Kelley Washington again

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN says he had a great workout at pro day and is solidly in the first round again. Ran in the mid to high 4.4's, 39" jump, did all the drills and never dropped a single pass, impressed everyone with his hands and ability to change directions.

Scouts still have concerns about age(24 by start of season) experience(17 college games 8 starts) and injury, but most came away saying he's the #3 WR in the draft.

So the question is, do the Jets want to move up to go after Andre johnson, or do they sit still at #13 and take Washington who's the closest thing to Keyshawn(faster) out there?

Very interesting I think we could approach the Jets about a trade as I posted somewhere else but I strongly suspect their decision to not match Coles' offersheet is somewhat connected to Kelley Washington's workout or some other pending trade or signing.

BigJoe

Rookie
Reaction score
I thought their decision not to match on Coles was more due to Pennington and someone else (I believe it is Abraham, but I could be wrong) becoming UFA's after this season. If they were to pay that kind of bonus to Coles, that would become the starting point for Pennington and the other guy. I guess it's a gamble that losing Coles would be less painful than any other combination of salary cap cuts they would have to make to keep the rest of their roster intact beyond this season.

It's hard to believe that a team that made as much progress as the Jets did last year are banking on any rookie WR to make a significant roster impact.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Jets are going to sign a vet IMO.

The Jets really are kindof screwed when it comes to contracts like Big Joe said. Pennington, Abraham, Ellis and one other are all set to have their contracts up in 2004.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There had been comments on this bb (backed up by material from the War Room) about this guy's arrogance and negative influence on his teammates.

Let the buyer (or drafter) beware.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ajcardfan
The Jets are going to sign a vet IMO.

The Jets really are kindof screwed when it comes to contracts like Big Joe said. Pennington, Abraham, Ellis and one other are all set to have their contracts up in 2004.

Since I posted that ESPN has reported the Jets are in talks with Conway so as I said I think either they are interested in Washington, or a vet, I think Conway is the guy. I still think they take a WR fairly early though.

I don't deny there are tons of reports about Washington's arrogance and attitude, I guess it doesn't concern me too much the NFL is full of guys like that. Part of why these guys are as good as they are is their overwhelming belief in themselves.

For a guy who enrolled in school as a QB to be a 1st round WR in only 17 games with his neck injury speaks to how talented the kid is. If he was a nicer guy he might not be as good as he is.

I think he and McGahee are the wildcards in this draft I heard this morning there are a couple of teams not only willing to take McGahee in round 1, there may be one team willing to take him in the top 10-15 picks even if he doesn't play this year. My money now is on New England at 14 or 19 or Oakland with the last 2 picks in the first round.