SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Slater center put together solid NBA career

Missouri heroes and legends series

Joe Kleine Slater, Missouri

Joe Kleine began his long list of basketball accomplishments at Slater High School in 1977 where he is still the leading scorer and rebounder in school history. Kleine is in the top 15 among the list of all-time scorers in the Show-Me State with a 25.99 per game average in four seasons. His rebounding total of 1,667 is second on the all-time Missouri rankings.

A three-time all-state selection, Kleine helped Slater to a second place finish in Class 2A in 1980 and was named a McDonald's and a Parade All-American.

In 1980, he was named one of the National High School Athletic Coaches Association top ten academic All-Americans. After a year at the University of Notre Dame, he went on to the University of Arkansas where he was the Southwest Conference Newcomer of the Year in 1983. He led the Razorbacks in scoring and rebounding in 194 and 1985 and was team MVP and an All-American in 1985.

Kleine was a member of the 1984 U. S. Olympic gold medal winning basketball team and went on to be a first round NBA draft choice for the Sacramento Kings in 1985.

His National Basketball Association career spanned 15 seasons from 1986 through 2000. Kleine played 965 games for Sacramento, Boston, Phoenix, Los Angeles Lakers, New Jersey Nets, Chicago, and Portland. Kleine who did an outstanding job defending top centers in the league scored 4,666 points and pulled down 3,991 rebounds.

Kleine was inducted into the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame in 1990.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did he really do an outstanding job defensively on the league's top centers? Really? Outstanding? I don't seem to recall that. Maybe average or adequate. I could be wrong.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Joe did do an outstanding job of passing out during the national anthem

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
HooverDam said:
Joe did do an outstanding job of passing out during the national anthem

Can't hold a candle to Kempton's TKO of a half dozen chairs at the Forum.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always loved the thought that Kleine was supposed to help beat Hakeem by drawing him out with 15-20 feet jumpers.

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
And his nose was the most explosive landing point ever of a Karl "the Flopmeister" Malone's elbow.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Oh yes our 2 headed monster at center JOE KLEINE & DANNY SCHAYES

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y'all mock Joe Kleine, but he's easily one of the most entertaining Suns ever. If you're ever in Memphis, check out Kleine's chain of BBQ joints called Corky's. If you ever see him, buy him a beer and he will be your best friend for life. He's got the dirt on a lot of players, especially Majerle, and after a few drinks he'll try and convince you he never got his just desserts.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I met Joe Kleine once at a Sports Authority once when I was like 12, he did seem like a nice guy. Do you think he'd sign with us for the minimum? :p

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
Y'all mock Joe Kleine, but he's easily one of the most entertaining Suns ever. If you're ever in Memphis, check out Kleine's chain of BBQ joints called Corky's.

Joe Kleine owns CORKY'S!??!!! That place is AWESOME.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
Joe Kleine owns CORKY'S!??!!! That place is AWESOME.

He is part owner. I believe he also owns a BBQ joint somewhere in his hometown in Arkansas, but I don't remember. Last time I spoke with him was in 1997.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
God I hated Joe Kleine. He's the kind of guy that would only be able to start on the Suns, because we would throw any white boy that's 7' at center.

Remember Danny Schayes, Luc Longley, Jake Suckalotis.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
God I hated Joe Kleine. He's the kind of guy that would only be able to start on the Suns, because we would throw any white boy that's 7' at center.

thanks to this thread I do remember them. I've spent a lot of time trying to forget them. :)

Joe Mama

OP
OP
SweetD

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
JPlay said:

What about...

Oliver Miller, Mark West, Hot Rod Williams, Andrew Lang, Joe Barry Carroll :), Corie Blount, Mark Bryant, Larry Nance, Jahidi White, Scott Williams.... ect

Come on guys get a clue!

sunsfn

Reaction score
SweetD said:
What about...

Oliver Miller, Mark West, Hot Rod Williams, Andrew Lang, Joe Barry Carroll :), Corie Blount, Mark Bryant, Larry Nance, Jahidi White, Scott Williams.... ect

Come on guys get a clue!

Right,
And I am getting a little uneasy with the easy throwing around of the terms,
"white boy"
"white stiff"

I have not ever on this site seen anybody post something like this to the above named players.

----------------------------------------
---------------------------------

Yeah, that is sure a bunch of black stiffs.............!

I think that white boy, white stiff stuff needs to stop.

-

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously their skin color is irrelevant. But I just thought Chris Dudley might feel left out.

Drop D

Striving for the Penultimate
Reaction score
SweetD said:
What about...

Come on guys get a clue!

C'mon! If we were to sign a 28 yr old Mark West or Andrew Lang to Suns now, most on this board would be jazzed. Mark West helped us finally beat the Lakers in the playoffs. Either would provide defense for this team before fouling out. They didn't have the benefit of playing next to Amare though.

By the way, Mark West and KJ are my two favorite Suns players (until Amare brings us a championship).

This list is especially funny considering some of the players mentioned that we should try to bring in. "I'm sure that we could package Barbs, 2 first rd picks, Voskhul and the rights to Vujanic for (name your one dimensional stiff)." :D