Jackson is Back

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Anyone who says that there is no chance that Kobe will be traded is deluding themselves.

It's amazing how much interest in the Lakers has waned in this town in such a short amount of time. I'm sure Cheese and Ouchie have noticed it as well.

Will Kobe be traded? The odds are not good. But is it possible? Oh, absolutely.
After all the fawning Phil has done over Kobe just in the last 24 hours, do you really think they're going to trade him for some spare parts a la Shaq? Now if the Lakers completely go into the crapper next season I can see something happening during the summer of 2006 but to think they're going to trade Kobe this offseason is idiotic and unrealistic.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
After all the fawning Phil has done over Kobe just in the last 24 hours, do you really think they're going to trade him for some spare parts a la Shaq? Now if the Lakers completely go into the crapper next season I can see something happening during the summer of 2006 but to think they're going to trade Kobe this offseason is idiotic and unrealistic.

totally agree. I don't know if Chap is saying there's a chance Kobe could "absolutely" get traded this offseason - I don't believe Chap is that stupid. But in the scenario above it absolutely could happen.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:

Disagree. The Buss payroll is nutz. The collective bargaining agreement is up and he just might know something about upcoming changes in trading contracts. The Laker record was just as good without Kobe as with him and the new players from last years trades and acquisitions have a full year of the triangle offense in their learning curve. Phil took a year off so the rooks could learn. Of course he doesn't come back and throw Kobe under the bus. Everything is nicey nice for Phil and Kobe and wham Mitch Kupchak pulls a deal, the Lakers improve and Phil is a genius again.

Coo be. Says Sammy Sosa

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:

I never said he would be traded this offseason. In fact, I never even entertained the thought that he would be traded this offseason. But during the year around the trade deadline? It's not out of the realm of possibility.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
"underground reports" - dude - I live in LA, listen to talk radio every time I['m in the car and there has been ZERO mention of these "underground reports" - where the hell did this nonsense come from?

And what the hell is Vlade supposed to say?

That being said - I will find it delicious when the Lakers play Miami and Phil starts digging into Shaq with some kind of mind game about how it obviously affected Shaq more as he still can't even say Bryant's name. That'll be funny - when Shaq is turned on by Phil.

Now cheese, the radio and crappy LA times "writers" aren't really underground, now are they? ;)

More of smaller reporters for Internet sites and people who purport to have insider info (most info coming from a guy who called Coach K being pursued weeks before announced, Coach K declining 2 days prior, the Shaq to Miami trade almost to the letter, etc.) According to this guy, a lot of the media reports re Kobe and this deal was because Kobe/Phil/Lakers wanted to find out who was leaking info, so they put a false story that Vecsey and others picked up on. The guy is credible, and definitely has high ranking Laker connections (I personally think either through Mitch or Jimmy Buss.)

Shaq is fit to be tied right now...he can hardly contain his emotion and I love it, the fat lazy loudmouth piece of crap.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Two basic things about the Jackson-Bryant relationship will never change:

1. Jackson is a control freak and a master manipulator.
2. Bryant resents it.

There's just no way they can ever have a good working relationship. Say what you want about Bryant, but he isn't stupid. He knows that Jackson is playing kissy-poo now just because he wants another $30 million in his bank account.

When Jackson says he thinks that he and Bryant can work together, what he really means is, "... now that Kobe realizes that he needs me to win, and so he'll finally be willing to do whatever I say." That is simply never going to happen, because Jackson is a two-faced prima donna who will say whatever he thinks will get him what he wants, and Bryant knows it.

Can they work together? Of course; they did for however many years it was, winning three titles along the way. But it won't ever be a good relationship, and there's no way that they'll ever both be happy on the same team.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Two basic things about the Jackson-Bryant relationship will never change:

1. Jackson is a control freak and a master manipulator.
2. Bryant resents it.

Wrong. Kobe resented Shaq because Shaq alienated him from Day One. Turned the lockerroom against an 18 year old kid. Read Mad Game by Lazenby for this and more, and the hiring of Phil and backstory, etc.

Kobe resented Phil because Phillip (out of necessity) sided with Shaq. Phil was smart and knew that if Shaq was unhappy he wouldn't play. He catered to him and agreed with him v. Shaq. Phil admits as much in his book, knowing he needed to have Shaq firmly on his side to keep the team rolling. Kobe resented it.

In fact, the Kobe interview with Jim Gray where he FINALLY called the fat jack-a out was an offshoot of Phillip's coddling of Shaq. Phil also mentions it in his book. Kobe wasn't happy with Shaq and his media sniping and Phil wouldn't do anything about it. And this is the ONLY time Kobe ever mentioned anything about Shaq to the press....far more patience than I, especially with Shaq always snipping and snapping at Kobe. It is ridiculous the love Snaq gets and the hate Kobe gets when Kobe has carried himself with professionalism when the Shaq/Kobe fued has ever been discussed, save this one interview (which was dead-on).

Phillip is still smart, and he will give Kobe what he needs which is respect, and will not media assassinate him. He doesn't need to now that the big ***** is in Miami. The Kobe/Phil relationship will be just fine....and in fact will likely be very successful, regardless of what BSPN has to blather and huff about as they swing from Snaq's jock.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
And what the hell is Vlade supposed to say?

Well, he doesn't have to say that "especially Kobe" is excited. He isn't supposed to talk for other people specifically.

And though you live in LA and listen to talk radio, you probably don't scour the world for every bit of info you can find on the Lakers as I do. And I listen to LA radio too, but over the web (and until Hacksaw comes on. In a couple of days, btw, you *might* actually hear this info I referred to on Dave Smith's show.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
personally - i think any Suns fan that sees a realistic possibility of Kobe getting traded is really indulging in wishful thinking. The Lakers THE premiere franchise in the NBA - they now have THE Premiere coach again - one of the Premiere Superstars in the game and it's only a matter of time before they get a premiere big man to go with it - Wilt, Kareem, Shaq - Yao? Amare? Someone we haven't even thought of yet?

It makes Suns fans sleep easie knowing that both of the dynamic duo could be out of Laker-land - I know it would make me feel better down the road if Kobe was off the team as well.

My call? Lakers win 47-50 games next year - challenge for the title in 2007.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kobe Bryant isn't going anywhere... this summer. I doubt he gets traded from Los Angeles anytime in the near future, but that's far from an absolute.

I've got to go read Mad Game now. :)

Joe Mama

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Well, he doesn't have to say that "especially Kobe" is excited. He isn't supposed to talk for other people specifically.

And though you live in LA and listen to talk radio, you probably don't scour the world for every bit of info you can find on the Lakers as I do. And I listen to LA radio too, but over the web (and until Hacksaw comes on. In a couple of days, btw, you *might* actually hear this info I referred to on Dave Smith's show.

I don't buy anything on Dave Smith's show, or Big Nasty's or Hartman and Thompson - most of them fawn over Kobe still - much like you and would never say a bad word about him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

hey - I hope it's a joke also but that team THIS YEAR was on it's way to 45 wins THIS season before injuries destroyed them and Rudy T quit. 3 years from now, you don't think they will have made a deal to get a big man? You're insane if you really think that's the case Chap.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I'm only guessing here, but you like Kobe, don't you D-Dogg?

Yes. I love the Lakers. I love Magic Johnson and James Worthy. I loved Snaq before he came back from championship number 2 fat and out of shape, took surgery on "company time", before he screamed "pay me M-effer" at Dr. Buss in an exhibition training camp game, before he put LA on blast, before he started to seriously decline. Before a whole lot of stuff...he really lost a lot of LA fans with his childish behavior.

I'm a Laker fan and Kobe is my favorite player in the league, but I would have given him hell if he had walked last season. He's a Laker for life, and I'm damn happy with that.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Is this a typo? Because if it's not that's pretty funny.

Not a typo at all. The Most Done Ever has many pet names...Snaq, Whaq, etc.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
hey - I hope it's a joke also but that team THIS YEAR was on it's way to 45 wins THIS season before injuries destroyed them and Rudy T quit. 3 years from now, you don't think they will have made a deal to get a big man? You're insane if you really think that's the case Chap.

This is why I like your posts cheese; you don't buy into the media perception. You may not like the lakers, or may be a hater of them, but you are aware of the reality of what they are.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I've got to go read Mad Game now. :)

I would reccomend it. Also, Mind Games (a book on Phil). Lazenby is one of the best authors for NBA books...he really writes well and disects a team from a lot of angles. Great author. He also has a book on Stockton and Malone.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I don't buy anything on Dave Smith's show, or Big Nasty's or Hartman and Thompson - most of them fawn over Kobe still - much like you and would never say a bad word about him.

Sports talk radio is a step above internet boards, really.

Nasty is not a Kobe fan at all, dude is one of Snaq's pubic hairs I think.

I hear what you're saying about buying anything from them, but I'm just saying the info I provided is underground buzz and may come out on some of those shows. Especially if someone is fired from SFX, where the erroneous leaks supposedly came from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan