JJ Arrington - How good can he be?

RobbleRobble

Hope springs eternal
Reaction score
Better than any of the backs taken in the first round? Right now I have him ahead of Benson, behind Caddy and on par with Ronnie Brown. Obviously, they're all different kinds of backs. But looking into your crystal ball, where do you see Arrington's career ranking against the other top rushers?

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Career wise I think he'll be great. As far as next year, his numbers will be modest because he'll be sharing carries with Shipp and Hambrick. Rookie RBs don't do that great.

Benson will be splitting time w/ Jones.

Cadillac may split some carries w/ Pittman, but he'll get most of the load.

Ronnie Brown will get all the carries until Ricky comes back.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hambrick was a no show at OTA's, but to my knowledge, is still on the roster.

In my opinion, Arrington's upside could put him in the same category as Tiki Barber. But he's still got to reach that upside. If he falls short of that, he could still be very important as a situation-RB. (Or not).

seesred

Reaction score
A very hard question to answer. If Warner can come back it will make the running game stronger. If the offensive line is truly repaired it will let JJ run farther. JJ has talent, no question. Any kid that runs over 2000 yards against top competition has got to have a lot of talent. He runs low to the ground and is very fast. So, to answer your question is impossable. Let's wait to see if he wins the starting job in the first or second pre season game. Then ask the same question again.

GBR

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Overtime, JJ will be the best back in this years draft--hopefully with the Cardinals :)

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
LoyaltyisaCurse said:
Overtime, JJ will be the best back in this years draft--hopefully with the Cardinals :)

No question about it.

Bartender, Cool-aids on me! :koolaid:

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Hambrick was a no show at OTA's, but to my knowledge, is still on the roster.

In my opinion, Arrington's upside could put him in the same category as Tiki Barber. But he's still got to reach that upside. If he falls short of that, he could still be very important as a situation-RB. (Or not).

I hope Arrington turns out better than Barber. Barber is overated.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm going with Curse

on this. I think Hambrick is going to be used in bruiser goal line situations at first. Shipp, if healthy is going to be our "tween the tackles" bull and Arrington is going to be our all inclusive back. I mean he might get the rock in any situation. If everything falls into place, the way it's supposed to he could be great.

1DS

Registered
Reaction score
duckfallas said:
I hope Arrington turns out better than Barber. Barber is overated.

Overated? He anually has about 1,200+ yards running and another 700+ yards receiving. If we could get that out of Arrington, everyone of us would be happy. I wouldn't call nearly 2,000 yards from scrimage overrated at all. I'd call it pretty damn impressive.

1DS

Registered
Reaction score
jstadvl said:
on this. I think Hambrick is going to be used in bruiser goal line situations at first. Shipp, if healthy is going to be our "tween the tackles" bull and Arrington is going to be our all inclusive back. I mean he might get the rock in any situation. If everything falls into place, the way it's supposed to he could be great.

I think Hambrick is pretty much done with us, he will be cut very soon IMO. He's basically doing the same thing he did in Oakland last year, when he was #4 on the depth chart. After we drafted Arrington, Hambrick must have figured he was #3 at best and he decided it wasn't worth it. If he does come in, expect him to be overweight, just like he was last season when he got here.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1DirtySanchez said:
I think Hambrick is pretty much done with us, he will be cut very soon IMO. He's basically doing the same thing he did in Oakland last year, when he was #4 on the depth chart. After we drafted Arrington, Hambrick must have figured he was #3 at best and he decided it wasn't worth it. If he does come in, expect him to be overweight, just like he was last season when he got here.

I was thinking the same thing, Hambrick was so upset with Oakland feeling they weren't giving him a chance, that he showed up overweight and skipped part of camp. It was well known they were going to cut him but we traded for him so we made sure we got him(as opposed to trying to claim him after he was cut).

He can help us here and there but he doesn't seem to be a guy who's willing to do that, he wants #1 job or nothing.

I think JJ will be a very good player but he's not going to be a star from day 1, he'll need to learn the system and he'll need to work on his blocking.

I love the pick I think he'll be a hell of a player for us.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
pro bowler

1DirtySanchez said:
Overated? He anually has about 1,200+ yards running and another 700+ yards receiving. If we could get that out of Arrington, everyone of us would be happy. I wouldn't call nearly 2,000 yards from scrimage overrated at all. I'd call it pretty damn impressive.

Considering that joke of an offensive line the G-men fielded last season, Barber earned his accolades. I hope J.J. is watching plenty of Tiki Barber 2004 tape.;)

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
1DirtySanchez said:

He did have a good year last year but most of his career he has been considered a 3rd down back. 2 good seasons out of 8 doesn't mean much. I think Arrington is a better runner than Barber and can be a better back overall.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm not

considering him being gone, Hambrick that is. If so, either Shipp or a FB ( perhaps one of the others in our stable will step up as that type of runner), will pick up the duties Hambrick was supposed to have. No matter, Shipp will still get what he's supposed to do and Arrington will grow to be an excellent RB if they both stay injury free.

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
duckfallas said:
He did have a good year last year but most of his career he has been considered a 3rd down back. 2 good seasons out of 8 doesn't mean much. I think Arrington is a better runner than Barber and can be a better back overall.

Hmmm, Tiki is a 3rd down back only 2 good seasons? Lets look at his production since he became the starter in NY and compare it to our best RB efforts that year:

Tiki Barber 12 games started - 1006 yards rushing, 8 TD's 719 yards rec 1 TD
Michael Pittman 12 games started - 719 yards rushing, 4 Td's, 579 yards rec 2 TD's

Tiki Barber 9 games started - 865 yards rushing, 4 TD's, 577 yards rec, 0 TD's
Michael Pittman 14 games started - 846 yards rushing, 5 TD's, 264 yards rec, 0 TD's

Tiki Barber 15 games started - 1387 yards rushing, 11 TD's, 597 yards rec 4 TD's
Marcel Shipp 6 games started - 834 yards, 6 TD's, 413 yards rec, 0 TD's

Tiki Barber 16 games started - 1216 yards rushing, 2 TD's, 461 yards rec 1 TD
Marcel Shipp 11 games started - 830 yards rushing, 0 TD's, 184 yards rec, 0 TD's

Tiki Barber 14 games started - 1518 yards rushing, 13 TD's, 578 yards rec 2 TD's
Emmitt Smith 15 games started - 937 yards rushing, 9 TD's, 105 yards rec, 0 TD's

Totals:
Tiki Barber 66 Starts - 5992 yards rushing, 38 TD's, 2932 yards rec, 4 TD's
Arizona 58 Starts - 4166 yards rushing, 24 TD's, 1545 yards rec, 2 TD's

Average per game 80 games over the last 5 years:
Tiki Barber - 91 yards rushing, .636 TD's per game, 44 yards recieving.
Arizona as a team (not just best player as a TEAM!) - 97 yards rushing, .737 TD's per game, 29 yards recieving.

So Tiki Barber averages 11 more yards per game he plays then our entire TEAM, and he is only short by a TD every 10 games by himself compared to our entire TEAM over the last 5 years, So yea I can see why he is only a 3rd down back and only has had 2 good years.

I'd take Tiki an a heartbeat on my team any day.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jstadvl said:
considering him being gone, Hambrick that is. If so, either Shipp or a FB ( perhaps one of the others in our stable will step up as that type of runner), will pick up the duties Hambrick was supposed to have. No matter, Shipp will still get what he's supposed to do and Arrington will grow to be an excellent RB if they both stay injury free.

If we go that route I wouldn't be surprised to see 'Femi in that role. DG likes him, he's a good do-everything FB but not a great blocker, we will also have either Hodgins or Marrow as the other FB who are both better blockers.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Career wise I think he'll be great. As far as next year, his numbers will be modest because he'll be sharing carries with Shipp and Hambrick. Rookie RBs don't do that great.

Benson will be splitting time w/ Jones.

Cadillac may split some carries w/ Pittman, but he'll get most of the load.

Ronnie Brown will get all the carries until Ricky comes back.

Why do people keep saying rookies RB's don't do great? That's the easiest position to make the transition from college to NFL. While they do need to learn pass protection and other details, as far as just stats are concerned RBs often look great as rookies.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
seesred said:
A very hard question to answer. If Warner can come back it will make the running game stronger. If the offensive line is truly repaired it will let JJ run farther. JJ has talent, no question. Any kid that runs over 2000 yards against top competition has got to have a lot of talent. He runs low to the ground and is very fast. So, to answer your question is impossable. Let's wait to see if he wins the starting job in the first or second pre season game. Then ask the same question again.

GBR

Especially after the Thomas "pass the telephone" Jones debacle.

It'll take me a while to recover from that one.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arrington may be the best rookie RB this year almost by default. The job is his--no one is really even pretending that he'll have to beat Shipp or Hambrick in camp. Whereas even Brown now is playing in Miami with R. Williams. Say what you want, he is one of the more dominating backs in football. He's certain to get a few carries.

The only competition I see is from Cadillac Williams. Yeah, Pittman had a nice year and alstott always gets a few carries (quite a few in the red-zone, I might add), but Cadillac should certainly get the lion's share in Tampa. But, they play in a much more difficult division and don't have the passing game we should.

I wasn't all that high on Arrington before the draft, but I'm not dissappointed he's on the team. He's in a very good situation; I hope he makes the best of it.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

Bottom line is that we are still the Cards. There is the highest probability that Arrington will be a huge bust.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane H said:
Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

Bottom line is that we are still the Cards. There is the highest probability that Arrington will be a huge bust.

apparently you're having a hard time shutting the hell up Shane. Don't ************ out there and wipe that snicker off those purty little lips you SOB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan