Kiper's Latest for AZ

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kiper also had a major hard on for Jimmy Clausen, so I'm not one to take anything the guy says seriously. Dude is a tool.
For some unknown reason, Kiper has a hard on for all Notre Dame QB's even though the last good QB to come out was named Montana.

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry but no QB in this draft should be taken before the 3rd round aside from Newton just purely based on his elite intangibles and athleticism. Blaine Gabbert is one of the worst QBs I've seen to be hyped into top 5 status alongside Jamarcus Russell.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Kiper says Hall showed glimpses I'm not sure I trust his analysis on the Cards QB situation at all

I think he must have shown glimpses, I'm just not sure he showed them during an actual game.

Steve

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
I pray the Bills take him ahead of us because I do not believe the Cards will take him (they should) and not taking him will haunt this team for many a season. I believe his Combine will vault him to the top. If he could learn behind Bulger or another stop gap for a season he may be the best pick we could take. Whiz wants to win now and waiting and developing a Qb is not going to happen. Especially with the #5 pick. Skelton already has that roll and he maybe very good. Bills please take the Gipper err...I mean Gabbert so we do not look lost again on draft day.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Sorry but no QB in this draft should be taken before the 3rd round aside from Newton just purely based on his elite intangibles and athleticism. Blaine Gabbert is one of the worst QBs I've seen to be hyped into top 5 status alongside Jamarcus Russell.

He has alot more Tom Brady in him than Tom Tupa...you obviously haven't seen his play over the last couple of seasons. Not much hype just performence and great intangebles as an athelete. Wait for the combine and pro day.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
I predict that we either draft one of about 7 different players or we trade up.

Way to go out on a limb there Kreskin. Next thing you know, you''l predict that I may receive a phone call in a day or so. :D

Good idea. Then we'd have three guys at QB who are projects. We could run the HUD offense.

Expect an invoice for a new keyboard, as in Ï spat coffee upon it when reading your post.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
Right position, wrong QB.

Ddawg, I have watched that icon for over 10 minutes and it never rolls the dice. :)

Two things needed to get to the SB, franchise QB and top notch Defense. It's also nice to have a good O-line but the Steelers keep getting to the dance with and avg one.

We already purchased our QB lottery ticket (Skelton) with a non 1st rd pick. If Cam or Gabber are rated as QBOTHF then make the pick at 5. It is far easier to find an OLB who can pass rush in the later rounds then a QB that can carry a franchise. Has Warner not taught all of us this??????

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score
I know Wiz didn't draft Lienart. My only point is that he may have sold ownership on Skelton (even though he was a mid round pick).

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
With Carson Palmer's house being reportedly on the market in Cincinatti, how big of a push do we make on Palmer. He does not plan to return to that team. Supposedly he either gets traded or he will retire. He does not need a home in Cincinatti for either of those decisions. I could see him as a Redbird. This would allow us to use our draft to go after DEFENSE and not waste a high pick on a qb such as Gabbert or Newton.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
No QB at #5 overall! If the Cardinals foolishly draft a quarterback at #5 overall I will have to buy a new television. :(

DEFENSE! DEFENSE! DEFENSE!

chickenhead

Reaction score
Skelton was drafted late, which is not bad for a backup that we can be confident will be able to fill in with poise (we can't say the same about Hall). I don't think that pick prevents Whiz from using #5 here. Theoretically I'd be more concerned about the DA/Hall evaluations. But we don't actually know that the pursestrings didn't play a big part in the DA signing.

Because the QB situation is such a mess, projecting the Cards taking a QB at #5 is the easiest story sell a pundit can make. I don't take it as seriously as I do some of the projections for other teams.

Personally I think I'm still hoping for a pass rusher as well. I do disagree with Kiper about #5 being the Cards' only shot at a productive QB in this draft. Not to mention the possibility, however slim, of trading down.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
If Kiper says Hall showed glimpses I'm not sure I trust his analysis on the Cards QB situation at all

+1

Glabbert would be a HUGE mistake. Too big a risk for a team that could improve a lot with Patrick Peterson, or get more out of risking the pick on Vom Miller.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
With Carson Palmer's house being reportedly on the market in Cincinatti, how big of a push do we make on Palmer. He does not plan to return to that team. Supposedly he either gets traded or he will retire. He does not need a home in Cincinatti for either of those decisions. I could see him as a Redbird. This would allow us to use our draft to go after DEFENSE and not waste a high pick on a qb such as Gabbert or Newton.
Joe, what's the rules on retirement?
Lets say the Bengals don't trade him or let him out and he really does retire.
If he decides to "un-retire" the next year could it be as a FA or would he still be under contract?

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Joe, what's the rules on retirement?
Lets say the Bengals don't trade him or let him out and he really does retire.
If he decides to "un-retire" the next year could it be as a FA or would he still be under contract?

Can't use retirement as a way to abrogate a contract. Bengals would have a right to compensation under universally accepted Contract Law.

P.S. Kiper hasn't put up a mock since Jan 19... So who knows what he thinks today.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Max Hall showed promise??? Well, before we saw him play in a real game I guess.

Nice analysis, Mel.

OP
OP
john h

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I hate that I don't know more about him. I could live with him at 5 but I'm starting to like Ponder in round 2 as a better option.

I think Mallet will jump over Newton after the workout results this week. Mallet might be there in round 2 but I do not think so unless he flounders in the workouts. His has the best arm of the bunch and can thread balls over the middle to receivers closely covered. His arm is unmatched and his accuracy is very very good. He was second only to Newton in the SEC which is the toughest league in college football. As a throwing QB he was better than Newton as Newton had a great offensive line. How these QBs will finally be ranked is still a question that will not be answered until early April. If one of them looks NFL ready we must make the pick. You cannot live on other teams castoffs for ever. You eventually have to take the dive. If there are big question concerning them all then do what you must.

OP
OP
john h

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Maybe this is a dumb question, but would Wis even be allowed to draft another quarterback? If so, would he really be willing to take that chance? Isn't there a chance he doesn't make it to Gabbert's second pro season if the team wins 5 or 6 games again next season?

It is not the sole choice of Whiz on who to draft. You can bet Graves, the owners, and other coaches will have their input also. Every commentator in nearly every game noted we were dying at the QB position. I do not think any of us would disagree with that. If you do not have a good QB you are not going to contend in the NFL. I doubt any would disagree with that. The QB remains as always the most important position on a team and you need to start any team with a good QB. So why would we not draft a QB for the future as one is not going to emerge out of thin air. The two QBs we have are projects at the best.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Can't use retirement as a way to abrogate a contract. Bengals would have a right to compensation under universally accepted Contract Law.

P.S. Kiper hasn't put up a mock since Jan 19... So who knows what he thinks today.
Sweet info!

TopGun

Registered
Reaction score
Why don't this surprise me? This is the QB Mel has us drafting at #5. Wow, should be interesting in the next few months.

According to ESPN's Mel Kiper, Mizzou QB Blaine Gabbert's draft stock has begun "slipping" heading into the Scouting Combine.
According to Kiper, Gabbert's fall has occurred after NFL teams did "more film work" on the underclassman's junior year. It's true that Gabbert did not dominate his competition in 2010, throwing for 16 touchdowns compared to nine picks and averaging an unimpressive 6.71 yards per attempt. Gabbert was much better as a sophomore. The Combine starts on February 24.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05