Jeff Blake

jtav10

Veteran
Reaction score
the cardinals will have a chance this year because jblake will use everyone and can stretch the field with his armstrength. i think he is the qb here for many years to come.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
I think our picks will go down and our yards per attempt will go up.

I still think our hope lies in the running game though.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I just hope the defense doesn't suck again. Sometimes I get caught up in the hype and talking up of certain players and am left wondering why our team was 5-11

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11

Running Game shrumming game.

It all depends on the defense and the health of the team.

I just hope the younin' receivers catch on quick.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Originally posted by MAKTEN
DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS

Well, while he was here in AZ, Buddy Ryan proved that you need at least a marginal offense to win.

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by MAKTEN
DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS

oh yeah? Well tell that to the Steelers in the 70's and 80s. Or the Ravens. Or the Bears. Or the Buccos.

um........oh.......................

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rivercard
Well, while he was here in AZ, Buddy Ryan proved that you need at least a marginal offense to win.

Exactly. You need to be dominant on one side of the ball and, at least decent, on the other. The Rams defense was suspect but, still decent, when they won the Super Bowl.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11

Which could be a problem if our starting OL can't play.

Does anyone have a clue what's going on with the OL are any of them going to be ready opening day?

MAKTEN

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rivercard

OFFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS

what I'm saying is that obviously if you have a preponderance of skill on a certain side of the ball then you'll have a successful team. However, recently ridiculous defenses have done well(StL rams withstanding)

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith

Does anyone have a clue what's going on with the OL are any of them going to be ready opening day?

Starkey will. He is a gamer. :D

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jkf296
oh yeah? Well tell that to the Steelers in the 70's and 80s. Or the Ravens. Or the Bears. Or the Buccos.

um........oh.......................

The Bears offense in '85 is often over looked, but those guys could points on the board in a hurry. They were really good.

OP
OP
J

jtav10

Veteran
Reaction score
the running game will be better because they have to respect those bombs and 20 yard ropes from jeff. i also feel we have an awesome d.

mdsisquo

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith

Shelton is already playing, ditto Kendall. I think Clement is too. If the season had already started, Davis would be playing too. The only started who we will be missing is Garcia, and Dishman may be better than him anyway.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Originally posted by jtav10
the running game will be better because they have to respect those bombs and 20 yard ropes from jeff. i also feel we have an awesome d.
Yeah but... what about the receivers on the other side of the bombs? Will they connect with the bombs - is the question. My guess is that it might be ugly in the beginning of the season due to the inexperience of the receivers but will get better as the season progresses.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mdsisquo
Shelton is already playing, ditto Kendall. I think Clement is too. If the season had already started, Davis would be playing too. The only started who we will be missing is Garcia, and Dishman may be better than him anyway.

Spikes is the starter at LG, not Garcia, and he will play tomorrow. So, only Davis is not playing tomorrow out of the starters.

mdsisquo

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by ajcardfan
Spikes is the starter at LG, not Garcia, and he will play tomorrow. So, only Davis is not playing tomorrow out of the starters.

sorry, meant to say spikes.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Nomadic Blake doesn't care what people say

Nomadic Blake doesn't care what people say
Nick Piecoro
azcentral.com
Aug. 8, 2002

Jeff Blake knows what his NFL career looks like on paper.

Five different teams, including four in the past five years.

Only twice in 11 years has he held the starting job for a full 16 games.

Never has he taken a snap in the playoffs.

Blake knows what people say. He just doesn't care.

"It doesn't matter to me," he said. "They don't determine my destiny, I determine my destiny."

Blake, 32, is the new quarterback for the Arizona Cardinals, and although a glance at his resume may reveal flaws, there are reasons to believe that he will be an upgrade over the inconsistent and enigmatic Jake Plummer, who left for Denver as a free agent.

Blake has proven to be capable of producing. In the two seasons he started all 16 games, 1995 and 1996, Blake ranked among the top 10 in NFL quarterbacks in yards and touchdowns, earning a Pro Bowl nomination in 1995.

The Cardinals are his sixth NFL team, injuries being the biggest reason why he has bounced around.

He was drafted by the Jets in the sixth round in 1992, but never got a shot at the starting job. The Bengals claimed him off waivers in 1994 and, two years later, he became the full-time starter and one of the best quarterbacks in the league.

He lost his job, however, in 1997, started just two games in 1998 and moved on to New Orleans by 2000.

Blake believes he might still be the Saints¹ quarterback today had he stayed healthy that season. He helped turn the Saints around in 2000, leading them to a 7-3 record in games he started and finished. But a broken foot opened the door for Aaron Brooks, who played well in Blake's absence to win the job outright. Brooks has been the Saints' starter since.

Last year, Blake moved to Baltimore, where he started 10 games after Chris Redman went down. The Ravens wanted to retain him but the two sides couldn't agree on a deal.

That brought him to Arizona, where he signed a three-year, $7.5 million contract to replace Plummer, who left for Denver after six turbulent seasons in the desert.

A quick glance at Blake and Plummer's career statistics reveals one stark difference between the two. Only once in six years did Plummer throw more touchdowns than interceptions; Blake, however, has never thrown more interceptions than TDs in a full season. Plummer has a career minus-24 touchdown/interception differential (90 TDs, 114 interceptions). Blake has a plus-36 (119, 83).

"He's a good leader out there," Cardinals coach Dave McGinnis said. "He doesn't panic. He's going to make good decisions. He's going to be a good leader on this team."

If nothing else, Blake is terrific at throwing the deep ball.

"The deep ball is something that I'm proud that God has blessed me with it," he said. "I just try to harness it and be good at it every time I do it. I believe in it, I believe that I'm good at it, and that's what entails me to do what I can do."

Blake is surrounded by question marks on the offensive line (health), backfield (age) and receiving corps (experience), but he likes the position he's in. As for the receivers, Blake is quick to point out that no one had heard of Carl Pickens or Darnay Scott in Cincinnati or Joe Horn in New Orleans before he came along.

"I have my big dudes up there in front of me," Blake said. "I've got (tight end) Freddie Jones over there, I've got E. Smith in the backfield. It's looking kind of pretty for me.

"We're on a mission. When I was in New Orleans, we started out 1-3 and then we won six straight. It's not about how you start, it's about how you finish."

:thumbup: