Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jarhead

Release Date: November 4, 2005
Studio: Universal Pictures
Director: Sam Mendes
Screenwriter: William Broyles, Jr.
Genre: Drama
MPAA Rating: R (for pervasive language, some violent images and strong sexual content)

Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Jamie Foxx, Peter Sarsgaard, Lucas Black, Chris Cooper, Dennis Haysbert, Rini Bell

Plot Summary: "Jarhead" (the self-imposed moniker of the Marines) follows "Swoff" (Gyllenhaal), a third-generation enlistee, from a sobering stint in boot camp to active duty, sporting a sniper's rifle and a hundred-pound ruck on his back through Middle East deserts with no cover from intolerable heat or from Iraqi soldiers, always potentially just over the next horizon. Swoff and his fellow Marines sustain themselves with sardonic humanity and wicked comedy on blazing desert fields in a country they don't understand against an enemy they can't see for a cause they don't fully fathom.

Foxx portrays Sergeant Sykes, a Marine lifer who heads up Swofford's scout/sniper platoon, while Sarsgaard is Swoff's friend and mentor, Troy, a die-hard member of STA-their elite Marine Unit.

An irreverent and true account of a war that was antiseptically packaged a decade ago, "Jarhead" is laced with dark wit, honest inquisition and episodes that are at once surreal and poignant, tragic and absurd.

Attachments

• jarhead.jpg
    jarhead.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 227

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks great..can't wait to see it.

How many Oscar noms will this thing get? Over/Under at 6. I take the over.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
I read the book a few years ago. Hate to be a downer but I came away thinking that Swofford was just a big crybaby. Might make for good Hollywood, not alot interesting happened to him during his stint in the desert though.

I guess the fact that he really didn't do anything made me wonder what the point of the book was, other than using it as a forum to whine. :shrug:

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
I got the book right here in front of me.

I intend to go put a couple bullets through it!!!

He is a big sissy boy!!

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Djaughe said:
lol! Great comments! :D

I was thinking the same thing.

Military guys bashing the book, calling the main character a sissy boy...and we're seeing this on Wednesday.

:D

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without giving too much away, why is he a sissy boy?

I love the trailor for this movie - it looks so intense

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
This movie looks so bad. I just get a feeling that it's going to suck.

How do you figure that?

The problem is going to be people going into the movie expecting something, and it's not going to be that.

It's not a "war" move with battles, etc.,...

Mike

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:

I'm also wondering where you get that from. The trailer is actually pretty good for it.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I'm also wondering where you get that from. The trailer is actually pretty good for it.

Agreed, one of the best trailers I've seen in awhile...at least it has original music in it :)

Mike

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:

I think you're being influenced by this line in the poster:

WELCOME TO THE SUCK

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
I think you're being influenced by this line in the poster:

WELCOME TO THE SUCK

That should be a Cardinals tagline.

It beats Long live sunday.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
i've seen the trailer and the movie looks pretty decent ... just the one thing I couldn't get through the trailer is the point of the movie .... it really doesn't seem to be a strong movie about a particular battle, overcoming and planning conflict etc of a "Saving Private Ryan" .... on the other hand it doesn't seem like they are giving a boot camp experience, comraderie/hardships of war, moral decisions, et al of a movie like "Full Metal Jacket"

I plan on seeing this movie, i think i'm going to like it, but I have a bad suspicion that I'll be left wanting more..........

sundevilscott

Kaycee's Daddy
Reaction score
"welcome to the Suck" is the reason so many Military people are pissed off about this movie. Welcome to the suck meaning Welcome to the Marines. This sucks that sucks everything sucks = whining.

I am going to see it with a friend of mine who was a Marine at the time this happened. I want his takes on the movie.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sundevilscott said:
"welcome to the Suck" is the reason so many Military people are pissed off about this movie. Welcome to the suck meaning Welcome to the Marines. This sucks that sucks everything sucks = whining.

I am going to see it with a friend of mine who was a Marine at the time this happened. I want his takes on the movie.

I don't think the "suck" means the Marines...

Mike

sundevilscott

Kaycee's Daddy
Reaction score
Actually it does mean that.

Also here is a thread from IMDB where some Marines talk about "The Suck".

IMDB

Here is one post in that thread.

Quote....

As a former Marine in 2/7 during Desert Storm, I was in 89-93. "The Suck" is a derogatory term for the Marine Corps. Used by Marines whose sole occupation is to whine, malinger or "gaff off." It generally came around as a natural progression from those whiners like this, "The food sucks, this sucks, that sucks, The Marine Corps sucks. Welcome to The Suck heh, heh." Pretty funny. Basically the USMC sucks the life out of you. Very original and inspiring.

I never heard a motivated or squared away Marine use it. Only the malcontents who some how missed the line on their contract that said USMC, not "Fun entertainment for bored Gen-Xers".

"Swoff's" view of his time in the USMC is his own. He chose to make the worst of it and complain. I blame the STA platoon mentality as much as anything. Swofford as a moody teenager, got wrapped up with a group of whiners and failed to realize anything better could come of his time. As a follower, he chose to let it suck the life out of him, just like his tagline.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

The trailer didn't do anything for me. Looks like a boring movie to me. It just screams 2 stars.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My brother was in Iraq and he told me "the suck" was a slang that people used to describe the state that some of the soldiers would enter where they were in pure misery. Homesick, unmotivated, against the cause.... etc

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
sundevilscott said:
See I really liked the trailer, but it might have been a lot to do with the music.

I'm going to save my money and buy the sound track instead of seeing the movie!

:thumbup:

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
I read the book. Swofford is just a pansy-ass whiner. He didn't do ANYTHING noteworthy during his enlistment or the war. All he does is complain. The book (and the movie) is just one man's take on life in the Marines and what his Desert Storm experience was like.

His take on it BTW ****spoiler**** is more about how boring it was for him.

I for one, REFUSE to give Swofford one penny of my money. I wish he could refund my money that I spent on the book.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HarleyRider said:
I for one, REFUSE to give Swofford one penny of my money.

We're seeing it for free, if that makes you feel better. :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake