Insider - Steve Nash and Bill Russell are one and the same -- Bill Walton

sunsfn

Reaction score
Updated: May 19, 2006, 11:22 AM ET

Steve Nash and Bill Russell are one and the same

By Bill Walton
ESPN Insider

The similarities between Steve Nash (my favorite current player) and Bill Russell (my all-time favorite player) are astounding.
Both were born in remote outposts of civilization that were wracked by unconscionable racial hatred and segregation. Both of their families spirited them off to more favorable environs at a very early age.
Both came to basketball comparatively late in life.
Neither one was a highly regarded high school player.

Each received only one college scholarship offer -- to different, but similarly small, Jesuit schools in the San Francisco Bay Area. Neither one was expected or predicted to excel in the NBA.
Both were traded early in their careers.
Both were told at early stages in their careers that they would have little to no chance of being successful in basketball.
Both are the most unlikely multiple-MVP award winners in the NBA's illustrious history.

Both play a totally unique game -- completely focused on the successes of their teammates.
Both are wrongly considered one-dimensional players, supposedly with serious deficiencies in at least half of what the game is about.
Both are relatively undersized and ungifted physical specimens who would never be considered winners of the genetic lottery.
Both are very quiet, soft-spoken personalities who always let their game do their talking for them.
Both are driven and guided by an extremely strong moral and social compass.
Neither one has ever been remotely interested in individual recognition or credit.
Neither ever tries to draw attention to himself.
In their respective careers there was not a single other player in the entire league remotely like them in terms of style and/or substance.
Both do endless amounts of charitable work that they never reveal to the world.

Even though their games could not be more different from each other's, they both lead or led teams that defined their era's brilliance and popularity.
Both have stood tall in the face of outrageous adversity and have spoken out strongly about the world's maddening injustices.
Neither one ever blames other people or forces for their own failures, shortcomings or mistakes.
Both Nash and Russell won MVP awards while generally acknowledged as not being the best player in the NBA.
Both shared one clear attribute … their biggest impact was that they made the other four guys on the court better players.
Neither one of these guys ever "coasted" in a game … they only knew how to play with total focus.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Nice, but Bill also thinks Richard Jefferson and Jordan are the same....

gdiddy

Registered
Reaction score
Bill Walton loves to talk. I get sick to my stomach when I hear him. He's the shakespeare of pro basketball.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang, I guess the secret to winning Walton's heart is three-tier:

- Live in the Bay Area at some point in your life
- Read Marx
- Dress like just walked off the set of "Up in Smoke"

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah they're the same guy except for the fact that

Nash is a pg, Russell was a center
Nash gets assists, Russell got blocks and rebounds
Nash is white
Russell jumped

and oh yeah

Russell has like 10 rings.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
I remember he made mention of this in game 6. I can't believe he wrote an article to expand upon such a ******** comparison.

saxmanager

Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
Dang, I guess the secret to winning Walton's heart is three-tier:

- Live in the Bay Area at some point in your life
- Read Marx
- Dress like just walked off the set of "Up in Smoke"

Gaddabout, is that Elvin Jones? Does "Gadd" in Gaddabout refer to Steve Gadd?

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
people comparing Nash and Russell physically.. i dont think that was the point.. nor their overall achievements..

Walton is comparing Nash's role to the Suns to that of Bill Russell back then with the Celtics.. basically stars/MVPs who were not regarded as the best overall players nor regarded as the most talented... but had tremendous impact on the league/team both on and off... similarities in their impacts basically.