Interesting Note On Cards Practice In Glendale

Metal Militia

Veteran
Reaction score
http://eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=5729

The Cardinals will hold practice this evening at Glendale High School, which is open to the public. Gates open at 5 p.m. with practice beginning at 6:30 p.m. But it took work. McGinnis was willing to take his team on the road, but only if the field was brought up to NFL standards. So, led by the Cardinals’ “Sod God” Tim Peterson, someone has been out to work on the field four hours a day, four days a week for a month. The Cardinals spent close to $3,000 on supplies, including 20 new sprinkler heads. . . .

OP
OP
Metal Militia

Metal Militia

Veteran
Reaction score
and from the Republic...

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/0611cardsnb0611.html

Sod god

A month ago, Glendale High had a decent football field, by high school standards. Today it should rank as one of the best in the state, thanks to Cardinals turf manager Tim Peterson and his crew.

They have spent part of the past month preparing the field for tonight's practice, which begins at 6:30. Gates open at 5 p.m.

The Cardinals spent about $3,000 on the field, not including labor costs.

Peterson and his crew first aerated the field, then added 25 tons of sod mix and then 40 bags of fertilizer.

They renovated the sprinkling system, including installation of 20 new sprinkler heads.

The field looked good for graduation a few weeks ago, said Glendale Athletic Director Pete June, but it looks great now.

"The best comparison I can give is between a carpet that's $1.50 a square yard and one that costs $50 a square yard," he said. "It's just phenomenal."

Peterson and crew spent about 16 hours a week on the field for the past month.

OP
OP
Metal Militia

Metal Militia

Veteran
Reaction score
I never had an NFL team practice at my school. That would have been awesome!

CardAvenger

Screaming At A Wall
Reaction score
I imagine the PE Coach is pretty happy with the work they put in to it.

ds512az

All Star
Reaction score
And they say that the Cards do "nothing" for the community. Hmmm....

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
This is a great idea from the Cardinals. The Glendale H.S. Cardinals should be the envy of their conference with the NFL quality turf. The public practice tonight, should be well attended, and these type events are crucial to the success of the team in the future.

Jim O

Reaction score
Remember when the Cardinals took the black out of their uniforms a few years back? That meant that they had to get all new practice jerseys, game jerseys, and game pants. Mr. Bidwill donated all of the old stuff to my alma mater Seton Catholic High School in Chandler. Seton used all of that stuff as practice gear. So some high school football player was wearing Aeneas Williams game used pants at practice just months after Aeneas wore them in an NFL game. Can you imagine that? They also donated used shoulder pads, dummies, kicking nets, footballs, shoes, gloves, undershirts, etc...etc...etc.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Wow that is awsome to see them do somthing for a school like that...

These are the things that makes a fan base grow. How many of those kids are gunna be real happy to get to play on that field, and wanna support the Cards! Not to mention the parents of those kids...

This has to be one of the best $3000 they could spend...

MAN I wanna go to the practice! :mad:

Last edited: