Is this the worst Suns team in franchise history?

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is this the worst Suns team in franchise history (excluding their first season?). Statistically it seems that way. The Suns are currently on pace to finish with their lowest winning percentage since their inaugural season.

When I looked at the Suns roster before the start of season, I thought this could happen. Still, it's rather hard to believe that we are witnessing the lowest point of Suns history. I know many believe that this is the first step, maybe even a necessary step, towards recovery and contention again, but that road can be long and painful and very often doesn't lead where you want it to, as many permanent lottery teams have proven.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHO/#PHO::5

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was certainly thinking this would be the case before the year. Its a horrible team. Not only is the record pathetic but in previous years of struggle we had some young guys to build around on the roster.

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f7/so-how-good-is-this-team-going-to-be-182744.html

There is a thread where people kicked around expectations. You and I had a brief debate in there about their chances of being .500, but you also thought they might stink.

Some heads need to roll for this. I am not totally out on Lon Babby, our managing of the cap and contracts has been... okay, but Lance Blanks has been as wildly incompetent at his end of the job as humanly possible.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I remember our prediction thread... the average prediction was about 31 wins, which at this point looks a bit optimistic. I remember saying something to the effect that we'd have to keep Beasley chained to the bench to get over 30 wins and even that looks somewhat too optimistic now. As bad as he's been, I expected worse.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I remember our prediction thread... the average prediction was about 31 wins, which at this point looks a bit optimistic. I remember saying something to the effect that we'd have to keep Beasley chained to the bench to get over 30 wins and even that looks somewhat too optimistic now. As bad as he's been, I expected worse.

Yeah, I said they'd win 26 and Houston was the only Western team they looked better than on paper... but that was well before the Harden trade.

I was probably the leader of the "I hate Beasley" club... but I am not sure he could have been expected to be worse than he currently is. He is a brick machine who is possibly the worst defender in basketball. I think to be worse he'd have to start literally laying the ball in the other teams basket, taking a crowbar to his teammates knees... ect ect.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I can't remember what I predicted -- low 30s, I think -- and the team is (even) worse than I thought, but I still expect them to get a bunch more "accidental" wins before the year is out. The Suns have been competitive in most of their games, and bad teams do sometimes beat good teams in the NBA. It will start happening a little bit more, I'd guess.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I figured they'd find a way to squeak into the #8 seed and get swept in the 1st round. Boy, was I wrong. Though this was when Frye was healthy and I thought Beasley would be an improved player.

L.O.L.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was all over the place, really had no clue how they'd fit together. I put them down for fewer than 20 wins in one thread and in another I jokingly suggested they'd win in the mid 40's. I didn't really buy in to either extreme, there were just too many unknowns. I still look at this roster and think they are better than they've performed but there is no real leadership and the chemistry doesn't seem ideal. Gortat, Telfair, Dragic, Brown, Dudley and O'Neal are all playing below their abilities and that indicates a group that doesn't like each other (or is poorly coached) IMO.

Steve

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
I predicted 28 wins, which would tie for the worst team in Suns history. Right now Hollinger's Playoff Odds have us finishing 28-54.

Our record may be on pace for the worst in franchise history, but the season before we traded Nance for KJ may be the most bleak we ever had. It was the third year in a row of not making the playoffs. The team had a drug scandal. Vanos died in a plane crash. We got the #2 pick in the draft and just missed getting David Robinson.

However, after that the team was sold and things turned around quickly. Let's hope for the same.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake