Jason Kidd retires

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as it isn't old man creepy.

I can do "old man creepy" if it leads to Kate Upton. My wife and I have a deal - if Kate follows me home, I get to keep her.

And again, congratulations on your recent nuptials.

Steve

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Puppy cute or Kate Upton cute? I'm hoping for Kate Upton cute.

Steve

Kate Upton holding a puppy and sitting on a bear skin rug. Unfortunately, she has no interest in coming home to you and your wife.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes me feel old. I can still remember seeing Jason play as a soph in HS in the California Nor Cal tournament. everyone was talking about the big guard kid at St Joe's, who turned out to be Kidd not kid. First look great passer couldn't shoot a lick but the more you saw him the more you noticed he just kept winning.

I remember that about the McDonald's game his senior year of HS. They said no matter how they mixed up the players on the roster for scrimmages, Kidd's team kept winning and many of the guys on his team were demanding they were in the same 5 rotation as Kidd because they liked playing with him so much.

Budden

Registered
Reaction score
One thing Jason Kidd reminds me of is his ankle injury in 2000. With the Suns needing a point guard, JC asked KJ to come out of retirement, and KJ did so out of loyalty to this franchise and its ownership.

Compare that to our latest great point guard, who was told repeatedly by management that they wanted to keep him after 11-12, then the offseason came and he was basically asked not to come back. Imagine Robert Sarver asking Steve Nash to come out of retirement for his team, the way Collangelo asked Kevin Johnson to come out of retirement for his team. (Actually, Nash would probably still do it for the fans and the guys on the roster, but you get the point).

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have really conflicting feelings about Jason Kidd. First of all, he may have been the best open court ball handler of all time. Everybody loved Jason Kidd in the open court. Defensively he was also excellent as long as he wasn't being asked to guard a quick point guard. He was probably better at guarding the 2 and even 3, and he's a fantastic team defender. He was one of the best rebounding guards of all time.

In the Half Court, Jason Kidd left an awful lot to be desired. Perhaps it's because I had been spoiled by watching Kevin Johnson. Jason Kidd did not break down opposing offenses and create easy shots for his teammates like a Kevin Johnson, Chris Paul, etc. The fact that for most of his career nobody respected his shot allowed opposing defenses to sag way off him and collapse the middle. That is until the championship season with Dallas where all of a sudden he was a three point threat.

It's a shame he never got to play with a healthy Penny Hardaway for more than half a season because they really could have been a great pair. They could let Jason Kidd push the ball down people's throats and then in the half court run the offense through Hardaway. That team before Tom Gugliotta's knee injury and Jason Kidd's ankle injury was right up there with the Lakers.

I don't think much of that New Jersey Nets team. Yes, they went to the NBA finals twice, but they were playing in a god-awful Eastern Conference. They would have been a 5-8 seed lucky to get out of the first round in the Western Conference of those days. I also thought the way he dealt with his trade was completely classless especially considering the circumstances of it.

Joe

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have really conflicting feelings about Jason Kidd. First of all, he may have been the best open court ball handler of all time. Everybody loved Jason Kidd in the open court. Defensively he was also excellent as long as he wasn't being asked to guard a quick point guard. He was probably better at guarding the 2 and even 3, and he's a fantastic team defender. He was one of the best rebounding guards of all time.

In the Half Court, Jason Kidd left an awful lot to be desired. Perhaps it's because I had been spoiled by watching Kevin Johnson. Jason Kidd did not break down opposing offenses and create easy shots for his teammates like a Kevin Johnson, Chris Paul, etc. The fact that for most of his career nobody respected his shot allowed opposing defenses to sag way off him and collapse the middle. That is until the championship season with Dallas where all of a sudden he was a three point threat.

It's a shame he never got to play with a healthy Penny Hardaway for more than half a season because they really could have been a great pair. They could let Jason Kidd push the ball down people's throats and then in the half court run the offense through Hardaway. That team before Tom Gugliotta's knee injury and Jason Kidd's ankle injury was right up there with the Lakers.

I don't think much of that New Jersey Nets team. Yes, they went to the NBA finals twice, but they were playing in a god-awful Eastern Conference. They would have been a 5-8 seed lucky to get out of the first round in the Western Conference of those days. I also thought the way he dealt with his trade was completely classless especially considering the circumstances of it.

Joe

all of this...a yes.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also thought the way he dealt with his trade was completely classless especially considering the circumstances of it.

Yeah, remember when Kidd was yelling at then head coach Scott Skiles during the game on our first visit to the Meadowlands after the trade?

Errntknght

Reaction score
Yeah, remember when Kidd was yelling at then head coach Scott Skiles during the game on our first visit to the Meadowlands after the trade?

He was probably telling Skiles that was an example of a fast break. Of course it was silly to yell at Skiles, he should have been yelling at the idiot that hired Skiles. Or the idiot that hired the idiot that hired Scotty.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05