Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw

What do you think was the right thing to do?

• Total voters

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neither would walk in the MVP ceremony prior to the game. They declined because the NFL wouldnt pony up the 100,000 they usually get for appearance fees. I think it was a downright poopy thing to do and totally classless. SO putting up a pole on what the majority think. Collin Cowherd had a huge debate on it on his ESPN radio show this AM. Cowherd is in the it was a classless move side of this.

These guys owe what they have to the NFL and the SB stage that was afforded them during their careers. You think they would be willing to give something back.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Jake Scott was missing too. Don't let him off.

I heard on the Jungle that Bradshaw has claimed it wasn't about the money, it was about spending time with his family. Don't really believe a word Bradshaw says.

As for JoMo, nothing.

Classless thing to do. I watched that and was like, WHAT, where is Joe?? Missing the two best SB QBs really hurt that thing.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
Jake Scott was missing too. Don't let him off.

I heard on the Jungle that Bradshaw has claimed it wasn't about the money, it was about spending time with his family. Don't really believe a word Bradshaw says.

As for JoMo, nothing.

Classless thing to do. I watched that and was like, WHAT, where is Joe?? Missing the two best SB QBs really hurt that thing.

At teh risk of sounding stupid. Who the hell is Jake Scott? :)

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the NFL wants to parade their former greats in the biggest money maker of the year, then they should pony up the cash.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
If the NFL wants to parade their former greats in the biggest money maker of the year, then they should pony up the cash.

You dont think these guuys are multi millionaires because of the NFL already? They owe everything they have to this league.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane H said:
You dont think these guuys are multi millionaires because of the NFL already? They owe everything they have to this league.

BS. These guys sacraficed their bodies for the NFL. They owe the NFL nothing.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:

Really? DO you think they would trade their bumps and bruises broken bones etc..... for the standard american middle class lifestyle? Or do you think they enjoy the lifestyle the NFL has afforded them?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:

If not for the Super Bowl, Joe Montana would be just another QB - for him to miss this was inexcusible.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Shane H said:

But doesnt the league owe their success to these superstar players/personalities as well.

I really dont have an opinion one way or the other, I can see both sides. I just think of it as big deal.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I just read the article on espn and came to see if there was a discussion about it.

I think they should have gone. The article I read said Montana wanted $100,000 to do it. What a joke. They would have had all their expenses covered and game tickets just for a brief appearance at the Super Bowl. That's pretty lame, IMO.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm taking all my corny Mervyn's shirts back. Nothing to do with Montana ever again.

:mad::mad:

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
But doesnt the league owe their success to these superstar players/personalities as well.

I really dont have an opinion one way or the other, I can see both sides. I just think of it as big deal.

Yes and no. If the TErry and Joe didnt step up on the big stage someone would have in their place. That you can be sure of.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
krepitch said:
I just read the article on espn and came to see if there was a discussion about it.

I think they should have gone. The article I read said Montana wanted $100,000 to do it. What a joke. They would have had all their expenses covered and game tickets just for a brief appearance at the Super Bowl. That's pretty lame, IMO.

Not only that the NFL offered to get them more appearances with bigger paydays. Per Cowherd on ESPN.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane H said:
Really? DO you think they would trade their bumps and bruises broken bones etc..... for the standard american middle class lifestyle? Or do you think they enjoy the lifestyle the NFL has afforded them?

No I don't think they would trade it in. But I don't think that they owe the NFL anything.

The NFL is making money by parading these guys around so I think they should be paid for it. This appearance was part of the NFL image which makes the NFL such a marketable product.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
No I don't think they would trade it in. But I don't think that they owe the NFL anything.

The NFL is making money by parading these guys around so I think they should be paid for it. This appearance was part of the NFL image which makes the NFL such a marketable product.

Both parties (NFL and Montana/Bradshaw) make mega-money off each other. If this all is true, this will cost Montana more than $100,000 in lost fees, endorsements, etc. Bad move on his part.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jake Scott was a Dolphin Safety on the 17-0 team. Played for Dolphins for 6 years. Pro Bowl 5 times. Jake is a very free spirit and a great guy. He is in Australia right now. Probably doing a walk about.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:

The NFL didnt make any money by bringing out those MVP's Every ticket was bought and concession were going to be sold regardless of that mini pre game event.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
Jake Scott was a Dolphin Safety on the 17-0 team. Played for Dolphins for 6 years. Pro Bowl 5 times. Jake is a very free spirit and a great guy. He is in Australia right now. Probably doing a walk about.

Thanks Wally. At least his absence makes some sense.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Shane H said:
Thanks Wally. At least his absence makes some sense.

Montana wanted to be with his family.. or so said the article... I have no problem with him asking for money from the NFL. It's all apart of any business relationship. Why this has to be publicized is ridiculous.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane H said:
The NFL didnt make any money by bringing out those MVP's Every ticket was bought and concession were going to be sold regardless of that mini pre game event.

Like I said the NFL is making tons of money off of its Image. We are talking about all the stuff that is sold away from the games. Lots of money my friend!

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Name one time where any corporation asked a former employee to make guest apperances on their behalf and not expect to compensate them for travel costs?

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
Name one time where any corporation asked a former employee to make guest apperances on their behalf and not expect to compensate them for travel costs?

Sorry but the NFL was ponying up 1st class tickets for them and family, Tickets to game, Hotel reservations, and to set up other forums to make appearnaces and make more cash.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Shane H said:
Sorry but the NFL was ponying up 1st class tickets for them and family, Tickets to game, Hotel reservations, and to set up other forums to make appearnaces and make more cash.

so what.. it's called negotiations.... Montana asked for $100k (allegedly) and the NFL did not want to hear it.(allegedly) .. so Montana chose to stay home with his family(allegedly) ... I really don't see anything wrong with it.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
so what.. it's called negotiations.... Montana asked for $100k (allegedly) and the NFL did not want to hear it.(allegedly) .. so Montana chose to stay home with his family(allegedly) ... I really don't see anything wrong with it.

Its not "SO WHAT" Because you tired to make a comparison that wasnt true with the corporations.