Jones is second installment on JJ trade

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I would put Joe up a couple notches as well. Definitely above Redd and Rip who both have very 1 dimensional games. Possibly above Francis as well, mostly because I hate the guy.

I agree with Eric that you have to put Kobe at #1. And what exactly has Wade and Allen done that Tmac hasn't already? While we are talking about Tmac, if you call him a SG how do you not call LBJ a shooting guard?

Vince is going to have to do more than 3 good months in NJ to make up for the last few years in Toronto to get that high of a nodd.

Hmm, so I guess the people on the list aren't bad - but the order sucks :p

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Im a little worried about this upcoming season but we have both a 3.9 exception and either Diaw or Barbosa one of whom should at least be effective in spot minutes. After that Colangelo will find some way to acquire say, Shaun Livingston or Sebastian Telfair...;)

I would stop short of giving my left arm to see the Suns get their hands on Livingston. That guy is going to be a superstar when he develops.

Also, as for this trade (and the off-season in a whole), here's my take..

Did the Suns lose some talented scorers? Absolutely..

Are they going to be a team that dazzles the NBA with 128-124 wins every night after losing Johnson and Richardson?? Probably not..

Yes, they did get older, and lost some scoring touch.

However, without knowing exactly what James Jones, Boris Diaw and even to a degree, Raja Bell, bring to the table, I'll give the F.O. the benefit of the doubt.

Facts are, with the additions of Bell, Brian Grant and Kurt Thomas, the team improved leaps and bounds defensively.

With the additions of Bell, Diaw, Padgett, Jones, Grant and Thomas, they're going to have depth they didn't have last year. Also, like Joe when he came to Phoenix, I think the Suns have a few diamonds in the rough in Diaw and Jones. With proper seasoning and the right coaching, both could turn out to be real steals. I am a huge fan of Diaw's defense, and Jones's ability to shoot the rock while being able to play multiple positions.

Call this weird.. I think the Suns aren't a 62 win team anymore, but they're better built to beat the Spurs and to take that next step. Instead of going the Sacramento/Dallas route and trying to hang on to the same philosphy for many years, they decided it hasn't worked in the past, and decided to go the San Antonio/Detroit route. We'll see in the end if it works, but I know at least one Suns fan who has confidence. Me.

Last edited:

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
If they're going to put Francis on that list, why not Marbury? :shrug:

Bleh.. I was going to post a long ass post, but I think one per thread is my limit :biglaugh:

Anyhow, they are the same style of player, so I'd certainly put both in the list.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If they're going to put Francis on that list, why not Marbury?

Because Marbury has been in the league's top 5 for assists every single year. Francis has never been at Marbury's level as a PG.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
elindholm said:
If they're going to put Francis on that list, why not Marbury?

Because Marbury has been in the league's top 5 for assists every single year. Francis has never been at Marbury's level as a PG.

So now you think the media IS considering him a point guard? Since when has THAT happened? :cool:

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Snake said:
Bleh.. I was going to post a long ass post, but I think one per thread is my limit :biglaugh:

Anyhow, they are the same style of player, so I'd certainly put both in the list.
As SG's, I'm not sure I'd include either on my top ten.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
So now you think the media IS considering him a point guard? Since when has THAT happened?

It's possible that not everyone in the media is ******** on this issue. Criticize Marbury's game all you like, but he is a PG, and a darn good one by any objective measure.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
elindholm said:
So now you think the media IS considering him a point guard? Since when has THAT happened?

It's possible that not everyone in the media is ******** on this issue. Criticize Marbury's game all you like, but he is a PG, and a darn good one by any objective measure.

Did you really take my post THAT seriously? :confused:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Did you really take my post THAT seriously?

No, I didn't mean that you were criticizing Marbury. Your point that many smartasses in the media call him "a shooting guard in a point guard's body" is correct -- lots of people do say that. But they're wrong, and maybe we've happened to stumble upon one writer who actually gets it.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
elindholm said:

Except for winning.

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not the only person on this board that suggests the problem is that GM's and coaches don't understand what Marbury is about. He's great at breaking down his man, getting to the basket and kicking the ball out to shooters when the defense collapses on him. Surround him with good catch and shoot guys and you've got a very good half court offense.

The problem is that everyone keeps trying to turn him into a classic pass first and push the ball PG. Marbury is not good in the open court and unless he takes a pull up three, will always wait for his teammates to get into position. So except for a terrible tendency to start before his teammate can set his feet for the pick, he's quite good at what he does. Give him a bunch of catch and shoot guys and he'll rack up a huge number of assists.

It would never happen, but the team he'd be perfect on is the Sonics. By contrast, I don't see the Knicks being a good fit at all.

PrimeTime

Rookie
Reaction score
I just wanted to say how impressed I am with the Suns front office. The way they have managed this team under all the stress, surprises, and accusations has been remarkable. I can say that I am proud of their professionalism, and their commitment to puting a winning product out there for the fans.

They were placed in a horrible situation that could have set the franchise back for a while, but they didn't sit hide or sat by idle. They put their heads together and decided to attack the problem head on. Going forward, everyone knew the Suns problem areas: defense, rebounding, depth. The question was, could the Suns address those areas and still be able to play their style of game. Not only have they filled in the holes, but they filled them in with high-character, win-first guys. The organization will be well represented on and off the court, something a lot of other teams can't say.

Another thing that I wanted to commend them on is how much they are listening to the players. Amare asked for Kurt Thomas- done. Nash wanted Raja Bell- Raja was signed. Raja recommended James Jones- the Suns went out and got him. How cool is that? What other NBA Franchise has done something like that?

I know more than ever, that this team will be just fine. We may not have the best starting line-up, but when all is said and done, we just may have the best team. And that is how championships are won.

Well done, Suns

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I agree with george about Jay Williams, I think he could slowly work his way back, he would be what we need to replace nash in the future.

I also think and it looks like the only one here, that thinks the suns will actually win more games this year then last year. Because we will be more consistant with a better defense. Not quite as exciting but better none the less. :thumbup:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
PrimeTime said:
Another thing that I wanted to commend them on is how much they are listening to the players. Amare asked for Kurt Thomas- done. Nash wanted Raja Bell- Raja was signed. Raja recommended James Jones- the Suns went out and got him. How cool is that? What other NBA Franchise has done something like that?

It's been well documented that Amare Stoudemire asked for Kurt Thomas, but to be fair the Phoenix Suns had supposedly been trying to acquire him for a few years. I'm also not sure it's ever been confirmed that Steve Nash and Raja Bell actually suggested anyone to the Phoenix Suns.

One more thing... listening to the players suggestions only works if you are paying attention to the right players. The New Jersey Nets made the mistake of listening to Jason Kidd's personnel suggestions too many times, and it cost them a fortune and hurt the team.

I'm eager to see how these new guys and this particular group of players plays together. I have high hopes.

Joe Mama

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Mid season will clear up how the Magic will utilize Diener, I still see him as the perfect replacement.

Sure, okay, fine. But remember, the Suns have had one of the league's premier PGs for nearly 20 years running now, since Kevin Johnson was acquired. Is Diener really going to extend that legacy? I doubt it -- if he's that good, the Magic won't let him go.

I remember a little known player out of Iowa State being drafted by the Suns in the second round that hung around the league for long time, Jeff Hornacek. I see Diener in the same light as Horny, he could have just as successful career. The Suns have not won a championship with any of the premier point guards that they have had, maybe the legacy of not winning a championship could be overcome with second tier point guard.

Last edited:

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
I remember a little known player out of Iowa State being drafted by the Suns in the second round that hung around the league for long time, Jeff Hornacek. I see Diener in the same light as Horny, he could have just as successful career. The Suns have not won a championship with any of the premier point guards that they have had, maybe the legacy of not winning a championship could be overcome with second tier point guard.

Not to mention Nash came from Santa Clara. He was a fairly high pick, but he wasn't expected to be the PG that he is today considering the school and conference he came from.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
coloradosun said:

RedStripe27 said:
Not to mention Nash came from Santa Clara. He was a fairly high pick, but he wasn't expected to be the PG that he is today considering the school and conference he came from.

you guys seem to be missing Eric's point. That is that if Denier is that good it's very unlikely Orlando will let him go cheaply. Jeff Hornacek was the main component going to Philadelphia in the Charles Barkley trade. Steve Nash was traded for Dallas' lottery draft pick.

What would it take to get Denier if the Orlando Magic will even let him go?

Joe

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
coloradosun said:

How many championships did we win with horny? wow the same amount! :p

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake