John Clayton said on ESPN radio that the Shelton/Henry trade will happen

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Clayton said it should happen before the draft and that it will be a straight up trade, they will not switch 2nd round picks.

insider1

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
what does this mean for the draft. they go for a cb even if there is a rb still on the board. hard to believe if we are talking about the same denny green. he loves to draft offense early.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
insider1 said:
he loves to draft offense early.

Everyone keeps on saying this when it is not true. Somehow becuase Greens O's have been succesfull he has gotten this tag of only drafting O players.

He has just as many D picks as he does O picks in his 1st round draft history. In fact he has picked more D players in the first 3 rounds then he has O players during his draft history.

His drafts are really balanced from round 1 - 7.

arizona_cards_11

Registered
Reaction score
The more I look at http://www.nfldraftscout.com and the combine results, the more I want Carlos Rogers.

If DJ is there then I would draft him, but next in line is Rogers

Rogers Combine Results for all Doubters:

40 Time: 4.44 s
Shuttle: 3.84 s
Cone Drill: 6.49 s ****Holy Crap****
Vertical: 40.5"

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
So if we get Henry in a trade, pick one of the top 3 CBs in round 1, then what position do we get in round 2 with less of a need for RB.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Matt Jones may be good but is a project. Plus he is projecting out to be a WR not a TE. No way will Denny take him in the second round. The guy he will take if there is Alex Smith, TE Stanford. Denny loves the Stanford players (he was head coach there!). It would really open up our passing attack with Fitz, Boldin and Alex Smith. :thumbup:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigRedFan said:
So if we get Henry in a trade, pick one of the top 3 CBs in round 1, then what position do we get in round 2 with less of a need for RB.
CB

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
BigRedFan said:

What ever the heck we want to.

OG, LB (to go opposite of Dansby, Darling can be upgraded), we could use another CB, TE, QB (Jason Campbell, Frye), a FS to groom behind Griffith, a speed RB.

the options would be endless and we would truly be able to do the so called BPA.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
BigRedFan said:

BPA, That kicks ass!!! Last year Green pulled that off and you see how it worked out :thumbup:

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
What ever the heck we want to.

OG, LB (to go opposite of Dansby, Darling can be upgraded), we could use another CB, TE, QB (Jason Campbell, Frye), a FS to groom behind Griffith, a speed RB.

the options would be endless and we would truly be able to do the so called BPA.

:thumbup:

Yup, lots of players rated as low 1st/high 2nd rounder in this draft. Somebody good will slide to #44 and looking at positions that somebody most likely will be a CB, LB, DL or OL.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
arizona_cards_11 said:
The more I look at http://www.nfldraftscout.com and the combine results, the more I want Carlos Rogers.

If DJ is there then I would draft him, but next in line is Rogers

Rogers Combine Results for all Doubters:

40 Time: 4.44 s
Shuttle: 3.84 s
Cone Drill: 6.49 s ****Holy Crap****
Vertical: 40.5"

Yep...that's who I want if we don't go RB.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
I know that Denny doesn't like to draft by need, but you know he wants to give Rowen a stud TE to work with - you would have to be an idiot to not think otherwise. I think we could see Kevin Everett get drafted by the Cards in the 2nd Round. He seems to have the most upside and athleticism of the TE's available in that area. That's what I would like to see, and think seems logical.

Shuesters2

Wind Breaker
Reaction score
I suspect Clayton knows as much about this trade as we do... which isn't much. If it goes down he can say I told you so, if not it will just fade away and he will never get called on it.

Shuesters

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
LB (to go opposite of Dansby, Darling can be upgraded

Darling had a great year last year, and had the most tackles out of all LBs. I think we can count on him to play hard for at least one or two more seasons. I don't consider LB to be a dire need for this team right now with Dansby, Darling, Huff, and hopefully Hayes. Also, Thompson is still technically on the roster, and Woods isn't a starter, but he isn't a bad back-up.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Oran said:
Darling had a great year last year, and had the most tackles out of all LBs. I think we can count on him to play hard for at least one or two more seasons. I don't consider LB to be a dire need for this team right now with Dansby, Darling, Huff, and hopefully Hayes. Also, Thompson is still technically on the roster, and Woods isn't a starter, but he isn't a bad back-up.

But according to your thoughts on Huff from another thread he sucks and wont even make the roster. So which is it.

Now dont get me wrong I like Darling a lot but 88 tackles with not much else, can be upgraded.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Funny thing. I just went the other way - I originally liked Rogers but am now leaning Rolle.

You looked at nfldraftscout. I looked at CBSportsline data (excerpts of which I am gradually adding to the BRS player write-ups, with QB, RB, WR, DE, DT and CB stuff completed so far).

CBSportsline provides a completely different take on players from material from Scouts, Inc. (ESPN) or the War Room (Sporting News/Fox). Yet the info they provide seems equally as detailed - just different. Here's their Rogers write-up:

Physical Description - *Well-built, strong athlete with good overall muscle tone, broad shoulders, thick chest, long, muscular arms, good bubble and a V-shaped torso …

Upside … *Physical and tough player who takes well to hard coaching … Showed great improvement in his play in 2004, and no longer seems hesitant in his reactionary skills or afraid of giving up the big play … good acceleration to the ball/looks comfortable playing the wide corner position in a Cover-2 scheme, where he can sit and read underneath round and break downhill … exceptional timed speed, but sometimes it does not translate to the field *… adequate body control to make adjustments on the move…shows urgency getting into position to defend the ball … Strong enough to challenge and press receivers at the LOS …Has the speed to run and recover on deep routes … Good at maintaining hand placement to reroute receivers and has the COD agility to stay on his man's hips, even when they execute double moves … Displayed better hand usage around the LOS in 2004, getting good leverage when he utilized his hands to stack and control … More of a drag-down type of tackler, but stays low in his pads and takes better angles to the ball than he did earlier in his career.

Downside … Played to far “off” in the past … Has improved his work habits, but will do his "own thing" at times. Must work in a structured environment…does not show a good feel to anticipate routes and is late on his turn when he peeks into the backfield too long … Has the speed to run with the receivers, but shuffles his feet too much through routes and lacks ideal hip snap to turn and run in transition … Can locate the receivers in front of him in zone coverage, but gets up on his heels too much … Not a fan of run support, as he gets tied up by combo blocks and gets soft when he has to face up to the offensive linemen … Lunges and leaves his feet too much when making open field tackles … The staff calls him a "coach on the field," but he has only adequate field awareness, shows stiffness in his turns, still allows too much separation and needs several reps to retain plays … His Wonderlic score and spending a season at Hargrave Academy is evidence that he is still a work in progress as far as field intelligence goes … Strictly a boom or bust type that may be better served in a Cover-2 system.

There's a Tommy Knight aspect of Rogers play before last year that concerns me - has he effectively combatted this, or is it an integral part of of his nature & something he may be prone to regress to? .

Last edited:

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
John Clayton is usally right on with most of his stuff. If this trade does happen I think we can forget about a RB in the first round. CB then does seem like the likely pick for need. Taking Rolle and another CB in the first four rounds would seem like the way to go unless we sign a FA before the draft.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Funny thing. I just went the other way - I originally liked Rogers but am now leaning Rolle.

Rolle is a tough player. Big hitter and strong tackler. Rogers has more speed but is not nearly as tough in my opinion. Rolle is like a bigger and stronger version of Aeneus Williams. I also like Rolle better.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan