NOT excite ME at all and most of the top tier talent would be Freshman. The top 3 are studs but I wouldn't go into Season thinking that 4 or 5 of freshman are going to be studs off the bat and I watched the McDonalds not too long ago... a few wings could be pretty good but they're soooo young.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
BbaLL_31 said:
Josh McRoberts does NOT excite ME at all
What have you seen that suggests he wouldn't be good on the Suns? Oden sounds like the next Robinson from the descriptions. Any team could benefit from him but could the Suns style be better suited to Noah? [On a side note, how cool is it that Diaw is mentioned in Noah's best case scenario comparison.] All speculation of course. Unless we had a good shot at getting Noah I'd just assume trade out of that draft in favor of getting Aldridge (if we can wheel and deal successfully). He does sound like he's only average as an NBA athlete though...

Last edited:

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
McRoberts got dominated by Tyrus Thomas (not the stats really show it), let alone Glen Davis... they made him look pretty bad. Sheldin Williams at least held his own... unless he gets taller, I think he's going to be slightly under 6'10 and he's going to need to gain a lot of weight (which means the decent athleticism he has could be effected)...

Statwise obviously he will improve but he didn't impress ME as much as I thought he would, he's decent but to keep Hawks Pick and bypass Aldridge who IMO is a stud now (assuming we even have a shot at him) - I just think of McRoberts being similar to Googs, Chris Webber lite, or Antawn Jamison... while Aldridge is closer to Marcus Camby, David Robinson lite... McRoberts has a year to prove he's going to be that good (and I have my doubts), while Aldridge can play a role ala Camby now.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
BbaLL_31 said:
The only 3 Prospects I see as good as Aldridge in next years Draft are:

Greg Oden C
Joakim Noah F/C
Kevin Durant PF

Well I'm higher on Splitter than most, but though I've only seen him play a handful I think he and Noah will be similar players. Also I've seen several people who are quite high on Spencer Hawes as well. Though it's hard to say how everything pans out next year.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Hawks pick is a wildcard. It could be as low as 4 and as high as the late lottery (there are a lot of weak teams so it is not a lock that the Hawks might not win 25 to 30). However, trading out and losing a shot at a stud should not be done lightly.

If you could trade out for Aldridge, then I'd say do it on the "bird in the hand" model. That seems unlikely and I'm not sure there are many other guys who would be worth the Hawks pick.