Interesting Article on the affect of EDGE...

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
How Edge MIght Solve Two Problems: Part 1
You must be registered for see images

By: Brad Keller
Associate Editor
Date: Apr 12, 2006

The Edgerrin James signing has been the biggest thing to hit Arizona Football since...ever. How big is it? Associate Editor Brad Keller believes it might be bigger than anyone thinks, because James' abilities suit the Cardinals, their strengths AND their weaknesses, perfectly.

Before I get too far into this, let me make one thing perfectly clear: I do not like Edgerrin James. I think he’s overrated, a liability in the red zone, and self-absorbed. I wouldn’t have him on my team. That being said, I think he’s an ideal fit for the Arizona Cardinals.

When it first became public knowledge that James was going to become a free agent, I decided that it only made sense for him to sign with one of three teams: the Colts, the Vikings… or the Cardinals. The reason for this is that James is not your stereotypical featured back. While he’s the type of back that can carry the ball 30 times a game, it’s not his long-suit. While it is possible to have him run out of an I-formation, to do so would be to drastically underutilize his natural abilities. He has never been and never will be a guy that you can count on for 30 hard carries out of a two-back set that will wear down defenses and be counted on to break the occasional big play. He’s at his best when he can pick his hole out of a spread formation and make the defense pay with 25 touches per game, including critical third down receptions.

The funny thing is, the Cardinals drafted someone that fits this profile last year. Why didn’t J.J. Arrington pan out? The simple answer is that James has more intelligence, natural athletic ability, vision, instinct, and pass-blocking ability in his gold teeth than Arrington has in his entire body.

That’s really why the Cardinals should cut Arrington and keep Shipp. Shipp and James would work well as a combination of non-traditional featured back and “change of pace” back combination than the non-traditional featured back and “guy that’s nowhere near as good as the featured back and thus doesn’t deserve any of our attention” combination that James and Arrington offer. But that’s a story for another time.

As I’m sure you all remember, this article is about “How Edge Might Solve Two Problems,” so let’s get back to that.

Working out of a three receiver, one back, one tight end set (or four receivers and Edge, I’m not picky), the offense will be able to maximize Edge’s production, much in the way the Colts have all these years. As Tony Dungy pointed out, Dennis Green runs an offense that is almost identical to Dungy’s. The primary difference the last few years has been that the Colts had Manning and James and the Cardinals… didn’t. At least until now.

The Colts’ best kept secret of the Manning and James era has been that they don’t have offensive lineman that are terribly good. For the most part, they’re good and terrible. They’ve drafted lineman on the second day consistently for the last eight years because Manning gets rid of the ball quickly and James has an almost superhuman ability to read the hole, make the first man miss, and explode. Because of the talents of Manning and James, the Colts’ offensive line has been given more credit than it deserves.

While the Cardinals still have Kurt Warner and his tediously long decision making process behind center, they now have James behind Warner. James will make the Cardinals’ seemingly anemic offensive line better in the running game and the passing game.

James is at his best when he can get the ball 7 yards deep, read the defense, pick his hole, make the first man through the hole miss, and accelerate. As luck would have it (and I’m sure this is more than a happy coincidence), that’s the type of running attack Dennis Green likes to deploy. The good news for Cardinals fans that are nervous about the offensive line for the coming season is that the lineman don’t really have to do too much to make this approach work. They don’t need to trap. They don’t need to pull. They don’t need to drive the defender into the second level. They simply need to maintain their blocks and move their defender in whatever direction he’s already going.

Edge will find the hole. Edge will make the linebacker or safety coming through the hole miss. And if the defense gets too aggressive, Edge will cut back against pursuit and really make the defense pay. He did this quite often early in his career until defenses realized that the best way to contain Edge (because he’s not been easy to stop, unless Manning stopped calling running plays) is to be patient and make sure the first guy through the hole brings him down; which is easier said than done.

Would it help if the Cardinals employed a group of linemen that were faster, more agile, more intelligent, and stronger? Of course. Is it absolutely necessary? Nope. Just ask the Colts. Edge has compiled more individual 1,000 yard seasons in his career running behind rookie undrafted

Djaughe

Reaction score
JC_AZ said:
Edge has compiled more individual 1,000 yard seasons in his career running behind rookie undrafted...

:computer:

Where's the rest of the article?

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
:thud:

Stop I can't take waiting for the season to start!!!

I think alot of peeps here have been saying the very same thing. But it is good to hear it from someone who doesn't even like Edge.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
The self-absorbed comment is completely baseless nonesense. He is anything but.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
joeshmo said:

I think he gets that opinion from Edges third cog vs. first cog complaints in Indy. I don't agree with him of course. I also think Edge will love being a Cardinal considering just how much love he is already getting on this board and fans.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
This past season I had a coach friend come out for the Carolina game and he made the comment after the game that the Offensive line never sustained there blocks the entire game and that was the fundemental part of what was wrong with our running game. He being an Offensive line coach and a Head coach in HS at one time made me think he knew what he was talking about. I feel as if the Line coach last season could not convey to the players what they needed to do in DG Offense to help the running game. Edge will be more successful but I think the new OL coach will help convey what is needed to make Edge the most effective. After that game I watched more earnstly the line play on offense and saw the missed blocks and the non sustained blocks of the lineman. I think they were under coached as well as being injured and unmotivated. I think that will change this season and this offense will have balance. Lets hope it leads to more Wins and the Playoffs.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:

it's because of his contract problems over and over with the Colts, and his insistence on working out on his own with the Colts.

I agree though on the field he's the consummate team player, he gives himself up in pass blocking all the time.

I think the OL is bound to be better than last year but if it's not it's going to take some superhuman efforts from Edge to always make the first guy miss when that first guy has a running start to hit you right after you take the handoff. I'm sure hoping we aren't seeing that crap again this year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PortlandCardFan said:
I think he gets that opinion from Edges third cog vs. first cog complaints in Indy. I don't agree with him of course. I also think Edge will love being a Cardinal considering just how much love he is already getting on this board and fans.

He also has a Ricky Watters habit of complaining he's not getting the ball enough when he's near leading the NFL in touches.

but I'd rather have a RB who wants the ball than one that doesn't.

I'm still amazed he's a Card, I never believed he was doing anything but using us to up his contract, I'm still in shock he actually signed.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Rats said:
This past season I had a coach friend come out for the Carolina game and he made the comment after the game that the Offensive line never sustained there blocks the entire game and that was the fundemental part of what was wrong with our running game. He being an Offensive line coach and a Head coach in HS at one time made me think he knew what he was talking about. I feel as if the Line coach last season could not convey to the players what they needed to do in DG Offense to help the running game. Edge will be more successful but I think the new OL coach will help convey what is needed to make Edge the most effective. After that game I watched more earnstly the line play on offense and saw the missed blocks and the non sustained blocks of the lineman. I think they were under coached as well as being injured and unmotivated. I think that will change this season and this offense will have balance. Lets hope it leads to more Wins and the Playoffs.

:thumbup:

Crimson Storm

#11, 81, 32
Reaction score

Yeah ! 1,500 yards, 10 tds + this season.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, let's cut JJ and keep Shipp. That's just brilliant. Shipp has another year or two in this league, max, and can't stay healthy for a whole season.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Yeah, let's cut JJ and keep Shipp. That's just brilliant. Shipp has another year or two in this league, max, and can't stay healthy for a whole season.

not only that but if he "hates" james because he is a liability in the red zone then shipp should be hitler to him.