Jan. 26, cap space & Kobe continued.........

sunsfn

Reaction score
continued............
---------------------------------------------------
Here's Insider's first peek at the free-agent class of 2004. While the names on the board may leave fans breathless, there's little chance most of these guys ever leave home.

Top 10 2004 Free Agents

Key = (R) = Restricted free agent | (PO) = Player Option

1. Kobe Bryant, G, Lakers (PO)
The skinny: Assuming Kobe isn't serving time in Eagle County, Kobe's dilemma is this -- is there enough money out there from a good team to lure him out of L.A.? I can't imagine him playing for the Jazz or Nuggets, based on geography more than the make-up of the team. The Spurs, Suns and, to a lesser extent, the Clippers would be more desirable options. The Spurs would be able to get close, if they give up on everyone else. The Suns would need to dump their two first-round picks or another player to get close to what Kobe will be looking for money-wise. The Clippers could get far enough under the cap to make an offer, but will Kobe come? They would be much better with Kobe in the backcourt, but without a point guard or a center, would they be a championship contender? Sign-and-trades are always possible, but the Lakers are in the driver's seat.

Nash

2. Steve Nash, G, Mavs (PO)
The skinny: Nash likely will opt out, but chances are he will stay in Dallas. Nash is one of the few guys in the NBA who is actually underpaid at the moment. Surely, Mark Cuban will throw a lucrative long-term contract at him to keep him in Dallas. If that's not enough for Nash, the Suns and Clippers are in desperate need of a point guard, and both teams would be willing to throw the cash his way.
3. Antoine Walker, F, Mavericks (PO)
The skinny: After all the abuse and trade rumors, will Walker exercise his player option and look for a better situation? It depends on how deep Cuban's pockets are. He already has Dirk Nowitzki, Michael Finely and Antawn Jamison locked up to max-type contracts. With Nash also looking for a big deal, can Cuban afford both? If he can't, is Walker willing to take a pay cut to move on? It's hard to imagine the Jazz, Nuggets, Clippers or Spurs throwing max money at him. Teams would be interested in the $8-9 million range, but not at the $14 million rate he's going for.
4. Rasheed Wallace, F, Blazers
The skinny: It's hard to believe Wallace will be a Blazer next season. One, for the first time in awhile, it appears Paul Allen is serious about cutting some payroll. Two, for the first time in awhile, the Blazers are emphasizing character again. Neither factor bodes well for Wallace. The question is, where does he go? Not to a young team like Denver or Utah. Not to a veteran team worried about chemistry. And coming off a $17 million-a-year contract, just how much of a pay cut will he be willing to take? In other words, people will be interested, but at what price? Conventional wisdom says the Knicks, Rockets and Mavericks will be the big players this summer. But none of them has the cash to offer him anything more than the mid-level exception.

Martin

5. Kenyon Martin, F, Nets (R)
The skinny: Martin is looking for a six-year, $90 million deal from the Nets. Team president Rod Thorn is understandably balking. The Nuggets will have interest and could offer him a lot of money and still have room, especially if Camby is gone, to go after their other favorite, Quentin Richardson.
6. Mehmet Okur, C, Pistons (R)
The skinny: There's a dearth of big men available, and a number of teams are going to show interest in Okur, starting with the Pistons. Team president Joe Dumars has been trying to clear cap space to make sure he can re-sign him. Right now Dumars is looking at roughly $6 million in room. Will that be enough? The Jazz, Nuggets, Suns and Clippers all like him and would be willing to offer more depending on what the top five free agents decide to do. Dumars is working the phones trying to get one more contract off the books. Okur will fall right in that $6-8 million range this summer. That's cutting it awfully close.
7. Jamal Crawford, G, Bulls (R)
The skinny: Crawford wants out of Chicago, and there are plenty of teams willing to take him. The Bulls' decision to move Crawford exclusively to the two dampens his value. Teams that believe Crawford could be a good point guard in the league are going to be the most interested. Look for the Clippers and Cavaliers to make the most noise. If the Cavs dump Jeff McInnis this summer, they should be able to make an offer for Crawford above the mid-level exception.
8. Emanuel Ginobili, G, Spurs (R)
The skinny: The Spurs want to keep him. But if they get wrapped up in the Kobe sweepstakes or get involved in a trade, Ginobili could be in play. The Jazz and Nuggets both love him and won't let him slip if he, for some reason, wiggles out of the Spurs' grasp.

Dampier

9. Erick Dampier, C, Warriors (PO)
The skinny: Dampier opting out of his huge contract was inconceivable last summer, but he's having the type of season that may cause him to reconsider. There are plenty of teams that need a big man, and if the Jazz or Nuggets show some interest, it may be his best and only chance to get out of the bay.
10. Quentin Richardson, G, Clippers (R)
The skinny: The word on the street is the Nuggets love him. The speculation is met with a chuckle when posed directly to Nuggets brass. He does fit the system and seems like an upgrade ... but what's the price? The Clippers own his Bird rights. If they can't get Kobe, they'll want to keep him, and Denver GM Kiki Vandeweghe won't overpay.
Best of the Rest
Player Option: Marcus Camby, C, Nuggets; Latrell Sprewell, SG, T-Wolves; Gary Payton, G, Lakers; Karl Malone, F, Lakers; Kurt Thomas, F, Knicks; Stephen Jackson, G/F, Hawks; Jerome James, C, Sonics; Penny Hardaway, G, Knicks; Mark Blount, C, Celtics; Troy Hudson, G, T-Wolves; Zaur Pachulia, C, Magic.
Unrestricted: Vlade Divac, C, Kings; Adonal Foyle, C, Warriors; Brent Barry, G, Sonics; Antonio McDyess, F, Suns; Ron Mercer, G, Spurs; Eric Williams, G/F, Celtics; Keon Clark, F, Jazz; Greg Ostertag, C, Jazz; Jon Barry, G, Nuggets; Rodney White, G/F, Nuggets; Slava Medvedenko, C, Lakers; Toni Kukoc, F, Bucks; Charlie Ward, G, Spurs; Tom Gugliotta, F, Suns; Trenton Hassell, G, T-Wolves.
Restricted:: Stromile Swift, F, Grizzlies; Carlos Arroyo, PG, Jazz; Mo Peterson, F, Raptors; Darius Miles, F, Cavs; DeShawn Stevenson, G, Jazz; Gordan Giricek, G/F, Magic; Zeljko Rebraca, C, Pistons; Jake Tsakalidis, C, Suns; Marcus Fizer, F, Bulls; Chris Mihm, PF, Celtics; Joel Przybilla, C, Bucks; Keyon Dooling, G, Clippers; Etan Thomas, F, Wizards; Courtney Alexander, G, Hornets; Hedo Turkoglu, G/F, Spurs.

:):thumbup:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not wildly enthusiastic about Okur, but at $6-7 million he would be a good possibility. If the Bobcats take White, then I might go a bit higher.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's no way I would give Okur anything over $5 million. I'm not even sure I would give him that. Yes, he's a good player. He's also another undersized center.

Joe Mama

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by newfan101
Okur? ... No thank you. I didn't care for Rick Robey the first time.

I'm less concerned about the money (hey, it's not mine :D ) than if he is physical enough for what the Suns need.

I posted the article from the Denver Post about how the Nuggets are searching for a big man. Considering how much taller theya re than the Suns, it make you wonder.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Originally posted by George O'Brien
I'm not wildly enthusiastic about Okur, but at $6-7 million he would be a good possibility. If the Bobcats take White, then I might go a bit higher.

Don't go crazy now, OB--an $8m offer sheet, with raises, over 6 yrs, adds up to over $60m! :eek:

Detroit lists him at 6'11", 250...for some reason, he seems taller than that on TV. Maybe I'm not looking closely enough.

FWIW, Okur was apparently the one chosen to guard Kevin Garnett down the stretch, in the Pistons/Wolves game a few days back.

:lol:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by F-Dog
Don't go crazy now, OB--an $8m offer sheet, with raises, over 6 yrs, adds up to over $60m! :eek:

I remember when $60 million was considered "real money". :D

The problem with trying to get someone like Okur is that you are paying for "potential" rather than proven performance. This season he is averaging 9.8 ppg and 6.6 rpg in 23.4 minutes. Ok, but not eye popping. But he is only in his second season in the NBA after playing in Turkey.

As a point of comparison, Voskuhl is at 6.6 ppg and 5.2 rpg in 24.5 minutes.

Presumably, Okur has more upside. How much do you pay that?

Djaughe

Reaction score
I'm sure the suns are going to be shopping for a legit "proven" player - they got enough players with "potential"

Isn't Kevin Garnett a free agent too? :confused:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser