Jerry Jones strikes again....

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Cowboys | Newman Signed
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 19:10:30 -0700

Updating previous reports, Dallas Cowboys first-round draft pick CB Terence Newman has signed a seven-year deal laced with a $13.01 million signing bonus, according to Nick Eatman of DallasCowboys.com. For Newman, the fifth overall pick in the 2003 draft, the deal would likely void back to six years if he proves himself worthy of being a top five pick.

For the second year in a row the Cowboys overpaid their 1st round pick. Newman received a $13.01 million signing bonus, despite last year's #5 pick Quintin Jammer only got about a $8M SB. (Remember the rookie pool is the same as last year) Last year, the Cowboys overpaid Roy Williams making the two players picked ahead of him hold out (Ryan Sims #6 & McKinnie #7), because Williams at #8 received a larger contract than both the Chiefs and Vikings were willing paid their draft picks.

It suddenly makes a lot more sence for Graves to trade down from the 6th pick. I'm sure NO, Jax, Carolina, Minnesota and Baltimore are thrilled about this...

Last edited:

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
The thing with a deal like that is if the player produces he asks for more money in a couple of years, and if he doesn't the team takes a nice little hit there. The Cardinals may not be the best at getting their players into camp, but they usually don't screw themselves over either.

adam

OP
OP
BACH

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Originally posted by green machine
The thing with a deal like that is if the player produces he asks for more money in a couple of years, and if he doesn't the team takes a nice little hit there. The Cardinals may not be the best at getting their players into camp, but they usually don't screw themselves over either.

adam

If the player produces and they don't give him a new contract, this could actually be a good deal for the Cowboys. The problem is that they seem to be the only team in the league willing to take that risk, so they give out contracts that are way off their "slotted value".

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Originally posted by BACH
If the player produces and they don't give him a new contract, this could actually be a good deal for the Cowboys. The problem is that they seem to be the only team in the league willing to take that risk, so they give out contracts that are way off their "slotted value".

If the player produces then they ask for a raise, and if the team doesn't give them one players are willing to hold out until they get one. Therefore it's kind of a lose-lose situation for the team. Since it's the Cowboys it's OK though:thumbup: .

adam

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jerry Jones is a moron! He jumps from last years pick in the same slot only gettin 8 million in bonus to over 13 million???

What a complete ASS! Does he realize what hes doing when he does that????

so far away

Overpaid Rookie
Reaction score
I hope he gets himself into salary cap hell again! WAY TO GO JERRY! Personally I think he's one of the rare owners that makes ours look good.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For the second year in a row the Cowboys overpaid their 1st round pick. Newman received a $13.01 million signing bonus, despite last year's #5 pick Quintin Jammer only got about a $8M SB. (Remember the rookie pool is the same as last year) Last year, the Cowboys overpaid Roy Williams making the two players picked ahead of him hold out (Ryan Sims #6 & McKinnie #7), because Williams at #8 received a larger contract than both the Chiefs and Vikings were willing paid their draft picks.

It suddenly makes a lot more sence for Graves to trade down from the 6th pick. I'm sure NO, Jax, Carolina, Minnesota and Baltimore are thrilled about this...

He didn't so much "overpay" as he over bonused, the deal is more front loaded there's no huge escalators in the end. IIRC the overall total is quite comparable to Jammer. It's just a bigger bonus.

OP
OP
BACH

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Re: Re: Jerry Jones strikes again....

Originally posted by Russ Smith
He didn't so much "overpay" as he over bonused, the deal is more front loaded there's no huge escalators in the end. IIRC the overall total is quite comparable to Jammer. It's just a bigger bonus.

OK, overbonused then. I havn't seen the numbers for the entire deal. Are the public, yet? But since the signing bonus affects the first year cap number it could mean troble for the following teams if they aren't prepared to give such a large/long contract to a rookie.

seesred

Reaction score
I hate the cowbays. However, if our owner was as aggressive as he seams to be on winning we would be saying different things..Like..How about that Bidwill he sure does spend for us to have a great team. Hell, our guy will be happy while the saps over in the Cowgirl league are saying why did the overpay, idiot, screwing up again.

I depends on where you live as to how that is takin.

GBR

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Jerry Jones strikes again....

OK, overbonused then. I havn't seen the numbers for the entire deal. Are the public, yet? But since the signing bonus affects the first year cap number it could mean troble for the following teams if they aren't prepared to give such a large/long contract to a rookie.

Supposed to be 7 years, 33 million with the 7th year voidable is what I posted yesterday when I saw it on ESPN.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Felons winning record has been in a tailspin since JJ left.

They had a couple of good years based on trhe squad JJ left then since we kicked their sorry butts in '98, nothing.

Read Jo's article and you get the sense that Emmit feels that as well

OP
OP
BACH

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Originally posted by nidan
No, the signing bonus is amortized over the life of the contract

Yes, I know. But the higher the signing bonus is the higher the first year's cap number is going to get...

Originally posted by seesred
I hate the cowbays. However, if our owner was as aggressive as he seams to be on winning we would be saying different things..Like..How about that Bidwill he sure does spend for us to have a great team. Hell, our guy will be happy while the saps over in the Cowgirl league are saying why did the overpay, idiot, screwing up again.

I depends on where you live as to how that is takin.

GBR

I think you misunderstood me a little. I didn't mean that Jerry Jones made a mistake by giving such a long/large contract. It's a gamble where the Cowboys hope the players doesn't turn out as a bust. If Newman does deliver - everything worked out for Jerry, If he doesn't the Cowboys takes a big cap hit.

What I meant was, that for the second consecutive year Jerry Jones did not follow "slotted value" system that every other team follows. By doing that he pretty much screws the teams around that #5 pick area, because the Cowboys moves the "slotted value" up.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know. But the higher the signing bonus is the higher the first year's cap number is going to get...

I think you misunderstood me a little. I didn't mean that Jerry Jones made a mistake by giving such a long/large contract. It's a gamble where the Cowboys hope the players doesn't turn out as a bust. If Newman does deliver - everything worked out for Jerry, If he doesn't the Cowboys takes a big cap hit.

What I meant was, that for the second consecutive year Jerry Jones did not follow "slotted value" system that every other team follows. By doing that he pretty much screws the teams around that #5 pick area, because the Cowboys moves the "slotted value" up.

I haven't seen the full deal but I think the first year slot is still in line, it's the 2nd tier bonus that kicks in next year that really mucks it up.

You're right of course that he is creating a nightmare for the teams around him trying to sign their guys. Look at what it did last year and imagine the Vikings trying to sign their guy with that AND the mistake on draft day !

Basically Jones is spending more cash upfront now so he doesn't backload later. I guess the rationale is spend it now while we're not very good, if we get better later, we won't have a ton of backloaded contracts?

Lets face it they're the Cowboys everything they do is evil.

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Confusing????

CB Terence Newman, Kansas State (No. 5 overall): Signing bonus: $6,510,000. Base salaries: $1,111,000 (2003); $1,388,000 (2004, plus $6,500,000 option bonus); $1,666,000 (2005); 1,944,000 (2006); $2,222,000 (2007); $2,499,000 (2008); $1,694,000 (2009, includes escalator, voidable). Note: If team exercises option bonus, base salaries reduce to $305,000 (2004); $583,000 (2005); $861,000 (2006); $1,130,000 (2007); $1,410,000 (2008). There are a variety of escalators that can total as much as $15,000,000 for 2009. Total: seven years, $20,104,000 or six years, $18,410,000, but deal can total as much as $33,000,000 for seven years. Cap charge: $2,041,000.