Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw

What do you think was the right thing to do?

• Total voters
OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
Name one time where any corporation asked a former employee to make guest apperances on their behalf and not expect to compensate them for travel costs?

Bolded is why. The NFL was compensating and then some!

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Shane H said:
Bolded is why. The NFL was compensating and then some!

so says you... Per their standards they wanted more... so they balked.. what wrong with that??? Oh wait.. I know.. it's because they made millions of dollars right?.. While the NFL makes billions! It's called business..

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
Additional thread on this topic:
http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=68001

They offered plane tickets, hotel accommodations, meals, a Cadillac to drive for the weekend, tickets to parties, etc. plus $1000 cash. Neither of these guys really needs any of those things....

If it is true that they turned the invite down because of $$$ it's just bad "sportsmanship" from two of the best Super Bowl performers ever.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
so says you... Per their standards they wanted more... so they balked.. what wrong with that??? Oh wait.. I know.. it's because they made millions of dollars right?.. While the NFL makes billions! It's called business..

Not so syas me. So says reliable ESPN on this AM's radio. You act as though its wrong that the NFL is a billion dollar industry? But once again your comparison is no good.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Billy Flynt said:
Additional thread on this topic:
http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=68001

They offered plane tickets, hotel accommodations, meals, a Cadillac to drive for the weekend, tickets to parties, etc. plus $1000 cash. Neither of these guys really needs any of those things....

If it is true that they turned the invite down because of $$$ it's just bad "sportsmanship" from two of the best Super Bowl performers ever.
:thumbup:

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Shane H said:
Not so syas me. So says reliable ESPN on this AM's radio. You act as though its wrong that the NFL is a billion dollar industry? But once again your comparison is no good.

No not at all. But you act like it's wrong for them to make millions of dollars. They are business men just like everyone else. They have a right to make a business decision. Why is this news? ( I know the answer but just think it is silly to rip these guys)

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
clif said:
No not at all. But you act like it's wrong for them to make millions of dollars. They are business men just like everyone else. They have a right to make a business decision. Why is this news? ( I know the answer but just think it is silly to rip these guys)

I love when guys hold out and end up getting less money than what they were originally offered. ;) This reminds me of that situation.

IMO, they should have gone as a gesture. It would have been sportsmanlike and a thankyou to the fans.

At least Bradshaw could have hyped his new movie. That would have been a good business decision, no?

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
krepitch said:
I love when guys hold out and end up getting less money than what they were originally offered. ;) This reminds me of that situation.

IMO, they should have gone as a gesture. It would have been sportsmanlike and a thankyou to the fans.

At least Bradshaw could have hyped his new movie. That would have been a good business decision, no?

I agree, but as a Montana fan I don't think any less of him. It's not like I was going to be there...so I could care less. Besides the NFL would have to pay me way more than a $100,000 to spend a week in Detroit ;)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
If not for the Super Bowl, Joe Montana would be just another QB - for him to miss this was inexcusible.

Disagree. For me, just like everyone else. Time = $$$. If someone wants me to come and work on their computer/network, it is going to cost them $50 an hour. If Joe's and Terry's time is worth $100k, sobeit.

Reaction score
Chickenshat and Classless move by Montana and Bradshaw....

Wonder if they asked for appearance fees when it was time to be inducted into the HOF??

Last edited:

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Some things you do for your profession and not for the money. That's a pretty exclusive group to be associated with and the status goes well beyond the dollars they've earned.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We really have no clue what was going on with either guy this weekend. So, I think they should've been there if they could've. I'm not in their shoes though, there's a chance they did the better thing by not going. But, it's really not worth more than a shoulder shrug and a brief post to me.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2006/02/07/SPG9IH41CO1.DTL

Montana chose to be with family
Ex-49ers QB defends spurning pregame ceremony
Kevin Lynch, Chronicle Staff Writer

Tuesday, February 7, 2006

Printable Version
Email This Article

Baseball (AL/NL)
NFL
College Football
Tennis
Golf
NHL
NBA
WNBA
College Hoops (M)
College Hoops (W)
Soccer (M)
Auto Racing
Boxing
Horse Racing

Former 49ers quarterback Joe Montana on Monday defended his decision to decline an invitation to be a part of a Super Bowl pregame ceremony with past Super Bowl MVPs.

The Chronicle cited two league sources in Monday's editions saying that the three-time Super Bowl MVP wanted at least $100,000 in order to appear. The NFL offered two tickets to the game, hotel accommodations, weekend car rental, tickets to three NFL parties, $1,000 spending money and first-class airfare.

The office of Peter Johnson, Montana's agent at IMG, sent out a statement in response to the media fervor prompted by The Chronicle report.

"Joe Montana was in Detroit for Super Bowl activities on the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday prior to the game, but always had planned to return home before the weekend to be with his family," the statement read. "He fulfilled his promise to attend son Nathaniel's basketball game on Friday night and son Nicholas' game on Sunday, and then be home with his family to watch the Super Bowl."

Montana expounded on that statement on ESPN's "Quite Frankly with Stephen A. Smith." Smith reached Montana by phone at Montana's Santa Rosa home Monday.

"To me, it's more important to be home with my boys," Montana told Smith. "The Super Bowl is a great event, but I've moved on with my life."

Montana expressed regret that he wasn't around enough during his playing days to attend events by his two eldest daughters, Alexandra, 20, and Elizabeth, 19.

"When I was playing, I missed my two girls' (events)," Montana said. "They look up (in the stands) and myself and my wife are not there. I want to be there for the boys." Nathanial is 16 and Nicholas is 13.

When Smith asked why league sources would leak information about Montana's inability to attend, Montana said, "People were trying to find ways to make me want to stay. I try to appease everyone, but it's impossible."

When asked directly by Smith if he had asked the NFL for appearance money, Montana said no.

He went to Detroit to promote a drug that controls his high blood pressure. He said that CNN moved up an interview on Thursday night, so he could catch his plane Friday.

Montana was asked by the NFL to be a part of a pregame presentation with all of the surviving Super Bowl MVPs. Montana, former Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw and former Dolphins defensive back Jake Scott (who was vacationing in Australia) didn't show up.

Reports, including one in The Chronicle, said money was also an issue with Bradshaw. Bradshaw has said that he had family obligations.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
I heard a good point.

At the least, the NFL could have filmed a short clip of montana and bradshaw and smith to play on the video screen when they were introduced.

golfcardfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Per article above Joe Montana completed his obligation and then went home to be with his family. I have absolutely no problem with that seems to me he has his priorities straight! Your family is more important than making a brief appearance at the SB which I am sure he has done numerous times. Let the guy have a life after football!

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
This is just BS publicity stunts by Bradshaw and Montana. They were both in Detroit pre-SuperBowl and left because of money. If Bart Starr and Roger Staubach can somehow squeeze it into their schedule I think Montana and Bradshaw could as well. It was all about the $$$. If my dad told me he was going to miss my meaningless high school basketball game because he was asked to be part of a 40th anniversary celebration of the biggest event in sports, I think I'd cut him a little slack.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Much ado about nothing...

This is what is problem with the Super Bowl today.

NOBODY but Mr. Montana and Mr. Bradshaw can know EXACTLY why they passed on the invitation. It is their business, not ESPN's or the fan who thinks they "owe" them the right to see them hobble down on the field.

The parade of former MVP's, TV commercials, who is singing the National Anthem, who is playing at halftime, what famous personality can get their mug on camera, ad nauseum...

Oh yeah....they played a football game on Sunday too...

It's beyond ridiculous...

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
moklerman said:
If my dad told me he was going to miss my meaningless high school basketball game because he was asked to be part of a 40th anniversary celebration of the biggest event in sports, I think I'd cut him a little slack.

You make one big mistake. Why is his sons game meaningless to either the son or the father but a trivial 2 second face time at the beginning of a none family event isnt meaningless.

It isnt about asking the son(or in Montanas case 2 sons both young) if you can skip his event(which you shouldnt have to ask in the first place) it is about being their for your son regardless. And why should you ask your child that question in the first place? Not Cool.

My Father made every effort to make it to all of my events, not once asking me if he can skip it for a trivial event. And that I am very thankful for. It is about priorities and anyone who thinks that 2 seconds of face time at a none family event is more important then a family event doesnt have their priorities straight, its as simple as that.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane H said:
At teh risk of sounding stupid. Who the hell is Jake Scott? :)

Was on the '72 Dolphins, Safety I think.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
TRW said:
This is what is problem with the Super Bowl today.

NOBODY but Mr. Montana and Mr. Bradshaw can know EXACTLY why they passed on the invitation. It is their business, not ESPN's or the fan who thinks they "owe" them the right to see them hobble down on the field.

The parade of former MVP's, TV commercials, who is singing the National Anthem, who is playing at halftime, what famous personality can get their mug on camera, ad nauseum...

Oh yeah....they played a football game on Sunday too...

It's beyond ridiculous...

true dat

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
golfcardfan said:
Per article above Joe Montana completed his obligation and then went home to be with his family. I have absolutely no problem with that seems to me he has his priorities straight! Your family is more important than making a brief appearance at the SB which I am sure he has done numerous times. Let the guy have a life after football!

The problem is the reports are he asked for 100K and when the NFL said no, suddenly his family was the priority. If he is telling the truth about not asking for money, then I think no big deal. If he asked for 100K, I find it annoying that he made the decision based on money but is using his family as the excuse. I have no idea what the truth is, I do know when Joe was younger he was pretty notorious for demanding high appearance fees at things like memorabilia shows.

I worked for a company years ago that did interactive sports, we tried to get Montana to participate in a game once and he demanded so much money, we wound up using Roger Craig instead. Craig did it for free, well we gave him a free Tshirt.

So it wouldn't surprise me at all if Montana did demand the 100K.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think that these guys would enjoy walking on the field, being announced and then getting applause -- FOR FREE. $100K? C'mon.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
Some things you do for your profession and not for the money. That's a pretty exclusive group to be associated with and the status goes well beyond the dollars they've earned.

Explain to me what you do for a living...

What you are saying would be like.....For example, what if I found a revolutionary way to make the size of mp3's 10x smaller than they are now. Do you think that I should share my invention (invention,service, public appearance, whatever) would being properly compensated?

I know I would not. Others may though.