Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hall of Fame OF Puckett suffers stroke

March 5, 2006

FT. MYERS, Florida (Ticker) -

Hall of Fame outfielder Kirby Puckett has suffered a stroke and is undergoing surgery, the Minnesota Twins announced Sunday.

The Twins said Puckett, a longtime star center fielder for the team, suffered the stroke Sunday morning at his home in Scottsdale, Arizona. He was transported to Scottsdale Memorial Hospital, then airlifted to Scottsdale Osborne Hospital, where he is undergoing neo surgery.

Perhaps the most popular player in franchise history, Puckett played his entire career with the Twins (1984-95) and led them to two World Series titles.

Despite having his career cut short by irreversible retina damage to his right eye, Puckett was inducted to the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility in 2001.

Fun-loving as a player, the 5-6, 190-pound Puckett was a lifetime .318 hitter with 207 home runs and 1,085 RBI. He retired as the Twins' all-time leader in hits (2,304), doubles (414), total bases (3,453), at-bats (7,244) and runs (1,071).

Puckett, 46, was selected to 10 consecutive All-Star Games from 1986-95 and won six Gold Gloves and five Silver Slugger Awards.

Puckett announced his retirement in July 1996 due to the eye injury and had his number 34 formally retired by the team in May 1997.

Also one of baseball's great community leaders, Puckett won the Roberto Clemente Man of the Year award in 1996.

whozurmomma

One smart momma
Reaction score
He is awfully young to have a stroke ... that is very sad to read ... prayers are with him and his family that he may have a speedy and complete recovery.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20060306&content_id=1337465&vkey=pr_min&fext=.jsp&c_id=min

Twins organization saddened by death of Kirby Puckett

Ft. Myers, FL/Minneapolis, MN --

The entire Minnesota Twins organization is saddened by the loss of Twins great Kirby Puckett. Puckett, 45, passed away this afternoon due to complications resulting from a stroke, suffered on Sunday (March 5) morning at his home in Scottsdale, Ariz. After being transported to Scottsdale Memorial Hospital on Sunday morning, Puckett was airlifted to Scottsdale Osborne Hospital, where he underwent neurosurgery. Following the surgery he was transported to St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix, AZ.

"This is a sad day for the Minnesota Twins, Major League Baseball and baseball fans everywhere," Twins owner Carl Pohlad said. "Eloise and I loved Kirby deeply. Kirby's impact on the Twins organization, State of Minnesota and Upper Midwest is significant and goes well beyond his role in helping the Twins win two World Championships. A tremendous teammate, Kirby will always be remembered for his never-ending hustle, infectious personality, trademark smile and commitment to the community. There will never be another 'Puck'."

Born, March 14, 1960 in Chicago, Ill., Puckett became an All-American at Calumet High School in Chicago. After playing one season at Bradley University, Puckett enrolled at Triton Junior College. In the summer of 1981, he was spotted playing in the Illinois Collegiate League by Jim Rantz, the Twins' Assistant Farm Director. When the January phase of the 1982 draft arrived, the Twins made Puckett the third player selected in the first round. He was signed by scout Ellsworth Brown.

Considered by many to be the greatest Twin ever, 'Puck' was baseball's jewel for 12 incredible seasons. His story was about being a hero from day one, when he became the ninth player in history to collect four hits in his first game, May 8, 1984 at California. The dramatic entrance proved to be just the first of many heroic performances leading up to his most shining moment on October 26, 1991 during Game Six of the World Series vs. Atlanta. He went 3 for 4, made a leaping catch off the plexiglass to rob Ron Gant of an extra-base hit and became the ninth player to end a World Series game with a home run on the final pitch off Charlie Leibrandt in the 11th inning to force Game Seven.

The 10-time All-Star, 6-time Gold Glove Award winner and 5-time Silver Slugger Award winner had his career cut short when he awoke with blurred vision caused by glaucoma, on the morning of March 28, 1996. He was later forced to announce his retirement on July 12, 1996 due to irreversible damage to the retina in his right eye. He retired as the Twins' All-Time leader in hits (2,304), doubles (414), total bases (3,453), at-bats (7,244) and runs (1,071).

Besides his endless on-field accomplishments, Puckett was also one of the game's greatest community leaders and was given Major League Baseball's Roberto Clemente Man of the Year Award in 1996. He was elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame on the first ballot in 2001, becoming the third-youngest living electee in baseball history (behind Sandy Koufax and Lou Gehrig). He had his number 34 formally retired by the Twins on May 25, 1997, was selected to the Twins' 40th Season Anniversary All-Time Team in 2000 and was inducted into the Twins' Hall of Fame on August 12, 2000.
Puckett is survived by his daughter Catherine, son Kirby, Jr., and his fiancée Jodi Olson and her son Cameron. Funeral arrangements are pending at this time and will be communicated once they become available.

May my deepest condolences go out to his family, other loved ones, and fans.....

I have vivid memories of watching Kirby play throughout his career (which unfortunately ended too prematurely, just like his life)....

He was always enjoyable to watch..rather it be his smooth swing at the plate.. to his acrobatic plays in CF... May his legacy/spirit lasts eternally and never cease....

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
OT...RIP Kirby Puckett

From Yahoo:

Hall of Famer Kirby Puckett diesBy DAVE CAMPBELL, AP Sports Writer
March 6, 2006 MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Kirby Puckett died Monday, a day after the Hall of Fame outfielder had a stroke at his Arizona home, a hospital spokeswoman said. He was 44.

So sad and so young....

gamebird98

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kirby Puckett passes away

So sad....wish his family well in their time of sadness:(

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My favorite player for my favorite team. I have really missed watching him play and will forever remember his face when I watch the twins. His career was a tragady and cut too short. sad day for me.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is sad, he was a very fun player to watch and seemed like a genuinely great guy although he certainly had some serious woman issues. Unfortunately, in this day and age, the particulars of his health conditions (glaucoma and a stroke) raises questions no one really wants to ask right now. Regardless, it's a tragedy.

Last edited:

choginals

Reaction score
RIP Kirby

Kirby was my childhood hero. I am a Twins fan because of him, I am probably a sports fan because of him too.

Memories of Kirby & the Twins winning the world series in '87 & '91 are so much a part of my childhood, I feel like I lost a piece of my childhood today.

RIP Kirby

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It was so easy to root for Kirby. One of the good guys in sports. God Bless his family and friends. RIP.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
There's a song that symbolizes Puckett's passing.

Only the Good Die Young. I was never much of a Twins fan growing up, however I always had an appreciation for how Puckett played the game, how in an era where players jump at the highest dollar he stayed loyal to the Twins, and most importantly (with the exception of a few hiccups at the end of his life) how he conducted himself off the field. Never was the day he was seen without a smile on his face. He loved the game and loved being a part of it.

RIP

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05