Josh Gordon Done

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
It’s not weird at all. Drug addicts rarely die of natural causes.
dude, it’s an odd and morbid thing to say. Do you sit outside McDonalds and point at obese people saying “how long do you think before they die?”

regardless of the person or situation, it’s weird to speculate when you think someone will die

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Not that I agree with his point, but how is that equating them with being evil?
Eh, maybe I'm overdramatizing it all, but I definitely read it as "addicts" with some kind of sneer like he's better than them. It's the overall tone of the thread.

I personally feel addicts should be helped, not jeered at and told they're going to an early grave.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Frankly the whole policy is stupid when it comes to drug tests (not talking PED tests). According to former players many, if not the majority of players smoke pot and that's not the end of it.

The drug testing policy is setup so you don't get caught as long as you as you abstain long enough during the annual window. The problem is the window large enough in the off season that some play the odds instead of playing it safe. It's funny the testing is only done in the off season but in season everything is fair game, no tests. But if you do get popped during the annual then all bets are off and you get randoms and you either stay totally clean or end up in the Gordon cycle.

IMO the NFL has no business what the players are quietly doing in their personal lives. I think that individual teams should have that option and be at their discretion on whether they are released/suspended/etc, but the CBA makes it so the policies apply universally so that can't happen, and honestly not a single team would do piss tests if it was optional because many players would opt for a team that didn't when a FA.

People lamenting about weed addicts dying are overlooking that the team docs are stuffing players full of oxy and overlooking heavy alcohol intake in lieu of a few tokes if the player prefers a more holistic approach. There are plenty of former players who have documented the absurdity and the dangers of the policy when it comes to pot.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Frankly the whole policy is stupid when it comes to drug tests (not talking PED tests). According to former players many, if not the majority of players smoke pot and that's not the end of it.

The drug testing policy is setup so you don't get caught as long as you as you abstain long enough during the annual window. The problem is the window large enough in the off season that some play the odds instead of playing it safe. It's funny the testing is only done in the off season but in season everything is fair game, no tests. But if you do get popped during the annual then all bets are off and you get randoms and you either stay totally clean or end up in the Gordon cycle.

IMO the NFL has no business what the players are quietly doing in their personal lives. I think that individual teams should have that option and be at their discretion on whether they are released/suspended/etc, but the CBA makes it so the policies apply universally so that can't happen, and honestly not a single team would do piss tests if it was optional because many players would opt for a team that didn't when a FA.

People lamenting about weed addicts dying are overlooking that the team docs are stuffing players full of oxy and overlooking heavy alcohol intake in lieu of a few tokes if the player prefers a more holistic approach. There are plenty of former players who have documented the absurdity and the dangers of the policy when it comes to pot.
Seems pretty simple to me. If you get caught once just stop doing it at least until your career is either over or you are no longer on the drug program. That being said every player that plays in the NFL has agreed to follow the rules and when they don't that is on them.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Seems pretty simple to me. If you get caught once just stop doing it at least until your career is either over or you are no longer on the drug program. That being said every player that plays in the NFL has agreed to follow the rules and when they don't that is on them.

Rules are hard to buy into that are illogical, let alone when everyone knows they are a charade. One could argue someone is engaging in illegal conduct but its legal in around half of the markets. So how illogical does it become that there is a different protocol in place for the person who smokes pots vs the guy who drinks a case of beer vs the guy who pops a ton of pills because he has a doctor feel-good. I think anyone whose been around the block knows that generally speaking one of those is pretty benign and the others have some pretty serious health consquences.

If a player is screwing up, whether from drink, drugs or other misconduct there are protocols to deal with that. Clearly the Seahawks didn't have a problem with Gordon or he would have been released before getting pinched by the league.

DumboD

Rookie
Reaction score
"There's something going on behind the scenes here. If Gordon was still capable of being a dominant receiver or even a good one, the Patriots would not have let him go so easily. They've stuck by him for quite awhile, so why now?"

That's from one of my earlier posts this season when some were arguing that we should've signed Gordon. I imagine the Patriots monitor players closely who have had a drug suspension in the past and may have heard that Gordon was headed for trouble. So today's announcement of an indefinite suspension again was hardly shocking. Perhaps the Seahawks were one team that was satisfied having him for only part of the season if he got in trouble again. And he did contribute, but not significantly, to the Seahawks who are having a better than expected season. But he certainly. wasn't the Josh Gordon of old. And that is also another reason that Gordon may not be on an NFL field again. He's not a high risk-big reward kind of player anymore. In the long run, maybe he'll be better off solving his drug problems without the NFL spotlight and it's actual a blessing in disguise for him.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

God forbid we have rules or laws in this country! If they guy wanted to keep his job & wanted to play bad enough, he would abstain from his activities. Defending this idiot that has swung & missed at least 8 times now is pure lunacy.

And yes any employer has the right to have rules & if you don’t follow them you’re no longer employed. 8 times bro, 8 times!!! There’s no defending him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What else did he do?

Enough that coming out of HS was already in a legal situation where he was not allowed to leave the state of Texas, that's why he went to Baylor it was the best football school in Texas that offered him a scholarship knowing he wouldn't be allowed to play road games. I have a VERY hard time believing an 18 year old gets in that situation just from smoking pot.

He admitted he did more, he admitted he regularly played NFL games under the influence of drugs, yes pot was his clear drug of choice but he used all sorts of other things.
-------------------------------------

At Lamar, Gordon said he joined a gang, Six Deuce Harvard Park Brim Blood, which involved carrying and shooting a gun — never “maliciously,” he said — stealing cars, fighting, scamming businesses with counterfeit money, and dealing drugs.

Gordon said he sold drugs, mainly marijuana, to “feed” himself. He said he smoked marijuana every day and drank vodka from Minute Maid bottles during class. He said he also started drinking codeine syrup mixed with soda his junior year and experimented with Xanax, hydrocodone, and oxycodone at nearly every opportunity. Before football games, Gordon said he would chug Mad Dog 20-20, flavored fortified wine, to gauge whether he could play drunk.

Gordon told GQ his usage “became the norm” in high school and said it was “on an accelerated pace” by the time he turned 20 years old.

College (Baylor): Gordon was recruited by several Div. I programs, but chose Baylor because his supervised probation following a felony credit card theft when he was 17 years old prevented him from living outside the state of Texas. Gordon was required to return home to Houston once a month for drug tests and he said he only passed because his diluted samples were never flagged.

---------------------

based on what I've read it would seem his alcohol use is probably his biggest risk, not pot, but he's used stuff heavier than pot so we have no idea what he was caught using this time beyond the PED's.

Very sad story.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
He’s technically been in the nfl since 2012 and has only made $5.4 mil in his career. A WR of his talent should be on the backend of a contract that pays $18mil/year by now.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
DWeed part II. HOF talent, productive seasons, chose weed over the NFL. Move on.

Not really. Gordon at least tried to get back into the NFL and played on minimum contracts. D-Wash quit football when he found out that he would only be paid league minimum.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Addiction is a serious problem. It's a shame that such a talent can't shake his demons. I truly feel sorry for Gordon who most likely will never play in the NFL again. It's a long shot but I hope he can eventually turn his life around.

As for the Seahawks losing a weapon before the playoffs. Ha ha!!!

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

God forbid we have rules or laws in this country! If they guy wanted to keep his job & wanted to play bad enough, he would abstain from his activities. Defending this idiot that has swung & missed at least 8 times now is pure lunacy.

And yes any employer has the right to have rules & if you don’t follow them you’re no longer employed. 8 times bro, 8 times!!! There’s no defending him.
If only we held politicians to this standard, but that is OT.

His job says you cannot partake so if he does he gets punnished.

Pretty cut and dry.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Reaction score
As for the Seahawks losing a weapon before the playoffs. Ha ha!!!

While he can definitely be described as a potential weapon (made a nice catch of a bomb from Wilson this week for a long completion), he only had 7 catches in 5 games....but a few of those were clutch 3rd down catches in traffic.

I had just hoped he had put all his demons behind him....but alas no.