Jurecki’s Latest Observations

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Jim Omohundro said:
My bad. I did not know that you were in attendance. :rolleyes:
What does attendance have to do with the facts I wrote in my response? How are my facts wrong? I don't have to be in attendance to know those facts that I pointed out. Prove me wrong instead of rolling your eyes.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
Yeah...and what's the CBA?

Collective bargaining agreement. It's essentially a contract between the players union and the NFL on a "code of conduct" for working as an NFL player.

That's why I was so concerned when this was first reported, violating the CBA is a big deal, you not only piss off your current players, it can get you in trouble with the NFL (fines, lost draft picks) and it can cost you future players who decide they don't want to sign with a coach who violates the CBA.

It is probably not a huge deal but Green has to be careful, there's a fine line from putting in a new level of accountability(which is GOOD) and running a camp that breaks the CBA(which is bad). If green keeps crossing it, he's going to cause problems.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
There were a lot of fluke injuries. Pace already had something wrong with him. A WR hurt his heel etc. Going one on one without pads does not cause injuries. Players prefer to practice without pads. It's a treat to do it during the season. I think the Cards just had some bad luck and that is not anyone's fault. I just hope the bad luck lifts. It seems like Cards players get injured all the time - pads, no pads, regular season, pre-season. Bad luck!

NO they like to run drills without pads, they don't like to do full contact 11 on 11 hitting without pads. If they did, the NFL would be played like rugby, without pads.

Pads can be used as a weapon of course but they're there to protect the players. It's in the CBA because it prevents injuries.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
NO they like to run drills without pads, they don't like to do full contact 11 on 11 hitting without pads. If they did, the NFL would be played like rugby, without pads.

Pads can be used as a weapon of course but they're there to protect the players. It's in the CBA because it prevents injuries.

Rugby players do it all the time they don't have more injuries then football players. Players practice without pads during the regular season and it's a treat. The practice is the same pads or no pads. The injuries were not caused by the pads. How did the guy who hurt his heel or his back not get hurt if he had pads on?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
Rugby players do it all the time they don't have more injuries then football players. Players practice without pads during the regular season and it's a treat. The practice is the same pads or no pads. The injuries were not caused by the pads. How did the guy who hurt his heel or his back not get hurt if he had pads on?
Dude, just stop yer bantering. You obviously have never played football because tackling a runningback running at you at full speed without pads would tear up your shoulder. Rugby and football incorporate different skills

pete

All Star
Reaction score
I look at it the other way. What is the point of doing a drill half speed just because you don't want someone to get hurt? Do you play at half speed?

Let me ask you this. If Green had gone into another group, a group that had previously had TOUGH training camps instead of Camp Cardinal, do you think there still would be 20 guys standing around on the sideline? Or do you think tough training camps send a message to players that they need to be in training camp shape 24/7/365 these days, if possible?

I think you are right about Green sending the players a message. He probably also wanted to get a feel of which ones would put out for him so he could use that in determining where they need help in the draft. As a fan, I am dissapointed that Big didn't show up and put out for his new coach. He didn't show up for either minicamp, right? And is it true that he has also did not participate in the last 2 off season workout programs? If the answer to both of those is yes, then I really have to question if Big wants to be the absolute ass kicker that he has the potential to be or is he just content to show up and pick up his game checks every week of the season?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vikesfan said:

Rugby players don't weigh 350 pounds or run 4.5 40's at 230 and hit liek a mack truck.

"When compared with other sports, injury rates in the professional rugby league are among the highest of all team games (24) and have been reported in the region of 35 to 50 injuries per 1000 man-hours of play" Source American journal of Sports Medicine http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m0918/6_31/111502069/p1/article.jhtml

Rugby at the club level is much safer than say college or pro football, rugby at the pro level actually has a higher incidence of injuries. the difference is NFL has more serious knee injuries, rugby has more serious head injuries because there's no helmets, and supposedly more serious neck injuries because no pads.

My dad is from New Zealand, can't tell you how many times I've heard him say AMerican football is tame in comparison to profession or "union" rugby.

Pads make it hotter, that's why players like to practice without them, but they don't like to do the contact without them.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoops, forgot one detail. The main difference between the 2 in studies is what is considered an injury. NFL reports just about everything because gambling is so prevalent on the NFL. Guy has a sore hamstring, the team is supposed to report it, sore hamstring would NEVER be brought up in an official injury report in pro Rugby. The only injuries they count are the ones that prevent a guy from playing in a game.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
pete said:
I look at it the other way. What is the point of doing a drill half speed just because you don't want someone to get hurt? Do you play at half speed?

Let me ask you this. If Green had gone into another group, a group that had previously had TOUGH training camps instead of Camp Cardinal, do you think there still would be 20 guys standing around on the sideline? Or do you think tough training camps send a message to players that they need to be in training camp shape 24/7/365 these days, if possible?

I think you are right about Green sending the players a message. He probably also wanted to get a feel of which ones would put out for him so he could use that in determining where they need help in the draft. As a fan, I am dissapointed that Big didn't show up and put out for his new coach. He didn't show up for either minicamp, right? And is it true that he has also did not participate in the last 2 off season workout programs? If the answer to both of those is yes, then I really have to question if Big wants to be the absolute ass kicker that he has the potential to be or is he just content to show up and pick up his game checks every week of the season?

Big showed up for one of the mini camps and he didn't participate in the second one cause of family death or something. A lot of players in the NFL doesn't participate in the off season program, they rather go to their college campus and workout there.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lars, Jurecki has said a number of times, at least to me, that he agrees the players needed this wake-up call. I think you are confusing Mike's fondness for Mac, as a person, with Mike's opinions on the quality of the coaching.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
Dude, just stop yer bantering. You obviously have never played football because tackling a runningback running at you at full speed without pads would tear up your shoulder. Rugby and football incorporate different skills

Amen, brother. I caught a ball and instead of using a stiff arm like you're taught, I covered the ball with both hands and went in for a ruck...problem is, you're supposed to go in backwards, and I went in football-style---I ducked my shoulder. Ended up with a severe AC separation that still gives me shoulder/back problems (probably a nerve problem). I wouldn't have even gotten a bruise or felt much had I been wearing football shoulder pads.

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
vikesfan said:

Vikesfan is right - NFL players don't need pads. :D

Pads don't prevent anyting !! :D

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Listen people, Denny Green grossly violated the CBA in the first mini-camp and violated it again in the 2nd but not as much.

Jurecki tells the truth. Some of you just don't want to hear it.

We give it to you straight here. Pro management, contra management, as we see it.

Skkorp you must be a liar. Denny Green would never do anyting like that.
Denny Green is the greatest human being to ever walk the earth.
:D

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
dopleganger said:
Skkorp you must be a liar. Denny Green would never do anyting like that.
Denny Green is the greatest human being to ever walk the earth.
:D

Is that your opinion or VF opinion? :D

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Vikesfan is right - NFL players don't need pads. (Grin) Pads don't prevent anyting !! (Grin)
Actually, I remember watching an Inside Pro Football show where some wide receiver confessed that he and many other players (presumably to shed excess weight) don't bother to wear pads (including cups).

Ouch!

Savage58

Defense, Defense, DEFENSE
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
Rugby players do it all the time they don't have more injuries then football players.

It's almost like you post for the sake of posting VF. This is one of your most incomprehendable statements thusfar. Rugby players aren't even on the same level of athleticism as NFL players, are you seriously saying they are? A rugby player who is 300 and runs a 4.65 40, doesn't play rugby for long, he moves onto football. They can't run as fast or hit as hard, collisions are violent yes, the game is totally different than an NFL game/practice.

vikesfan said:
Players practice the same in pads or no pads.

It is obvious you've never even watched a football practice in your life, let alone played the game. You can't go 100% in shells, you try to make it as LIVE like as possible, but you can't. WHY you ask, since you don't have a clue. You will injure your teammates AND yourself. We as a team are trying to win here, not injure ourselves by going 100% in shells.

vikesfan said:
The injuries were not caused by the pads. How did the guy who hurt his heel or his back not get hurt if he had pads on?

How would you know, were you there? I doubt it, and yes it matters if you were there, then you can cite your source/reasoning as to how they were injured, because you saw it happen. Pads absorb the shock of most collisions, these INCLUDE, neck and back injuries. I find that laughable how you don't think pads help with back injuries haha.

Being a casual fan is not a crime, but don't spout out this crap like you know what you're talking about, arguing with actual fans about situations that you obviously have no clue about.

I'm not trying to be abusive, just some enlightenment from you would be appreciated, Football 101 or something.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
Going one on one without pads does not cause injuries.
Pads prevent injuries. That's why players wear them. A lack of pads would increase the likelyhood of suffering an injury during contact drills. It's silly to think otherwise.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Vikesfan is right - NFL players don't need pads. (Grin) Pads don't prevent anyting !! (Grin)
Actually, I remember watching an Inside Pro Football show where some wide receiver confessed that he and many other players (presumably to shed excess weight) don't bother to wear pads (including cups).

Ouch!

WRs do that all the time. They don't wear hip pads and wear smaller/lighter shoulder pads because they think that it slows them down.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
WRs do that all the time. They don't wear hip pads and wear smaller/lighter shoulder pads because they think that it slows them down.
I think most WRs only wear shoulder pads (of the lighter version) and that is pretty much it. Knee, Thigh and Hip pads do slow you down some.

Cardsmasochist

Full Throttle!!
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
I think the Cards just had some bad luck and that is not anyone's fault. I just hope the bad luck lifts. It seems like Cards players get injured all the time - pads, no pads, regular season, pre-season. Bad luck!

Actually, all NFL teams have injuries. Just ask the Patriots. But when you are thin on talent, each injury seems to be devastating. Can you imagine if Colvin actually signed with the Cards last year before getting injured?

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Rugby players aren't even on the same level of athleticism as NFL players, are you seriously saying they are? A rugby player who is 300 and runs a 4.65 40, doesn't play rugby for long, he moves onto football. They can't run as fast or hit as hard, collisions are violent yes, the game is totally different than an NFL game/practice.

Yes, the game is totally different to football.

But to say that Rugby players doesn't have the same level of athleticism is totally incorrect and insulting to the players.

Rugby is a professional sport and they train like professional athletes (obviously).