Jurecki’s Latest Observations

Jim O

Reaction score
Jurecki’s Observations

You must be registered for see images

As a local radio personality, the opinions expressed in Mike Jurecki’s columns are not necessarily those shared by the Arizona Cardinals

Over the last two weeks, the Arizona Cardinals have completed their first voluntary mini camps. Going back to the first camp, with an entirely new coaching staff, there was more of an upbeat tempo. It was very physical, even though they weren’t practicing with pads on. Clearly it could have been a case where everyone was trying to impress each other, especially when the new head coach implemented a stern approach. The message that Denny Green is trying to incorporate is that he expects players to work hard on the practice field which he feels will transcend to game day.

More...

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Nice for Jurecki to go way out on a limb with all his predictions in this column.

:rolleyes:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Nice for Jurecki to go way out on a limb with all his predictions in this column.

:rolleyes:

If Jurecki says it, you'd better pay attention. He works his contacts hard and he's got some good ones.

He tells you a lot too, on his radio show, if you listen. Often he doesn't cite his source, probably because he may not be free to do so, but he gives us lots of Cards news nobody else does.

He was at the Cards camp all weekend, working, and I doubt that he was required to give up his days off.

Want to know how many TV Sports reporters were there Saturday and Sunday? ZERO.

Kent Somers showed up. Darren Urban was there. Mike Jurecki and Gino (from KTAR radio) represented the sum total of the radio media segment. The first minicamp the previous weekend brought out Bob Kemp (radio) too on a Saturday.

And people, that's the way it goes all the time.

Kent, Darren, Mike, and Gino. Somers and Urban damned near sleep there.

Lars the Red

aka Thor, God of Thunder
Reaction score
You are correct, K9, that really was a lame article. The past draft results were really the only interesting part. Mike's friendship with Mac is starting to get in the way of his ability to cover the Cards. He needs to let it go and get with the current program.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Mj

is also good for a bit of misinformation periodically instead of being patient.
It causes alot of anxiety among the fans. LOL!

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm

a bit confused about the Mac reference also?
I think M.J. jumps the gun once in awhile, but most times, he's on thr right page. jmho.

Lars the Red

aka Thor, God of Thunder
Reaction score
Jim Omohundro said:
What are you talking about? :shrug: What does Coach Mac have to do with this article?
You don't find Mike's analogy of the camps and his support of Mac to creep into his broadcasts or articles? You haven't heard him express on several occasions that the Cards problems were not coaching related? If we see some obvious improvement in this years team it will undoubtedly indicate that some of our problems were coaching related. I wonder if he will step up and admit to that if and when it happens.

This is an example of what I mean:

Although a lot of it was just bumps and bruises, the question remaining is what purpose does it serve to have the players beat on each other? That’s why a lot of them decided they weren’t going to work out in order to avoid a future injury.
This team has not been known as a physical team over the last several years. The new staff has made no bones that isn't going to be the case. It would seem obvious that is what the purpose of the drills was all about. Green has a rep of running tough camps. Mac didn't. The friendly, back slapping seems over and the business of football appears to be the focus. MJ himself has said on numerous occasions that he really liked Mac and hated to see him go. He had a great relationship with him and I'm sure it will take time to develop the same type with coach Green.

It just seems obvious to me that he doesn't give the ringing endorsements to Green's style that he did Mac's.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Key item is the draft history. The core of a successful team is it's 4th,5th, and 6th year players that they drafted. The Cards have 3. They have a long way to go.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listen people, Denny Green grossly violated the CBA in the first mini-camp and violated it again in the 2nd but not as much.

Jurecki tells the truth. Some of you just don't want to hear it.

We give it to you straight here. Pro management, contra management, as we see it.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jurecki hasn't been really wrong on anything since Wadsworth. He has worked hard at getting his status amongst the Cardinals coaches, front office people, and the players.

He is also the only really objective Cardinals journalist out there. Some of you just look for reasons not to like him.

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
If MJ wasn't reporting, I don't know if we would hear any Cardinals news during the offseason at all. Once in a while the rep throws out a Cardinal article, but compared to other NFL cities paper, we get nothing.

MJ tries and often adds his own thoughts to his reporting, and as long as you realize that, it's ok. Heck, there are 3 almost 4 Sports Radio stations in the Phoenix area and he's the only "Cardinal" reporter.

Every TV and Sports Radio station should have a "Cardinal" reporter. What's up with that. The rest of the local stations need to get on the ball.

Of course, ASFN, provides the best coverage with no budget!

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Listen people, Denny Green grossly violated the CBA in the first mini-camp and violated it again in the 2nd but not as much.

Jurecki tells the truth. Some of you just don't want to hear it.

We give it to you straight here. Pro management, contra management, as we see it.
How is he violating the CBA?

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
He is also the only really objective Cardinals journalist out there. Some of you just look for reasons not to like him.

Darren Urban is very consistant, very solid. Best reporter covering the team on a regular basis. I wish I could get the EV Trib delivered to my home.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

SHHHHHHHHHHHH!

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
agree wiz

He's consistent, gets his facts straight, and doesn't put a spin on anything, tries to keep it as up beat,but honest, as he can.
Jurecki jumped the gun on the latest Big and Bryant issues, if I'm not mistaken.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
How is he violating the CBA?

The CBA bans pads in minicamp, specifically to avoid two things, as I understand (both related) - contact drills and 11 on 11 drills.

Denny ran both, just without the pads. And I'm telling you, some players were upset and Denny backed off a lot in the 2nd minicamp.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
Yeah...and what's the CBA?

The "Collective Bargaining Agreement."

Ever since Jurecki got canned by KGME and hired by KDUS and the Cards, he's been much, much more accurate. It's true he used to use the "spaghetti" method of reporting. The last big miss of his that I remember was him reporting that after the Cards failed to sign Jeff Hartings, they would miss out on a lineman all together because Kendall was certain to resign with the Seahawks. Not even two hours later, Kendall signed here. That was his last big gaffe, and that was when he was still at KGME (now XTRA910).

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard it said that the amount of hitting was significantly beyond what was 'allowed' under the CBA. That same source also said that is of course a subjective judgement as to what constitutes to physical.

Somebody also suggested that an the CBA had an unintended consequence. The CBA says they can't wear pads until training camp, the result is no pads in mini camps. Actually quantifiing the allowable contact is difficult at best.

Also it isn't an issue under the CBA until sombebody complains or thinks it is a problem. Apparently this level of contact is not unusual, propably in the more successful teams. Winning cures everthing, including player complaints.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nidan said:
Apparently this level of contact is not unusual, propably in the more successful teams. Winning cures everthing, including player complaints.

Thats what I like to hear, and understand.

Violate denny ...VIOLATE!!

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
The CBA bans pads in minicamp, specifically to avoid two things, as I understand (both related) - contact drills and 11 on 11 drills.

Denny ran both, just without the pads. And I'm telling you, some players were upset and Denny backed off a lot in the 2nd minicamp.

Do you have to keep bringing this up?

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
Do you have to keep bringing this up?

Nope. It's over. But to not comment on it would have been lax reporting.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Jim Omohundro said:
The only thing that MJ is saying is that he doesn't see the point of running a non-padded practice as hard as they did. There is a reason that they had 18 guys standing around. You can't expect guys on both the OL and DL to hold up when they are going full tilt. The OL and DL were going one on one at full speed...without pads on. I don't care how tough you are...it will take its toll without pads on...especially in March/April.

Believe me, MJ did like Coach Mac as a person...we all did. However, everybody agrees that a change was needed. When he says it is sad that Mac is gone, he means it only on a personal level...not a football one.

There were a lot of fluke injuries. Pace already had something wrong with him. A WR hurt his heel etc. Going one on one without pads does not cause injuries. Players prefer to practice without pads. It's a treat to do it during the season. I think the Cards just had some bad luck and that is not anyone's fault. I just hope the bad luck lifts. It seems like Cards players get injured all the time - pads, no pads, regular season, pre-season. Bad luck!

Lars the Red

aka Thor, God of Thunder
Reaction score
Jim Omohundro said:
The only thing that MJ is saying is that he doesn't see the point of running a non-padded practice as hard as they did. There is a reason that they had 18 guys standing around. You can't expect guys on both the OL and DL to hold up when they are going full tilt. The OL and DL were going one on one at full speed...without pads on. I don't care how tough you are...it will take its toll without pads on...especially in March/April.

Believe me, MJ did like Coach Mac as a person...we all did. However, everybody agrees that a change was needed. When he says it is sad that Mac is gone, he means it only on a personal level...not a football one.
Jimmy, I'm not trying to be a pain, but MJ has said on several occasions on FTB that he didn't see coaching as being the problem for the Cards. By the accounts that Jo and others have put up, the amount of drills and 'coaching' during practice has gone up dramatically. The atmosphere is one of greater intensity, partly because of the attempt to make a good impression, but also because that appears to be the attitude of the new staff. Dexter Jackson commented on Mac's less than intense practices. Everyone and their dog has said Joe Greene was a favorite/great player, but lousy coach.

MJ and many other's in the area all seemed to really like Mac and wanted him to succeed. He still may be successful somewhere else, but only if he brings in a staff of assistants primarily to do the ass kicking along the lines of Vermeil. It appears that MJ still hasn't developed the relationship he would like with Green and seems less enthusiastic in his reports because of it. It would be difficult to be overly complimentary to how the new staff is doing things without seeming to kick the old one so that too may be a factor.

Just one guy's opinion, not necessarily fact.

OP
OP
Jim O

Jim O

Reaction score
vikesfan said:
There were a lot of fluke injuries. Pace already had something wrong with him. A WR hurt his heel etc. Going one on one without pads does not cause injuries. Players prefer to practice without pads. It's a treat to do it during the season. I think the Cards just had some bad luck and that is not anyone's fault. I just hope the bad luck lifts. It seems like Cards players get injured all the time - pads, no pads, regular season, pre-season. Bad luck!

My bad. I did not know that you were in attendance. :rolleyes: