Jonah Williams status?

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So, can I ask a question without being accused of being snarky?

With all the talk of how much Monti built the belly of the team with really good depth, exactly what positions do people think we have this great depth at?

Let's see, snarky:

adjective​

1. Rudely sarcastic or disrespectful; snide.
  2. Irritable or short-tempered; irascible.
  3. Snide and sarcastic; usually out of irritation, often humorously.
Nope, doesn't sound snarky to me. Ask away.
:D:thumbup:

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I don't think Penning was good in college, he just stood out in a poor league. But he's also starting at RT for the Saints at the moment so I don't see them letting him go.

There is nobody and I don't think they will bring anyone in. Jones should be back by game 5. They added Heck to the PS as a "Oh crap" option until then.

Hard to bring tackles in now in a scheme that runs a variety of run schemes. I think they will stick with the people in the building that have been running it all offseason.
Just for comparison, here’s what the NFL evaluators said about him

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

With all the talk of how much Monti built the belly of the team with really good depth, exactly what positions do people think we have this great depth at?
My 2 cents. Iol, idl, db, Ilb.

Our OT depth was Beach...but dude didn't perform to his normal abilities when called upon...age has caught him perhaps.
But those other positions our depth is good. Not filled with great players but there shouldn't be a huge drop in performance from one guy to the next.

But then Hernandez goes out and produces a pff grade in the 80's..... so I dunno...never expected him to top 72

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

IOL
RB
QB
WR
DT (I think we have a nice four-deep rotation)
CB
S

I don't know about "great", but I feel like we're at least league-average for depth that these positions.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IOL
RB
QB
WR
CB
S

I don't know about "great", but I feel like we're at least league-average for depth that these positions.
Great depth?

We don't have great depth anywhere - because that means you have a starter sitting on the bench. We don't have a single one of those that I see - ok maybe Trey Benson - but that is it.

DT is crap, IOL is crap depth, QB is crap depth, WR is ok, CB is maybe ok, RB is ok, S is just Rabbit

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
My 2 cents. Iol, idl, db, Ilb.

Our OT depth was Beach...but dude didn't perform to his normal abilities when called upon...age has caught him perhaps.
But those other positions our depth is good. Not filled with great players but there shouldn't be a huge drop in performance from one guy to the next.

But then Hernandez goes out and produces a pff grade in the 80's..... so I dunno...never expected him to top 72
IDL? Brother, maybe we have depth but we still need starters. If those are our starters then there's not real depth.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IOL
RB
QB
WR
CB
S

QB? Tune was an abomination last year.

WR: if one of our starters goes down, Zach Pascal’s worthless ass gets playing time. That’s not good depth, IMO.

CB? Quantity doesn’t equal quality.

RB, IOL I see. Interior D-line maybe I can see an argument for but it’s really just a bunch of… guys.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There is nobody they can bring in for at least better tackle depth. How curious of you to post that.

Well yeah. Guys like Donovan Smith, Charles Leno or Cam Fleming, who are all 32, aren't going to schlep across the states to sit on a PS for vet min and sweat their ass off practicing and learning a playbook on the off chance they might get some reps in the next few weeks if Beach or Paris get hurt, just to get cut when Jones or Williams returns. That's just unrealistic. These guys are multimillionaires on the edge or retirement, who even if in shape, would rather wait and see if a permanent starting job comes up.

The guys that will do that are guys like Charlie Heck, Dennis Daley or Prince Tega Wanogho who were already out of the league at 26 (or 28 in Daley's case).

BritCard

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

You thought our tackle depth was bad when it's one of the better ones in the league. Maybe you have unrealistic expectations of depth?

For comparison here's some dudes that are next man up for the Chiefs.

Mike Callendo
Hunter Nourzad
Ethan Drickell
Malik Herring
Jack Cochrane
Cam Jones
Nazeeh Johnson
Joshua Williams
Chamarri Conner
Jaden Hicks

Last edited:

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Great depth?

We don't have great depth anywhere - because that means you have a starter sitting on the bench. We don't have a single one of those that I see - ok maybe Trey Benson - but that is it.

DT is crap, IOL is crap depth, QB is crap depth, WR is ok, CB is maybe ok, RB is ok, S is just Rabbit
You have a very unrealistic view on depth in the NFL IMO.
S has good depth Rabbit has future star potential, but that doesn't mean the rest couldn't be potential average NFL starters.
Having Gaines and Adams as back-ups on the IOL is a rare luxury.
DT actually has good depth IMO, but lacks the high end talent.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have a very unrealistic view on depth in the NFL IMO.
S has good depth Rabbit has future star potential, but that doesn't mean the rest couldn't be potential average NFL starters.
Having Gaines and Adams as back-ups on the IOL is a rare luxury.
DT actually has good depth IMO, but lacks the high end talent.
What have you seen on the field that suggests Gaines and Adams are “rare luxuries”? I understand being optimistic about those guys, but “rare luxuries” suggest you’ve actually seen something in a live game to make you believe that.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What have you seen on the field that suggests Gaines and Adams are “rare luxuries”? I understand being optimistic about those guys, but “rare luxuries” suggest you’ve actually seen something in a live game to make you believe that.
I didn't really see anything from either in the preseason that said they are ready to play extensively.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Super unfortunate- 1 game in and already down 3 starters:
-BJ
-Robinson
-now Williams

Do we need to sacrifice a chicken or something and dance around like wildlings to break this curse?
At least Robinson and Zay should be back week 5 and 6 respectively. Hopefully Williams is there with Zay.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You beat me to the punch. Gaines hasn't even really started being anything because of injuries, and Adams is a nothing rook at this point. They are depth, but they cannot be named anything better than that. Luxury depth is like saying my broken down old backup minivan that has over 130,000 miles and makes more noise than a squealing hooker is a luxury backup vehicle.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I gotta disagree on Adams. He was only drafted because of his potential at guard. He was horrid at tackle.
Then who are we playing at OT if one of our starters goes down? Colon? We might end up elevating the new guy at a point where whoever we drop down won’t be at risk of being claimed and it will be moot.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We all need to keep in mind that the current roster is nowhere near the final version that MOJG envision. Last year this team was thoroughly gutted, and we had practice squad talent starting in many positions. In many ways, this year starts the rebuild. At the very best, we’re a borderline playoff team that won’t last long in the playoffs. The MOJG goal has always been to see sustained improvement and to build
a championship caliber team through solid drafts, solid coaching, solid player development, and putting an emphasis on certain positions over others. And yes, to sprinkle in some free agents to augment. But, IMHO, I don’t think we’ll see a big splash FA signing anytime soon.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Absolutely nothing. Because this team doesn't play units on pre-season and it's impossible to evaluate O-line play unless you look at it as a unit. I haven't seen anything to suggest that they are starting material. And I have seen nothing to suggest that they are not.

What we do know is that both are 3rd rounders and drafted there for their potential.
We do know that Gaines early in TC was ahead of Brown in the starting 5, which would indicate that he is close to replace a solid to above average starter. Gaines was by far the best playing overall O-line in the pre-season.

We know that Adams came in as an excellent run blockers, who needed development in pass-blocking and played out of position in his senior year which hurt his draft stock.
We know that Adams struggled in pass-pro on an island against Saints' 1st string in pre-season.
We know that Adams' pff run blocking grade graded as a pro-bowl guard in the pre-season - AND yes I know mostly against back-ups.

My point was that given the famine of O-Line talent in the league, having two IOL with that potential is rare. I guesssing 25% of teams would be forced to play one of them as a starter. I'm guessing the vast majority of teams would have a fringe starter ahead of them, while they develop and slide into the starting line-up by mid-end season (very typical for 3rd-4th rounders on the IOL). Some teams will have a player with potential AND not being forced to move them into the starting line-up. Hardly any have two players like this.