Knicks/Suns/Port Trade Idea???

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Phoenix trades: C Cezary Trybanski (0.0 ppg, 0.3 rpg, 0.0 apg in 2.5 minutes)
SG Anfernee Hardaway (8.5 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 2.9 apg in 25.4 minutes)
Phoenix receives: PF Antonio McDyess (8.6 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 1.1 apg in 23.7 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +0.1 ppg, +3.6 rpg, and -1.8 apg.

New York trades: PF Antonio McDyess (8.6 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 1.1 apg in 23.7 minutes)
SG Allan Houston (20.4 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 2.4 apg in 37.9 minutes)
New York receives: SG Anfernee Hardaway (8.5 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 2.9 apg in 32 games)
SF Rasheed Wallace (16.7 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 2.9 apg in 29 games)
Change in team outlook: -3.8 ppg, +1.0 rpg, and +2.3 apg.

Portland trades: SF Rasheed Wallace (16.7 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 2.9 apg in 38.7 minutes)
Portland receives: C Cezary Trybanski (0.0 ppg, 0.3 rpg, 0.0 apg in 4 games)
SG Allan Houston (20.4 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 2.4 apg in 28 games)
Change in team outlook: +3.7 ppg, -4.6 rpg, and -0.5 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

I am sure PHX would throw in CLE pick or a future first. Realy move some cap space and pick up a nice back up for Amare this year and let him walk next year.

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
HAHA thats pretty funny. Portland give up Sheed for Trybanski and Houston yeah right.

Phoenix bring Mcdyess back after the way he left our organization before. No way in hell JC would allow that.

New York with the salaries they already have picking up Penny and Sheeds. No way.

Stop smoking cuz you are high.

scotsman13

Reaction score
a simple question is why would the suns even want mcdyess? we have a power forward who is already on the IR. how much longer till mcdyess is back on the IR? and then what if mcdyess doesnt opt out of his contract. i think that he signed a new one when he got to the knicks a year and a half ago but he still had the option to out of his contract.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Originally posted by kps0001
HAHA thats pretty funny. Portland give up Sheed for Trybanski and Houston yeah right.

Phoenix bring Mcdyess back after the way he left our organization before. No way in hell JC would allow that.

New York with the salaries they already have picking up Penny and Sheeds. No way.

Stop smoking cuz you are high.

First off, Sheeds contract is also expiring, so NY doesn't loose out on any salary relief. Penny's contract is done in 2 years, which is a year earlier than houstons. Also, houston makes over 20 million his last year, which is like 5 million more than hardaway. So actually NY is better off cap wise.

Portland will only trade Sheed for a teams best player. Houston fits that bill. Not only that he is considered a "good guy" by most people. Seems like that might be something Portland would consider, especially if they can move another player or too.

The only problem is PHX. JC wouldn't like the idea for sure. However, if he had the chance to move Hardaway for an expiring contract, with a serviceable body, he would have to think long and hard about it.

If you are going to flame someone, at least make sure your reasons are legit.

BTW, according to Hoopshype Dice's contract is done after the season. It doesn't list a player option. I think he might have waived the option when he was traded.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by thegrahamcrackr
First off, Sheeds contract is also expiring, so NY doesn't loose out on any salary relief. Penny's contract is done in 2 years, which is a year earlier than houstons. Also, houston makes over 20 million his last year, which is like 5 million more than hardaway. So actually NY is better off cap wise.

Portland will only trade Sheed for a teams best player. Houston fits that bill. Not only that he is considered a "good guy" by most people. Seems like that might be something Portland would consider, especially if they can move another player or too.

The only problem is PHX. JC wouldn't like the idea for sure. However, if he had the chance to move Hardaway for an expiring contract, with a serviceable body, he would have to think long and hard about it.

If you are going to flame someone, at least make sure your reasons are legit.

BTW, according to Hoopshype Dice's contract is done after the season. It doesn't list a player option. I think he might have

waived the option when he was traded.

I have to admit your arguements make sense.

Portland could definitely use a sweet shooting 2 after dispensing of Bonzi.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It all depends on Portland taking on a big contract player, rather than waiting for Wallace's contract to expire at the end of the season. Currently Portland is scheduled to drop to $36.3 million next year. Houston adds $17.5 million in salary. He's pretty good, but he's not THAT good.

If Portland wanted a shooter, they could probably get Antoine Walker from Dallas for Wallace straight up. Walker has only one more year on his contract.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
McDyess cost this franchise dearly.

I would argue that a team with Kidd, a heathly McDyess, Marion and the rest of the supporting cast could have lead this team to a championship.
At that time, the powershift to the Western Conference was in its infancy and this team could have made some noise for many years.

As it turns out, Phoenix's fan base dwindled, McDyess got hurt, the west got stronger and we may not get out of the first round of the playoffs in the forseeable future.

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
The only way we should take Dice back is if he comes back on his own without a trade involved.

Either that or we dump Penny for him.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Portland will trade Wallace unless they can get some young talent at a reasonable price along with some expiring contracts. Wallace is attractive because of his huge expiring contract AND because it is probably the best big man available on the market. I very seriously doubt Portland would want an incredibly overpaid shooting guard with a long contract in return.

As far as Antonio McDyess returning to the Phoenix Suns knows I'm not sure the Colangelos would have a problem with that if he could contribute a little and it meant shedding Hardaway's contract. That would save the Suns approximately $30 million.

It's very, very difficult to come up with a big trade like this without somebody getting screwed. This one is definitely better than most, but in the end I don't think it's plausible. I just don't believe Portland would like to end up with Houston and his contract.

Joe Mama

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
If Phoenix could dump Penny's contract, they would take Satan himsef as long as he only had one year left on his contract. I'd take Dice in a hearbeat, and then let him rot on the IL all year long.

Billythekid

All Star
Reaction score
New York is really starting to come together. Van Horn is starting to resemble his former self in the early days. Would they want to make a trade?

The answer to that is YES. Just to get rid of Houston's contract. But still... for the first time in a long time New York has a little upside.

Dyess has been impressive in limited action and everyone else seems to be hitting shots.

i'd like that trade though.

Portland have Zach Randolph. Sheed is VERY expendable and I think he'll be traded. It's the prefect time for him to go. I just think Portland would want more as they've giving someone a huge cap relief next season.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
You are right Joe. The only reason why I think that Portland might take that deal is just to move Wallace, and get a good player who is a good guy back. That seems to be in the mode the Blazers are in. In all reality, even though their owner wants to cut costs, he is one of the few people in the league who can afford a large payroll. Perhaps if NY threw in its first round pick, and we added cleavlands protected it might seal the deal.

I think it is worth the pick for us to loose Hardaway and Trybanski's contracts. It is definitely worth the Knicks pick (since they dont use them anyways) to move Houston and Dice for a better player, and better contract in Sheed, not to mention someone to man the point in Penny.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
We are the big winners of this trade obviously, so I guess we would have to throw in at least a first round pick.

Regardless of the poor decision that McDyess made or he was pressured in, we would save a lot of money and get rid off Penny.

Also McDyess said several times that he regrets leaving.

Dr. Dumas

Registered
Reaction score
I'll call JC to let him know he needs to get the ball rolling on this one.
Seriously, I think that this trade benefits all parties. I could care less who we traded for, as long as we dump Penny's salary.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Reportedly POR will take ONLY expiring or short-term contracts in exchange for Wallace which immediately excludes Allan Houston.

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't matter who goes where or how beneficial it might be to all the teams involved, I'd be really amazed to ever see Rasheed Wallace in a Phoenix uni. Portland fans don't even like him, no matter how good a player he is. When he feels like it anyway.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The big problem I see is that Alan Houston has a contract that goes from $15.9 million this year to $20.7 in 2006/07 - but he is already 32 years old. That last year in particular is major gamble.

I looked at whether trading Hardaway, Trybanski, and First for Houston would make sense for New York since they would get out of that last year of Houston's contract and Trybanski's contract expires after next season. It seems doubtful, but stranger things have happened.

My concern would be that last year on Houston's contract. It would be a major cap killer, especially if his skills decline with age.
I can't see why Portland would be any happier about it.

OP
OP
SweetD

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
WOW I was almost right. I guess I would have never added in Marbury EEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR