Is Rolle our FS of the future?

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
I think it would be a good idea if he doesn't become the dynamic pass defender we are all expecting. It would give us possibly the best safety duo in the league and allow E. Green to start at corner. Thoughts?

ryanshaug

Registered
Reaction score
If Rolle can play CB then there is no way we move him to FS. It makes no sense. A star CB is more valuable than a star FS.

Now, if Rolle struggles for TWO or more seasons at CB, then I might consider moving him...but give him a chance first

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Yes, I think that if Eric Green develops, Rolle will naturally move to FS. Unless Rolle plays great at CB and and he and Eric Green both play the corner positions.

When Rolle was drafted most people thought he was a more natural FS due to his size, physical play and lack of blazing speed.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ryanshaug said:
If Rolle can play CB then there is no way we move him to FS. It makes no sense. A star CB is more valuable than a star FS.

Now, if Rolle struggles for TWO or more seasons at CB, then I might consider moving him...but give him a chance first

I've said all along I think ultimately Rolle will be a better S than CB, but I do think he'll be able to play CB for a few years. I think he'll go the Ronnie Lott or Tim McDonald route from CB to S but he'll probably wind up at FS not SS.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be like drafting a LT and playing him at G. Who in the hell would do that? :D

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just love the thought of having the versatility to be able to move guys around in case of injuries or scheme planning.
Pendergast will find ways to get the best athletes on the field over the coarse of a game and season.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigDavis75

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
That would be like drafting a LT and playing him at G. Who in the hell would do that? :D

It's not like the Cards have ever pulled that one before. :thumbup:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
No, No, No.

Rolle stays at CB, even if Green develops into a starter. Macklin's contract ends in 2 years, and Green will be groomed to be his replacement, hopefully. Plus you need 3 good CB's in todays NFL so we leave Macklin, Green, and Rolle alone.

As for Rolle's speed, he has plenty of it running 4.4-4.5 40 times outside on wet natural grass. If he ran at the indy combine surface he would have run 4.4 flat. Same goes for good shuttle and cone times.

It is also much easier to find a compatible FS then it is to find a starting CB.

We give Rolle 3 years minimum before we even think about making a postition switch.

We wait for our own in house to groom (Shazor, Fransisco, Ect), wait for next years FA crop, or wait for next years draft to find Griffiths replacement. And next years draft is going to be very talented and deep group of FS. The 2006 draft is going to be known as the OT, DT, and FS draft and thats without including any Juniors.

seesred

Reaction score
Rolle was brought in by Green to be the number 1 CB on this team.,Machlin is a nice complement at number 2. Green will be groomed to play some nickle and eventually corner. IMO there is no way Rolle plays anything but corner unless he showsw he can't and many don't think that will happen. He is a costly number 1 pick. He will play corner.

As for next years draft I hope we don't pick in the top 2/3rds of the draft. If we need there will be FS, SS a plenty. Or as Green has done picked 4-6 FA that make sence and will add to the depth as well as starters.

GBR

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Didn't any of you watch football last season. The no hand checking rule has made the importance of the corner less valuable. Now the safeties and DEs are much more important...as evidenced by New England

OP
OP
BigDavis75

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Didn't any of you watch football last season. The no hand checking rule has made the importance of the corner less valuable. Now the safeties and DEs are much more important...as evidenced by New England

I think that actually makes the CB position more important because a team that isn't zone oriented must have top flight corners. Teams seem to think corners are still very important, as evidenced by the contracts being dished out (Anthony Henry and Lucas).

spanky1

Reaction score
JPlay said:

It all depends on what your defensive scheme is: man to man, zone, cover two etc. Rolle is perfectly suited to the primary Cardinal defensive scheme (which is not a lot of man to man, I might add).

CB's do more than cover receivers.

He ain't going to be a FS......

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Champ Bailey was constantly getting burned like hooker in hell last year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
I think that actually makes the CB position more important because a team that isn't zone oriented must have top flight corners. Teams seem to think corners are still very important, as evidenced by the contracts being dished out (Anthony Henry and Lucas).

But with the new calling of contact, physical CB's, like Rolle, are less valuable because the refs won't allow it anymore. Which is precisely why a guy like Rolle is more likely to wind up at S at some point, because the way they call it now favors coverage guys not physical bump and run guys.

He'll play CB for 2-3 years for sure, but at some point he's very likely going to be asked to do what Mike Rumph is doing, move to S.

Rolle is a very good football player and the way we play defense it's too early to say he can't play CB, but ultimately IMHO he'll wind up at safety at some point in his Cards career.

spanky1

Reaction score
JPlay said:
Champ Bailey was constantly getting burned like hooker in hell last year.

I deleted reference to Champ Bailey from my post.......I didn't want this to turn into a Champ Bailey thread.

I was referring to Champ Bailey simply as an example of an elite CB and did not intend readers to think I was comparing "styles". Nuf!

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
I deleted reference to Champ Bailey from my post.......I didn't want this to turn into a Champ Bailey thread.

I was referring to Champ Bailey simply as an example of an elite CB and did not intend readers to think I was comparing "styles". Nuf!

My point is that there are no true cover corners anymore. No teams leave their corners out on an island anymore. CBs are at a big disadvantage with the new rules.

spanky1

Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
But with the new calling of contact, physical CB's, like Rolle, are less valuable because the refs won't allow it anymore. Which is precisely why a guy like Rolle is more likely to wind up at S at some point, because the way they call it now favors coverage guys not physical bump and run guys.

He'll play CB for 2-3 years for sure, but at some point he's very likely going to be asked to do what Mike Rumph is doing, move to S.

Rolle is a very good football player and the way we play defense it's too early to say he can't play CB, but ultimately IMHO he'll wind up at safety at some point in his Cards career.

Russ,

Just my opin (and I respect yours) but I don't agree with you on this one. Rolle never was a ball hawking type CB and as a FS, I see this as a pretty important skill set to have. I do acknowledge though, that he has excellent speed and he is a terrific open field tackler......essential in a FS.

I know that size is not necessarily a "benchmark of all benchmarks", but it is interesting to see how the the optimum size for a FS, as per the TSN guide, is starting to get bigger..... 6'2"/220. Rolle can add bulk I guess but my question is why?

We have drafted other players recently that are, IMHO, even better candidates for the FS position. I think you know my feelings that I believe Leon Joe should be groomed as our replacement for Griffith).

Again,

JMHO

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Russ,

Just my opin (and I respect yours) but I don't agree with you on this one. Rolle never was a ball hawking type CB and as a FS, I see this as a pretty important skill set to have. I do acknowledge though, that he has excellent speed and he is a terrific open field tackler......essential in a FS.

I know that size is not necessarily a "benchmark of all benchmarks", but it is interesting to see how the the optimum size for a FS, as per the TSN guide, is starting to get bigger..... 6'2"/220. Rolle can add bulk I guess but my question is why?

We have drafted other players recently that are, IMHO, even better candidates for the FS position. I think you know my feelings that I believe Leon Joe should be groomed as our replacement for Griffith).

Again,

JMHO

Rolle didn't really play a traditional CB at Miami, he was blitzing all the time, up at the LOS, there were times he was covering a guy and there were times where he was almost playing safety in their defense.

I don't know enough about Clancy to know what his ideal FS is, but I suspect he wants a guy with size to run support, and speed to cover, and that's Rolle.

Now that goes for CB too, I don't think we know yet what Clancy's CB's are supposed to do, because last year Starks was in and out, and much of the year we were playing Macklin and Hill. We may find that in Clancy's defense Rolle is a perfect fit at CB. But if we ask him to do what we asked Starks to do when he was starting at #1 CB, I think we're going to see some big plays by opposing WR's.

I think Clancy will find a way to utilize Antrell's strengths but it could be tough to hide his weaknesses, NFL offensive coordinators just love to pick on rookie CB's.

NOte, I am not saying Rolle will move to safety this year or next year, but I'd be surprised if he plays out his rookie contract as a CB, I expect he'll move eventually.

We'll see, he's a very good player and maybe he'll be the next Ty Law, a college Safety who became a pro bowl CB when everyone thought he was too slow (when the Pats moved him to CB).

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

I still don't buy that excuse. I'm sure that the rule changed exposed run of the mill CB's who basically hung on for dear life half way down the field. However I don't believe it will effect top notch corners like Rolle as much. It's not like they have to release the WRs at the line of scrimmage. They still have 5 yards to work with.

If Rolle moves to Safety then I think the pick was somewhat of a bust. I really believe that Rolle will suceed at CB. However I do believe he will be used primarily to cover the bigger more physical WRs as opposed to the smaller faster ones.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigDavis75

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

Exactly, I'm saying the corner position is more valuable now, but physical guys like Rolle are becoming more suited for safety.

Poorknight1

Registered
Reaction score
spanky1 said:

Spanky....there's no chance in hell that Leon Joe will end up a safety on any team in this league. The guy has all of the physical talent in the world...and zero football panache.

Keep jocking Aaron. He's our FS of the future. =)

PK1

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rolle and Wilson will make WR's hear footsteps. After a couple of big hits from these guys, Griffith will be playing center field and snaging balls that opposing WRs alligator armed.