Josh Rosen 2018 Film Analysis

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score
Basically Rosen made a lot of small mistakes, but Rosen can make some great throws.

Not a horrible quarterback and if he had a better oline, playmakers, and coaching he can be really good.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
He really focused on the things Rosen did poorly and also pointed out deficiencies in the 2018 play calling Oline and receivers. As many others have stated here, Rosen was placed in just about the worse situation you could place a rookie QB. The bottom line was Rosen can develop into a very good NFL QB given the proper coaching, a better Oline and better play calling.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score
He said he is a believer in Rosen if he makes those fixes and gets better support.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Basically Rosen made a lot of small mistakes, but Rosen can make some great throws.

Not a horrible quarterback and if he had a better oline, playmakers, and coaching he can be really good.
Trying to evaluate Murray and Rosen is like trying to hit a moving dartboard blindfolded.

Do we have any input (or at least clues) that can tell us whether Rosen can fix his weaknesses and what kind of QB he'll be in years 2,3 & higher?

Do QB's improve quickly and significantly under KK?

My point - are Murray's and Rosen's strengths and weaknesses pretty much etched in stone? Or is it all part of a dynamic where the 2 improve - albeit at varying rates of speed?

One other variable - the importance of leadership skills and (despite all the usual overly positive spin) how each QB relates to (& is accepted by) his teammates. We don't know this yet.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Very fair assessment. Rosen has a lot to learn about the position in the NFL, but his problems aren’t completely unfixable. Dude still has a great arm. He needs coaching like any rookie.

BTW - shouldn’t the Jets and Bills be eager to rid of their QBs after somewhat similar seasons?

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score
Very fair assessment. Rosen has a lot to learn about the position in the NFL, but his problems aren’t completely unfixable. Dude still has a great arm. He needs coaching like any rookie.

BTW - shouldn’t the Jets and Bills be eager to rid of their QBs after somewhat similar seasons?

Not really considering both of them showed flashes of brilliance last season. Their fans bases love their young QBs.

Darnold had 4 games with a QB rating over 100.
Josh Allen had 2 games.
Rosen - 0 games.

Allen would be 6-5 as a starter if Charles Clay holds on to a wide open touchdown @ Miami.

Darnold had two stand out games where he went toe-to-toe in shootouts against Andrew Luck and Aaron Rodgers.

TJ

Reaction score
Not really considering both of them showed flashes of brilliance last season. Their fans bases love their young QBs.

Josh Allen had 2 games.
Rosen - 0 games.

Allen would be 6-5 as a starter if Charles Clay holds on to a wide open touchdown @ Miami.

Darnold had two stand out games where he went toe-to-toe in shootouts against Andrew Luck and Aaron Rodgers.

Rosen beat Rodgers head-to-head at Lambeau.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Josh Allen had 2 games.
Rosen - 0 games.

he was terrible, plain and simple, one of the worst rookie season of a qb drafted in the top 10 in the last 20 years

its funny cause when they changed the coordinator they tried to help him with many screen passes and then he got worse
if they want to get something in return they have to trade him now

Reaction score
he was terrible, plain and simple, one of the worst rookie season of a qb drafted in the top 10 in the last 20 years

its funny cause when they changed the coordinator they tried to help him with many screen passes and then he got worse

So are you saying it was worse than Goffs?

TJ

Reaction score

Leftwich did nothing to help Rosen. In the end, it was just McCoy’s playbook with a neophyte OC picking the plays out of it.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Leftwich did nothing to help Rosen. In the end, it was just McCoy’s playbook with a neophyte OC picking the plays out of it.

Agreed but I like Leftwich and he probably helped Rosen with the mental aspect of the situation. Leftwich always remained positive.

However (to your point), a horrible offense (McCoy) and a guy who has never called plays before at any level is not a good combination.

That is like taking a first year graduate from college and making them the CEO of a company.

I fully expect Leftwich to develop over time and become a great coach.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would have loved the analysis of the first three games with Bradford, so we can compare how McCoy and Wilks destroy an 8 year vet vs destroying a rookie

TJ

Reaction score
I would have loved the analysis of the first three games with Bradford, so we can compare how McCoy and Wilks destroy an 8 year vet vs destroying a rookie
Bradford was on pace for his worst season of his NFL career.

Also, Fitz, DJ, Gresham and others on offense were at or near their worst seasons of their careers. Rosen has many things to fix, but it wasn’t happening with the 2018 coaching staff.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

So you didn't watch the podcast?

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score
Rosen beat Rodgers head-to-head at Lambeau.

Please you really can’t compare.

Rosen completed 42% of his passes for only 149 yards, and 0 TDs. I’ll give credit to Rosen for not throwing any INTs though.

Darnold’s game against Green Bay, he competed 68% of his passes, for 341 yards and 3 TDs with 0 INTs.

TJ

Reaction score
Please you really can’t compare.

Rosen completed 42% of his passes for only 149 yards, and 0 TDs. I’ll give credit to Rosen for not throwing any INTs though.

Darnold’s game against Green Bay, he competed 68% of his passes, for 341 yards and 3 TDs with 0 INTs.

Good for Sam. I frankly don’t care, to be honest, because that’s not the point. The bottom line is him, Rosen and Allen all had typical, comparable rookie seasons.

If you believe that Sam will develop, you should also believe in Rosen developing because both are in need of fine tuning and are at the same level, more or less. Both are getting offensive-minded head coaches, so in reality, both should show marked improvement. The main difference is the players around Rosen are far more deficient than Darnold.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score
Good for Sam. I frankly don’t care, to be honest, because that’s not the point. The bottom line is him, Rosen and Allen all had typical, comparable rookie seasons.

If you believe that Sam will develop, you should also believe in Rosen developing because both are in need of fine tuning and are at the same level, more or less. Both are getting offensive-minded head coaches, so in reality, both should show marked improvement. The main difference is the players around Rosen are far more deficient than Darnold.

The Jets wanted Kingsbury...