Jurecki completely out of the Cardinal picture

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"The team also changed its sideline reporting position, adding Paul Calvisi, a longtime figure in sports television and radio in the Valley. Calvisi replaces Mike Jurecki, who not only no longer will be involved with the broadcast team, but no longer will write for the team's Web site, either. Jurecki remains a talk-show co-host on a Phoenix sports talk radio program."

The lesson is that you have to play ball with the new team. Jurecki never got on the Denny Green bandwagon and continually ripped him on his talk show. No mangement team will put up with an employee that is openly negative on them. Remember they sign the pay check.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Renz said:
I doubt that "The Mushroom" will be doing any flattering reports about the Cards in the near future.

The way they wrote that sentence with "not only no longer will...." was, um, interesting.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
az jam said:
"The team also changed its sideline reporting position, adding Paul Calvisi, a longtime figure in sports television and radio in the Valley. Calvisi replaces Mike Jurecki,

I used to like Calvisi's radio show he had with Vic(?) Lombardi some years ago, it was always very entertaining. I think Lombardi went to Denver and they could never find a partner that went as well with Calvisi after that. He's a weclome addition over Jurecki who IMO thought entirely too highly of himself.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
i actually like jurecki but i guess im in the minority here....whenever we talked (he frequented the bar i worked in) he was always very cordial and informative.....

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have talked with Jurecki on 1 occassion and he was very cordial.

I'd like to point out that I have no problem with writers/reporters stating their point of view. If the team or organization deserves to be ripped on, so be it.

My problem is that with the Cardinals, bashing became the norm and rightfully so. However, 90% of the fans started noticing change in this club 2 years ago. Then the hiring of Dennis Green really set the tone and change the face of the Arizona Cardinals
Changes started to take place at a much faster pace than ever before. We the fans saw it, but it seems the writers still insisted it was the same old Cards.
We ended up 6-10 and still they were writing about the "same old Cards". We sign Warner and Ross, Okeafor and Huff and STILL many reporters were dogging us.
Finally many reporters are starting to see the improvements, the changes and the progress that have been made in a little over a year. What took them so long?
The Cards defense ranked 12th last year? Really? Only 4 nfc teams allowed fewer points than the Cards defense last year? Really?
Yes really. This team has made most of the writers do some homework for a change.
By the way. The new edition of Playboy is out. It's their football issue. Guess who they pick to win the West?
There really is a new bird in town.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't always see eye to eye with MJ, but still looked forward to hearing what he had to say. Even though he's no longer "the official mouthpiece", perhaps (if there are enough Cardinal-related private broadcast gigs in the Valley) he'll still be a presence.

Regarding homerism, bashing etc. - All I'm looking for is objectivity. It's as wrong to bend over backwords to constantly rip the team as it's wrong to be like Pollyanna.

Part of this has to do with body language - i.e. whether or not the reader or viewer gets the feeling the announcer or writer gives a rats damn about the team.

For example, NYC sportswriters don't tend to be easy on either the Jets and Giants. But while they're busy ripping the hell out of them (fairly or unfairly) you still get the feeling that the beat guy is crying tears of Giant Blue or Jets Green. (As bad as it can get, there is always the feeling of "we").

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Regarding homerism, bashing etc. - All I'm looking for is objectivity. It's as wrong to bend over backwords to constantly rip the team as it's wrong to be like Pollyanna.

I agree with what you are saying. It seems that MJ couldn't handle not being the so called insider as he was in the previous regime. MJ has never let up on the Pete Kendall cutting. Pete didn't buy into Denny's program and got cut. Its as simple as that. MJ should have gotten over it and gone on. He never did. Listening to him on his talk show, he becomes at times emotionally antagonistic on Denny Green (my opinion).

That is fine but don't expect the Cardinal managment to keep him employed on the broadcast team. You can't have it both ways!!

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
slanidrac16 said:
By the way. The new edition of Playboy is out. It's their football issue. Guess who they pick to win the West?
There really is a new bird in town.

I guess you really do read the articles.

Rocco

All Star
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
I didn't always see eye to eye with MJ, but still looked forward to hearing what he had to say. Even though he's no longer "the official mouthpiece", perhaps (if there are enough Cardinal-related private broadcast gigs in the Valley) he'll still be a presence.

Part of this has to do with body language - i.e. whether or not the reader or viewer gets the feeling the announcer or writer gives a rats damn about the team.

For example, NYC sportswriters don't tend to be easy on either the Jets and Giants. But while they're busy ripping the hell out of them (fairly or unfairly) you still get the feeling that the beat guy is crying tears of Giant Blue or Jets Green. (As bad as it can get, there is always the feeling of "we").

You're so right about NYC sportswriters. I get a kick out the sports media guys around here. Whichever team it is - Giants, Jets, Yankees, Knicks, etc. - if they win, they're great and an obvious championship favorite. If they lose, they suck. Nothing in between. It's such an adolescent perspective and though I first found it pretty annoying, I'm really entertained by it now. Love the sports talk radio call in shows around here too. Endless entertainment.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Keep in mind that when Denny Green was mentioned as a Head Coach candidate, Jurecki was of the mind that Denny Green = Buddy Ryan. Jurecki much preferred Jim Fassel as head coach.

Jurecki was against Denny from the beginning -- and going from being an insider that was friends with Mac and given lots of access by Mac -- to being totally cut off by Denny --------well that just reinforced MJ's original disposition.

CronosCard

Veteran
Reaction score
"..And in this corner.."

What Mr. Gollin says about the information-giver giving off bodylanguage exactly mirrors what I was thinking: I never liked MJ because to me, on the ASR it seemed like it was such an effort for him to speak positively about the Cards, blah blah blah, BUT WE'LL SEE if the changes really happen, or if it is the same ol' cardinals...It was quite easy to see that he acted like a first round top 5 draft pick selected by the Cardinals even 3-4 years ago.."Why Did I Get Stuck On This Team/With This Job?" He never seemed to have hius heart in the Cardinals like Tom Dillon, Mike Schulte, and some of the great Game Announcers we've had!! To me it shows MJ's lack of knowledge of Pro Football if he would take Fassel over Dennis Green.. That in itself is a joke!!!

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
en fuego said:
Keep in mind that when Denny Green was mentioned as a Head Coach candidate, Jurecki was of the mind that Denny Green = Buddy Ryan. Jurecki much preferred Jim Fassel as head coach.

Jurecki was against Denny from the beginning -- and going from being an insider that was friends with Mac and given lots of access by Mac -- to being totally cut off by Denny --------well that just reinforced MJ's original disposition.
Jurecki blasting Green on a daily basis before even a preseason game was played sealed his fate. His criticisms went from football based to plain hatred which crossed the line. The best way to describe it is that it was like the caller on the water cooler "CB" who always blasted Colangelo and got kiled for it. Jurecki was no different in the way he lashed out at Green. I even called the watercooler one time and said that I thought their show had become fluff and that the anti-Green talk had turned their show into total garbage. And it did. Although those damn Midwestern Meats commercials didnt help either. Jurecki used to be a football analyst. Then he hooked up with Bickley and tried to be Jim Rome (which he failed at). And in the end he lost credibility with a lot of people.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just to be clear...

I hope Jurecki's voice (critical or otherwise) will still be heard.

But it's understandable why the team would no longer want him to serve in a quasi-official capacity. (Hopefully, MJ will continue to be hizzownself re the Cards - only in the "private sector").

The more voices - sounding off positively or negatively about the Cardinals - the merrier. (No doubt, the more popular the team and successful the franchise, the greater the collective decibel level).

But as a fan, what I'm really hoping for are more folks with strong, objective and knowledgeable voices who, at the same time, bleed Cardinal red.

seesred

Reaction score
MJ had a problem with the whole organization. I don't mind him talking about the team, at times his evaluations were good listening. When he lost me was as some have said the Pete K thing. Every other word out of his mouth was Denny did this to Pete im my opinion he that was a horrid move, over and over again. You don't have to be a homer when you are paid to cover a team , by the team. However you don't kick them to death or spew hatred on the folks running the show.He got what he deserved.

I continue to be open to the truth about my team. I will always look on the brightest side of the coin. Life is way to short to have to be depressed about a guy like MJ who's mouth never seams to aim for the good. But I guess that's his job.

GBr
Count down to camp 18 days.