Interesting on Rackers miss

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently Hunter Hillenmayer of the bears is saying the kick actually grazed his fingers so he may have been the reason Rackers missed?

And I also read that on the kick Rackers missed earlier, Player had the laces facing Rackers and that's why he missed.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I also read that on the kick Rackers missed earlier, Player had the laces facing Rackers and that's why he missed.

So much for the school of thought that holding is the sole reason for keeping Player.

mesacardsfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We need a punter thats what sucks! We have had very very few good punts this years its killing us!

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Someone else mentioned on the KC field goal Player told Rackers to hurry up.

Right now if I'm Capshaw I keep my cell phone with me at all times.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
:( well maybe that explains why it looked like a awful kick

Burg72

Registered
Reaction score

I noticed that while at the game. Player made a gesture with his hand to hurry up. I said in my mind that I hope this doesn't throw Rackers out of sync. Well, we know how that turned out.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Did I Miss It?

Did anyone comment on the Player punt that was returned for a TD? It went straight up the field, and thus gave the returner the option of going right, left, or up the middle. Shouldn't it have been punted towards the sideline?

Burg72

Registered
Reaction score
He pretty much "outkicked" the coverage because it was a line drive with no hangtime. He was going to keep great yardage with the return from the get go.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did anyone comment on the Player punt that was returned for a TD? It went straight up the field, and thus gave the returner the option of going right, left, or up the middle. Shouldn't it have been punted towards the sideline?

Yeah we discussed that. What really irked me was 2 punts earlier Hester was one ankle tackle away from busting one right up the middle. As soon as I knew we were punting I was worried about 2 things, Shipp missing his block again(nearly got one blocked again in this game) or a big return from Hester.

It's like we just don't pay attention to things that happen before?

Lloydian

Registered
Reaction score

Perhaps you've forgotten the circumstances. They made the catch, Leinart downed the ball, and the offense moved off the field. The special teams unit ran out but Rackers was just walking away from the drink table. By the time he got out to the field, they were under 15 seconds on the play clock. In fact, even with hurrying up, there were only a couple of seconds left on the play clock before the delay of game penalty would make the field goal even harder.

At the time, I wondered why Rackers was not more ready when the time to kick came.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you've forgotten the circumstances. They made the catch, Leinart downed the ball, and the offense moved off the field. The special teams unit ran out but Rackers was just walking away from the drink table. By the time he got out to the field, they were under 15 seconds on the play clock. In fact, even with hurrying up, there were only a couple of seconds left on the play clock before the delay of game penalty would make the field goal even harder.

At the time, I wondered why Rackers was not more ready when the time to kick came.

Yeah, that KC kick was just flat out wierd. He wasn't even putting on his helmet until he was out on the field and he was just trotting out there.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Apparently Hunter Hillenmayer of the bears is saying the kick actually grazed his fingers so he may have been the reason Rackers missed?

Then let me take back my Comment that Rackers should be cut. But he still sucks in my book, not enough to be cut, but enough that I have zero confidence in him

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

First of all the Bears are desperate to make this game anything but they totally sucked and we basically handed them a gift.

Second, Rackers is looking for anything to blame his crappy performance on.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all the Bears are desperate to make this game anything but they totally sucked and we basically handed them a gift.

Second, Rackers is looking for anything to blame his crappy performance on.

Some guy who covers the Bears said after the game the players were saying the kick was deflected, he asked Hillenmeyer since he's the one they said got it and he said yes it grazed my fingers I don't know if that's why it missed or not. It was tumbling oddly.

The laces one I don't know where it came from, someone on a different board said they read that Player said it but I didn't see a link as to where he said it.

I was defending Player until recently but I'm ready to sign Capshaw, I just don't have faith in Scott anymore either getting the punt off, or getting the hangtime we need.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I did...it was a terrible line drive punt. TERRIBLE. Should have either had tons of hangtime or more importantly, been kicked out of bounds downfield....their offense did nothing so we should have had that away from Hester and as high and far out as possible.

I put that on the special teams coach...but I put the line drive punt directly on Player...if we are kicking to Hester, Player should know to hang it up in the air so our coverage can get down there and make him fair catch it, or at least catch it with players bearing down on him...not catch it and move ten yards before being near a Cardinal.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I did...it was a terrible line drive punt. TERRIBLE. Should have either had tons of hangtime or more importantly, been kicked out of bounds downfield....their offense did nothing so we should have had that away from Hester and as high and far out as possible.

I put that on the special teams coach...but I put the line drive punt directly on Player...if we are kicking to Hester, Player should know to hang it up in the air so our coverage can get down there and make him fair catch it, or at least catch it with players bearing down on him...not catch it and move ten yards before being near a Cardinal.

Another option.

IIRC, Player is standing on about the 15 yard. He could have turned around, took a couple quick steps and threw it out the back of the endzone for a safety and get a free kick which would have pinned the Bears down since the kick team would have been lined up in more precise, pre-determined lanes to head down field as opposed to having to come out of a punt formation to cover.

The one draw back to punting it out of bounds is what if he shanks it real bad? I know the Cards D had played well to that point but momentum had changed by then and the Bears O may have gotten really good field position and suddenly things may have started working for them at that point. Punting with more hangtime would make more sense.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another option.

IIRC, Player is standing on about the 15 yard. He could have turned around, took a couple quick steps and threw it out the back of the endzone for a safety and get a free kick which would have pinned the Bears down since the kick team would have been lined up in more precise, pre-determined lanes to head down field as opposed to having to come out of a punt formation to cover.

The one draw back to punting it out of bounds is what if he shanks it real bad? I know the Cards D had played well to that point but momentum had changed by then and the Bears O may have gotten really good field position and suddenly things may have started working for them at that point. Punting with more hangtime would make more sense.

Boy, that is a REALLY ballsy play (and one that cost San Diego a game against Baltimore earlier on). Hindsight I'd say go for it...at the game I might have swallowed my megaphone. That's a very ballsy move that I don't see this team doing, ever. But it isn't a bad option...though that kind of thing tells the offense "we aren't scared of you at all and we'll even give you two points" which could jumpstart a sucking offense, as it did the Ravens O against the Chargers as they marched up field and scored to win.

Burg72

Registered
Reaction score
That is just plain out assuming Hester was gonna definately return it for a td. There was no way that anyone knew he was gonna do it. The way the Bears offense was that game, I would of had Player punt it to him over and over again. He just needed hangtime on that punt which he didn't have. That is still his fault. To say we should of gave them 2 points is just plain silly.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Boy, that is a REALLY ballsy play (and one that cost San Diego a game against Baltimore earlier on). Hindsight I'd say go for it...at the game I might have swallowed my megaphone. That's a very ballsy move that I don't see this team doing, ever. But it isn't a bad option...though that kind of thing tells the offense "we aren't scared of you at all and we'll even give you two points" which could jumpstart a sucking offense, as it did the Ravens O against the Chargers as they marched up field and scored to win.

I think it was obvious for the previous 56 minutes that the Cards D was saying the Bears O didn't scare them.

It would have taken huge balls to order that but I almost think it would have been the better option there but who knows. Ol'One Bar may have spun around and taken two steps and threw it 5 yards and the Bears recover or something.

Just another option. They way the Cards D was playing, I think it is a viable option because the Bears O just plain sucked...I mean everything about it sucked that night...playcalling, startegy, execution, decision-making, Gatorade cup filling everything. I see little hope the Bears could have driven the ball down the field even if they were embarassed by being handed 2 points.