Jonah Williams status?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Skeptics were hounded over the offseason that this long rebuild was all about building the belly of the team and creating stability and depth before we tried to compete. Well, that's not looking like a stunningly successful strategy at this point.

Stout

Reaction score
Beach is a fine backup tackle. This is what backup tackles look like.

There are no backle tackles out there that are starter calibre unless you drafted a guy to develop and got lucky that he's ready to step up, which we did with Chritian Jones, he's just not ready yet.

The Lions are SB contenders and their backup behind Sewell is some guy called Colby Sorsdal. The Niners backup swing tackle is Jaylon Moore. The Chiefs backup RT is a UDFA rookie from Marshall called Ethan Driskell.

I don't know what people expect. We're actually above average at tackle depth compared to most teams. The Rams wish they had a guy like Beachum on the roster.
Ooh, what's a backle tackle? :D

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
There are a lot of veteran OTs on the street right now, but not sure if the Cards are going to bring in a big name to fill what might be a short-term void. And the top veteran guys are all coming off of injuries or still recovering (Humphries, Leno, Bakhtiari).

BritCard

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There are a lot of veteran OTs on the street right now, but not sure if the Cards are going to bring in a big name to fill what might be a short-term void. And the top veteran guys are all coming off of injuries or still recovering (Humphries, Leno, Bakhtiari).

Watch us bring Dennis Daley back...

Stout

Reaction score

If they don't make a move, Monti will have soured for me. I don't mean an earth-shaking move, but they have to address the lack of depth at OT. We MUST bring in another OT. It would be criminally unambitious not to.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Josh Weinfuss
@joshweinfuss
·
18m

Cardinals RT Jonah Williams will be going on IR with a right knee injury, coach Jonathan Gannon said today.No timetable for Williams’ return, Gannon said.

Gannon said he wasn’t sure yet if surgery would be needed for Williams.
sounds to me like an MCL issue -- which depending on severity can be a 4-6-8 week injury and typically heal without surgery

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
If they don't make a move, Monti will have soured for me. I don't mean an earth-shaking move, but they have to address the lack of depth at OT. We MUST bring in another OT. It would be criminally unambitious not to.
I mean they have to do something - we have no true backup OT on the roster. The only true OT on the practice squad appears to be Jackson Barton, who pretty much has zero real NFL game experience. I'm not expecting a big name, especially if they feel like Williams won't be out significantly longer than 4 weeks or end up biting time before bringing DJ Humphries back, but we need to do SOMETHING!

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean they have to do something - we have no true backup OT on the roster. The only true OT on the practice squad appears to be Jackson Barton, who pretty much has zero real NFL game experience. I'm not expecting a big name, especially if they feel like Williams won't be out significantly longer than 4 weeks or end up biting time before bringing DJ Humphries back, but we need to do SOMETHING!
Diamond in the rough

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Diamond in the rough
I mean all that's really out there are 30-somethings in decline and/or battling injuries or 20-somthing never has beens. If we don't go for one of the 30-somethings to fill a temporary hole, there really isn't a lot out that's a significantly better option than bringing Dennis Daley back.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone expecting DJ back this year is misguided. He tore his ACL at the tail end of the season and OL/DL takes longer to comeback due to the stress they put in their knees on every play.

Remember Taylor Lewan? He was 29, tore his 5 games into the 2020 season, came back 4 games into the 2021 season and was a shell of his former self. He's retired now and he admitted rushing coming back. DJ is 30, he's not playing this year.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Its football. So it is what it is.

However, it was against Jonah Williams that BJ got hurt. Now Jonah is out for a while. Tough.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Gambo said that he saw tweet from his buddy Jurecki that Williams will need arthroscopic surgery on his knee. We shall see if this is accurate

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Gambo said that he saw tweet from his buddy Jurecki that Williams will need arthroscopic surgery on his knee. We shall see if this is accurate
So done for the year?

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A few of us alarmed during the offseason were told all offseason (1) to pipe down because the offseason wasn’t over yet abd we had so much cap space; and (2) that we signed what we needed to be competitive.

Well, off-season is over. Games now count. We are sitting on a ton of cap space. And it doesn’t look like Ossi set up the defense to be any better than season (thus far - which is all we can comment upon). And it’s been ONE GAME and you’re complaining about this already? Lol. One game.

Maybe direct your ire at Ossi for the defense and not random posters who thus far seem correct in predicting that what Ossi built was going to be subpar.

Whoa is me! On a messageboard, some people disagreed with me vociferously! And now I get to say I WAS RIGHT!...

Who cares, my man. I have exactly ZERO ire for Cheese, or Ossi, or you. I'm just looking to chill. I ain't complaining, but I am worried that Cheese shtick for the year is going to run out of steam. I've read the same thing on multiple threads today already.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If our depth continues to be exposed? Why shouldn’t it be considering the amount of crap thrown at anyone who dared question our depth in the offseason? You didn’t have a problem when that repeatedly happened, so to bash me now seems rather hypocritical.

Which is totally expected.

It ain’t my fault our depth is weak AND we have very few stars. But it’s always easier for some here to take out their frustration on posters instead of the team.
You should ABSOLUTELY use this forum to comment on your frustrations. But the snarky, low level sarcasm, same line, repeated in multiple threads just today alone is weak sauce. Frankly, I think you're better than that. Love your stuff, my man.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser