Kendall carries grudge to Valley

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Guard blames exit on Cards' Green

Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 25, 2004 12:00 AM

Athletes rarely admit ill feelings for former teams, preferring to claim that playing against an ex-employer is like any other day at work.

Pete Kendall is different from most guys, however, so while it might not be animosity he feels for the Cardinals, who cut him Aug. 1, it's certainly not fondness, either.

"I guess you would have to say it is (special), but really not for great reasons," said Kendall, who starts at left guard for the Jets, the Cardinals' opponent Sunday at Sun Devil Stadium. "I'm going to try to keep my emotions under control, understanding that the reason I'm here has nothing to do with any of those guys I'm going to be playing against."

No, the reason he's in New York is that Cardinals coach Dennis Green didn't want him around.

Cutting Kendall, who spent three seasons in Arizona, is the most controversial decision Green has made since taking the Cardinals job in January. Kendall was the team's best offensive lineman, someone Green once regarded as an integral part of his "turnaround" efforts.

That opinion obviously changed. Green cut Kendall on the day players reported to training camp, a move some regarded as vindictive, since it could have been made weeks earlier, allowing Kendall more time to make plans.

Bob Wylie, then the team's offensive line coach, didn't know beforehand about Kendall's release. Wylie was fired after six games.

Some speculated Green cut Kendall because he suspected Kendall complained to the NFL Players Association about the intensity and structure of off-season practices.

"I think he got rid of me because he didn't think I was one of his guys and probably suspected me of going to the union," Kendall said Wednesday in a conference call with Arizona media.

He said a bit more to New York reporters.

"I'm not the type to hold my tongue," he said. "I was upset with how the minicamp and OTAs (organized team activities) were being conducted. That wasn't something I went to great lengths to hide, but it wasn't me who went to the union."

The NFL agreed that the Cardinals violated the rules and took away a week of off-season conditioning.

Green has never detailed his reasons for cutting Kendall, saying only that he drafted a center, Alex Stepanovich, in the fourth round for a reason.

"Change is part of it," Green said. "I don't think anybody thought 11 months ago that I was going to come in here and run the program exactly as it was the year before with the same players."

Several teams showed serious interest in Kendall, and he signed with the Jets, who will pay him about $6 million in guaranteed money over three years. He has been a key ingredient to the resurgence of their running attack, which is producing 147 yards a game, fourth best in the league.

"He's really brought some stability to our line," coach Herman Edwards said.

Kendall's release brought instability to the Cardinals. Stepanovich struggled early in the season, although he has made considerable progress since.

Cutting Kendall sent a message to the rest of the Cardinals that no job was safe.

"Oh, yeah. I was shocked," offensive tackle Leonard Davis said. "I didn't understand what was going on, and the only thing I could do is move on. The man (Green) made a decision."

Kendall also has moved on, and there have been benefits. He received another payday and moved closer to his family in the Boston area, and he's now with a team that has a winning record (7-3).

He harbors no animosity toward the Cardinals players, many of whom he still considers friends. He's looking forward to Sunday's game, but he also knows that a victory over the Cardinals would produce only so much joy.

"There's no way I can get back at Dennis Green," he told New York reporters. "I've come to accept that.

"I've been around long enough to know that if they win games and turn the program around, then he did the right thing by getting rid of a 'cancer' in me."

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/1125cards1125.html

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Kendall should hold a grudge against Dennis Green. He was treated like dirt and dropped like a hot potato for no reason. He was our best offensive lineman and Green dropping him made no sense at all.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Snakester said:
Kendall should hold a grudge against Dennis Green. He was treated like dirt and dropped like a hot potato for no reason. He was our best offensive lineman and Green dropping him made no sense at all.

Maybe Green asked Kendall for a shoulder rub and Kendall said, "No!" :shrug:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Snakester said:
Kendall should hold a grudge against Dennis Green.

I wouldnt hold a grudge, I would be closer to my home town, have a 7-3 record and $20 million reasons not to.

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Got to love the pampered athletes that spout off in the paper. Didn't he sign with a 'better' team for more money? How many winning seasons did Pete have as part of one of the highest paid O-Lines in the NFL?

Shut up and play the game (oh and try to stay healthy so you earn your entire paycheck Pete!).

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The problem with Pete is that he never shuts up. Loud mouthed New Englander.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
KingofCards said:
The problem with Pete is that he never shuts up. Loud mouthed New Englander.

LOL!

Exactly!

Pete...JUST...SHUT...UP!

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Funny that nobody is asking David Barrett about his tenure with the Cardinals...

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Snakester said:

I would be p------off at Green also if I were Kendall. As a matter of fact I am p------of at him anyway.

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
NickelBack said:
Got to love the pampered athletes that spout off in the paper. Didn't he sign with a 'better' team for more money? How many winning seasons did Pete have as part of one of the highest paid O-Lines in the NFL?

Shut up and play the game (oh and try to stay healthy so you earn your entire paycheck Pete!).

Amen brother!

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Snakester said:

Best Olineman?

Wow. Is our team really that bad that the guy who was hurt, a average guard at best, and a guy who "asked" to play center to prolong HIS career eventhough his ability at center was cr@p compared to how he played center our best OLineman?

That is bad, cause Kendell was overpriced, and an underperformer.
:shrug:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn't care less what Pete Kendall thinks. He wasn't with the program, so he got his a$$ tossed out. Big deal.

Sorry to say, but he wasn't as great as people are making him out to be. I'm not seeing any plans for a Pete Kendall statue outside the new stadium.

Step has been just fine, and he's got more years in front of him on a football field than Pissnmoan Pete.

I hope Kendall gets a facefull of Dockett on Sunday, and gives up 2 sacks to him.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
I couldn't care less what Pete Kendall thinks. He wasn't with the program, so he got his a$$ tossed out. Big deal.

Sorry to say, but he wasn't as great as people are making him out to be. I'm not seeing any plans for a Pete Kendall statue outside the new stadium.

Step has been just fine, and he's got more years in front of him on a football field than Pissnmoan Pete.

I hope Kendall gets a facefull of Dockett on Sunday, and gives up 2 sacks to him.
:thumbup:

Im tired of hearing about peter like he was the best player on this team. I havent been upset with anything Green has done thus far. Anything.

metcalf101

Reaction score
NickelBack said:

Huge---Huge mistake by Dennis Green.....da Jets running behind Kendall and Mawae will display just how big on Sunday.

Make sure you pay close attention to Lamont Jordon who should be the Cards #1 FA in the off-season.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry but you can't have players on your team that don't buy into the program. Every coach has there own style, like it or not a player either goes along with it or is gone. Isn't that the same with all of us and the jobs we have and the companies we work for??? If you are constantly complaining about the company you work for you will be history. Athletes make big bucks and can get away with more especially if the coach allows it. Denny doesn't and didn't.

Reaction score
metcalf101 said:
Huge---Huge mistake by Dennis Green.....da Jets running behind Kendall and Mawae will display just how big on Sunday.

Make sure you pay close attention to Lamont Jordon who should be the Cards #1 FA in the off-season.
He would be a great addition to your running game! I wish we could keep him, but i would rather keep our d-line intact.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Your d-line scares me more than anything else. I told my brother Abraham is gonna get 6 sacks on Sunday.

I still predict a Cards win tomorrow though. This is just the type of game we always win.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
az jam said:
Sorry but you can't have players on your team that don't buy into the program. Every coach has there own style, like it or not a player either goes along with it or is gone. Isn't that the same with all of us and the jobs we have and the companies we work for??? If you are constantly complaining about the company you work for you will be history. Athletes make big bucks and can get away with more especially if the coach allows it. Denny doesn't and didn't.

This makes all the sense in the world to me. Kendall admits right there in black and white, he wasn't buying in and he was letting everyone know it. Whether Green was right or wrong Kendall should be able to understand, if you are the new coach, and your loudest, most influential veteran is making it known he's not buying in, your job just got a lot harder. Maybe Kendall is the type of guy that would still give 100 percent to a program he doesn't buy into. But what about your rookies and younger players, who are being asked to move heaven and earth and go largely on blind faith. If your the new coach and you've got that young team, with a massive rebuild job on your hands, do you want to have to worry about Kendall telling everyone it won't work, coach doesn't know what he's doing, we shouldn't have to work this hard, etc. Ridiculous.

What if we hadn't had a malcontent Eric Swann, in his final years, to influence Simeon Rice and Mark Smith? A guy that thought he was the diamond in a junk pile, or a cadallac or whatever the hell he said he was. Maybe I'm just speculating that he was part of the losing atmosphere that permeated all those bad years, but there is definetly an argument to be made. If you are coming into a program that has managed to lose year after year, if the team leaders aren't on your side, you put them out on the curb, at almost any cost.

I still sort of like Kendall and I'm glad things worked out for him, but his comments that he didn't agree with the new system, and that he was loud about it, tell me beyond any reasonable doubt, Green made the right move.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
metcalf101 said:

HA!

That is if Kendell can stay healthy through the whole game.
:rolleyes:

How can a Jets fan talk about anything concerning football. You play in GIANTS stadium. That is pretty weak. Plus you guys are the red headed step child to the Giants.
:wave:

metcalf101

Reaction score
RugbyMuffin said:
HA!

That is if Kendell can stay healthy through the whole game.
:rolleyes:

How can a Jets fan talk about anything concerning football. You play in GIANTS stadium. That is pretty weak. Plus you guys are the red headed step child to the Giants.
:wave:
And a perrenial play-off contender....you?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05