Intriguing assessment from Peter King

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
(King) says.......Dennis Green saying "Emmitt Smith is my starter, effectively is saying, I don't have a starter".

Spanky:

Here's another "intriguing assessment" from the same MMQB column:

"Yeah, I did say Jake Plummer would be MVP last year. I urge you to check out what he actually did. He finished fifth in the league with a 91.2 rating (ahead of Brett Favre and Tom Brady), 15 touchdowns to seven interceptions (when everyone said he was an interception machine, he threw less than one per start), and a 9-2 record as a starter. If Plummer hadn't gotten hurt, I think he, Manning and Steve McNair would have dueled for the MVP."

As one of many Cardinals fans who thought Plummer would get benched halfway through the 2003 season in Denver, I've gotta admit Peter King came a lot closer with his prediction. Any other thoughts?

WC

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wild Card said:
Spanky:

."

As one of many Cardinals fans who thought Plummer would get benched halfway through the 2003 season in Denver, I've gotta admit Peter King came a lot closer with his prediction. Any other thoughts?

WC

This was covered on the broncofreak boards last year. King did predict jake would be MVP, but he also panned the signing when it first happened saying Jake was going to put Shanahan's job in jeopardy. He waffled on it for awhile saying it was a good idea when the rumor first surfaced, then saying Jake was a bad fit, then predicting MVP. When you predict both possible outcomes it's a bit easier to be "right".

A bunch of writers/magazines are picking him as MVP this year, I just don't see it with their losses on offense, he's going to have far too much responsibility and not enough guys to throw it to for an MVP season.

I also remember the last time Jake was being hyped as an MVP at this time of year, 1999.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's nothing said here that even remotely convinces me that we won't stay with the RB's we've got.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
Bobcat,

They won 4 games finished last in points scored and last in points allowed. The one position on the team that had a top talent is WR. Everything I have seen on the Cards draft says Fitzgerald is good but there is questioning why a more urgent need was not addressed with the top pick. That is pretty much the concensus in the magazines I have read. Last year they could not rush the passer, stop the run, run the ball or pass protect. I and all the analysis in magazines that I saw think there were a lot of areas more urgently needing help.

There are two commonly accepted theories used to determine draft picks. They are draft best player available or draft for need. The traditional method for a bad team with lots of needs is to try to fill some of those more urgent needs. Urgent needs being areas of the team that do not have Pro-Bowlers. The method of picking best player available traditionally is used by good teams with no real needs. I obviously believe in the traditional method for a bad team. We will know whether Green's unorthodox method will pay off in 2 years. We can go round and round discussing this and telling others they are wrong but it is pointless.

Last edited:

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
BigRedMO said:
Bobcat,

Last year they could not rush the passer, stop the run, run the ball or pass protect. I and all the analysis in magazines that I saw think there were a lot of areas more urgently needing help.

Here is the problem with picking at #3 and the problems you noted--

there wasnt a pass rusher choosen until #18 (Will Smith of OSU), the highest interior defensive lineman went at #14 (premumably to stop the run) in the form of undersized Tommie Harris. There wasnt a running back taken until #24, and the second offensive lineman (the best one was off the board before the Cardinals picked) went at #16.

I agree that all those things you noted are deficiencies - the problem was that there wasnt a player worthy of #3 that addressed any of those spot on. At that point, the Cards were left with picking the player that was the closest thing to "a sure thing".

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
Trading down is a risky proposition but in the Cards case I think it should have been done. They should have traded down or as I prefer traded up to get Manning. Probably just as well we did not trade up since Manning would never have played for the Cardinals.

Last edited:

Gnomad

Roamin' Gnome
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Trung Canidate?
Yes, a proven star! wtf is all this Trung crap about? He hasn't done a damn thing in the NFL yet. Backup to Marshall, loser/gimp in DC. What's all the hype?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gnomad said:
Yes, a proven star! wtf is all this Trung crap about? He hasn't done a damn thing in the NFL yet. Backup to Marshall, loser/gimp in DC. What's all the hype?

Where'd he go to school again?

Oh yeah...

If we want a speed back let's figure out what the heck Mike Mitchell is doing and sign him!

daytripper

All Star
Reaction score
WIth Coach Geeen pulling strings from now until opening day these first few moves will seem like childs play. He has a ton of work to do and he knows it. He'll need to use every trick in the book and then some to achieve 10 wins. It wouldnt surprise me to see that the D scheme he is selling now has nothing to do with what is actually run in Sept. and as for the starting lineup he will be juggling it until Labor Day.
Hang on, its gonna be a fun ride.

GBR 40

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
en fuego said:
I agree that all those things you noted are deficiencies - the problem was that there wasnt a player worthy of #3 that addressed any of those spot on. At that point, the Cards were left with picking the player that was the closest thing to "a sure thing".
*coughcough*benroethlisberger*coughcough*

Gnomad

Roamin' Gnome
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

Oh yeah...
ok, so he want to UA. woo freekin doo

what an incredibly SAD reason to want a player on your team. Seriously. Basically you're saying "he may suck, but he's local, and that's good enough for me. Sign him up!". I sure hope thinking like that doesn't go very far into the organization.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gnomad said:
ok, so he want to UA. woo freekin doo

what an incredibly SAD reason to want a player on your team. Seriously. Basically you're saying "he may suck, but he's local, and that's good enough for me. Sign him up!". I sure hope thinking like that doesn't go very far into the organization.

Hey I'm not the one asking to sign him I'm just pointing out why his name came up, hence the Mike Mitchell reference.

Been a pet peeve of mine for years everytime someone from an Arizona school comes up people want him here. Keith Poole etc.

mary

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
daytripper said:
WIth Coach Geeen pulling strings from now until opening day these first few moves will seem like childs play. He has a ton of work to do and he knows it. He'll need to use every trick in the book and then some to achieve 10 wins. It wouldnt surprise me to see that the D scheme he is selling now has nothing to do with what is actually run in Sept. and as for the starting lineup he will be juggling it until Labor Day.
Hang on, its gonna be a fun ride.

GBR 40
Good post.

Bobcat

Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Hey I'm not the one asking to sign him I'm just pointing out why his name came up, hence the Mike Mitchell reference.

Been a pet peeve of mine for years everytime someone from an Arizona school comes up people want him here. Keith Poole etc.

Hey what about Redmen.??? didn't he play for NE. What is he doing...???

If you want to go back to ASU or UA, I guess that Trung and Redmen are you guy's. Mike Mitchell was great in high school but sucked at Stanford.

Allan

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Gnomad said:

The sad thing is he's accomplished just as much as Marcel Shipp. If you had bothered to read the entire thread you'd also have picked up where I said that he's not the answer at RB for any team, he's a situational runner because he has no size or power, only speed. And he's also the only NFL proven RB I could think of who's still available right now. I could really care less about signing him because I don't think he will help the team, but Spanky asked who the Cards might sign as another RB and Canidate was my best guess. You want a star? Better wait until the draft because they're not available in late June.

Russ, save your sarcasm. Remember, you're the one who thinks Robert Smith is going to drop out of med school to play for Green again. My mention of Canidate has little to do with where he went to school but the fact that he's probably the only RB left in FA who has a chance to make the team. If Canidate is such a stupid guess, why don't you suggest someone else other than some guy who's been retired for five years or someone who peaked his junior year of high school?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Bobcat said:
Hey what about Redmen.??? didn't he play for NE. What is he doing...???

If you want to go back to ASU or UA, I guess that Trung and Redmen are you guy's. Mike Mitchell was great in high school but sucked at Stanford.

Allan
J.R. Redmon is a back-up running back for the Raiders right now. He'll probably have 3rd down duties spelling Tyrone Wheatley this season.

mary

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Manning yeah we would have a chance at the playoffs this year or next year with Manning here. ROTFLMAO. People still crying about Manning unbelievable.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

Oh yeah...

If we want a speed back let's figure out what the heck Mike Mitchell is doing and sign him!

Rock on!!! I went to HS with Mike and his brother :)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:

Russ, save your sarcasm. Remember, you're the one who thinks Robert Smith is going to drop out of med school to play for Green again. My mention of Canidate has little to do with where he went to school but the fact that he's probably the only RB left in FA who has a chance to make the team. If Canidate is such a stupid guess, why don't you suggest someone else other than some guy who's been retired for five years or someone who peaked his junior year of high school?

Sorry I should have put in more smileys. The reality is if you follow this board everytime RB comes up the 2 guys who get mentioned without fail are Canidate and JR Redman (Sp?). I just have a hard time believing it's not connected to where they went to college. Just like how Keith Poole's name used always come up 2-3 years ago and how on 49ers boards you always see Stanford, CAl and San Jose State alums names thrown around

Again I was joking about Robert Smith, Mike Mitchell and Tim Montgomery.

FYI Robert Smith is apparently NOT in med school, last time I posted that silly rumor someone said he never actually enrolled in med school, and no I don't really think he's coming back to football.

Personally I don't think we need to sign another RB I think Shipp is the best RB on our roster and I think we can do just fine if we get him enough carries.