Know Thine Enemy: Minnesota Vikings

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Team Depth Chart:
http://www.vikings.com/TeamDepthChart.aspx

At a glance:
The Vikings seems to be all about the trenches. The offensive line looks very impressive, and the defensive line looks very impressive. That being said the QB & WR on offense, and the LB's and DB's (except A.Winfield) are sub-average at best.

Cardinals Gameplan:
This is not a team to try and "get the running game going" on. Pass, pass, pass. On defense we have to contain Adrian "We shoulda drafted" Peterson.

Even at home I think the Cardinals are going to have a really tough time winning this game.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Team Depth Chart:
http://www.vikings.com/TeamDepthChart.aspx

At a glance:
The Vikings seems to be all about the trenches. The offensive line looks very impressive, and the defensive line looks very impressive. That being said the QB & WR on offense, and the LB's and DB's (except A.Winfield) are sub-average at best.

I'm spending a lot of time this week talking about the Vikings because it's a team I'm pretty familiar with.

Madieu Williams has helped stabilize a fairly porous secondary (although they still rank 20th in passing yards allowed). Sharper is pretty good SS.

Winfield is one of the best run-support CB's in the league (ha! the Cardinals don't run!) and Griffith is improving by the week. Call it a third season light bulb finally going off. Will he be able to hang with either Fitz or Boldin? Not likely, but is he some guy off the street? Not really.
Sapp is a below average player with great speed.

Leber and Greenway, both are capable of plaing either Sam or Will in the Vikings T2 scheme. Greenway should excel in coverage, but has been caught flat. Both are above average. Mike LB Harris is sub-average.

Cardinals Gameplan:
This is not a team to try and "get the running game going" on. Pass, pass, pass. On defense we have to contain Adrian "We shoulda drafted" Peterson.

Even at home I think the Cardinals are going to have a really tough time winning this game.

Dependant on suspensions, this could be the right time to try and generate a running game. If the Williams DT's are out it puts a much less acclaimed duo in the heart of the line. If the Cardinals show they're willing to try and run (and do so with marginal effectiveness) then the D has to tighten up, opening options on the outside. A win/win.

If the Williams are in, things get murky and very challenging. Say what you will about Jared Allen the person, the man is a pass-rusher and a run-stopper. The same could be said for Kevin Williams. Pat takes on multiple blockers and knows his position. DE Edwards is the weak link on the line, whose production hasn't reflected the 3 great players on his right side.

Offensively, the decision at QB won't be settled until the last possible moment by the Vikings. Official word is that Frerotte is the starter unless his back injury keeps him from playing, if he can't go the team will turn to Tavaris Jackson.

Jackson reminds me of Josh McCown. Physical tools, doesn't see the field well (yet, he's still young). Frerotte is a journeyman who could get the job done, but isn't going to be the reason a team wins the game.

The O-line has exceptional LT/LG/C/RG runblockers (RT Cook has been a disappointment for the team as a whole). These guys make holes. They are not spectacular in pass protection but don't have to be. Because of Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor. Peterson's cutback and never-quit are deadly and I believe the Cards will have to open themselves to being burned by the pass on some occasions in order to stop this guy.

Taylor isn't as explosive, but that's like saying Jamal Lewis isn't Jim Brown. That doesn't make Lewis (in actuality Taylor) any less dangerous or effective it just means the guy above him is rare. Taylor does everything right as a RB and could have a big day if the Cards let up when he's in.

The WR's are a disappointment to the team right now, but that may be because the team doesn't have a solution at QB.
Berrian was brought in to provide the QB with a number 1 guy, but hasn't produced in that fashion. After a good campaign last year, Rice has virtually disappeared this season. QB Jackson's favorite targets are TE Shaincoe and WR Bobby Wade. Frerotte seems to try and find Berrian on most occasions with mixed success.

This game is a great test for the playoff-bound Cardinals.
The Vikings have an electric running game and a capable defense, two things most other playoff teams will have.
This will serve as a litmus test for the Red. A win means that the team is on the right track.

Go Cards!!

Last edited:

Rooster7

Rookie
Reaction score
I'm spending a lot of time this week talking about the Vikings because it's a team I'm pretty familiar with.

Madieu Williams has helped stabilize a fairly porous secondary (although they still rank 20th in passing yards allowed). Sharper is pretty good SS.

Winfield is one of the best run-support CB's in the league (ha! the Cardinals don't run!) and Griffith is improving by the week. Call it a third season light bulb finally going off. Will he be able to hang with either Fitz or Boldin? Not likely, but is he some guy off the street? Not really.
Sapp is a below average player with great speed.

Leber and Greenway, both are capable of plaing either Sam or Will in the Vikings T2 scheme. Greenway should excel in coverage, but has been caught flat. Both are above average. Mike LB Harris is sub-average.

Dependant on suspensions, this could be the right time to try and generate a running game. If the Williams DT's are out it puts a much less acclaimed duo in the heart of the line. If the Cardinals show they're willing to try and run (and do so with marginal effectiveness) then the D has to tighten up, opening options on the outside. A win/win.

If the Williams are in, things get murky and very challenging. Say what you will about Jared Allen the person, the man is a pass-rusher and a run-stopper. The same could be said for Kevin Williams. Pat takes on multiple blockers and knows his position. DE Edwards is the weak link on the line, whose production hasn't reflected the 3 great players on his right side.

Offensively, the decision at QB won't be settled until the last possible moment by the Vikings. Official word is that Frerotte is the starter unless his back injury keeps him from playing, if he can't go the team will turn to Tavaris Jackson.

Jackson reminds me of Josh McCown. Physical tools, doesn't see the field well (yet, he's still young). Frerotte is a journeyman who could get the job done, but isn't going to be the reason a team wins the game.

The O-line has exceptional LT/LG/C/RG runblockers (RT Cook has been a disappointment for the team as a whole). These guys make holes. They are not spectacular in pass protection but don't have to be. Because of Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor. Peterson's cutback and never-quit are deadly and I believe the Cards will have to open themselves to being burned by the pass on some occasions in order to stop this guy.

Taylor isn't as explosive, but that's like saying Jamal Lewis isn't Jim Brown. That doesn't make Lewis (in actuality Taylor) any less dangerous or effective it just means the guy above him is rare. Taylor does everything right as a RB and could have a big day if the Cards let up when he's in.

The WR's are a disappointment to the team right now, but that may be because the team doesn't have a solution at QB.
Berrian was brought in to provide the QB with a number 1 guy, but hasn't produced in that fashion. After a good campaign last year, Rice has virtually disappeared this season. QB Jackson's favorite targets are TE Shaincoe and WR Bobby Wade. Frerotte seems to try and find Berrian on most occasions with mixed success.

This game is a great test for the playoff-bound Cardinals.
The Vikings have an electric running game and a capable defense, two things most other playoff teams will have.
This will serve as a litmus test for the Red. A win means that the team is on the right track.

Go Cards!!

DANG! You could just as well be a Viking fan..............or ARE you??? :shock:

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
DANG! You could just as well be a Viking fan..............or ARE you??? :shock:

I'm not, but I love the NFL and because I live in Minneapolis "pay" the home team it's respect by at least knowing them.
It also helps that a good friend of mine is a lifelong fan and I want to have knowledgeable discussions with him.

Rooster7

Rookie
Reaction score
I'm not, but I love the NFL and because I live in Minneapolis "pay" the home team it's respect by at least knowing them.
It also helps that a good friend of mine is a lifelong fan and I want to have knowledgeable discussions with him.

Serious question. Are you a transplant from AZ or did you grow up in MN?

Just curious if your a native to MN, what made you choose the Cardinals as "your" team? Most people who root for an out of state team do so because of the success those teams have had.

Not being disrespecful but the Cards have had some pretty bad luck over the years. It's gotta be almost as painful as being a Vikings fan most years.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
The Vikings run-stuffing MLB E.J. Henderson was lost for the season. If the Williams boys are suspended by this weekend, the Cardinals could certainly 'try' to run the football. SS is right, Antoine Winfield is a superb tackling cornerback.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Serious question. Are you a transplant from AZ or did you grow up in MN?

Just curious if your a native to MN, what made you choose the Cardinals as "your" team? Most people who root for an out of state team do so because of the success those teams have had.

Not being disrespecful but the Cards have had some pretty bad luck over the years. It's gotta be almost as painful as being a Vikings fan most years.

No disrespect at all.

I was born in IA, moved to FLA for a decade, returned to IA. My wife and I moved to MN when she got a job in the cities. So territory doesn't have much to do with my choice.

My father is a Bucs fan, having grown up in that area in his youth. My godfather is a Lions fan, having grown up in that area. My grandfather was a Packers fan.

There's a point to all this, I promise.

In the early 90's, when I was starting to become fascinated with football, these pro teams all had one defining commonality. They were pretty horrible. I love and respect the male figures in my life, but instead of parroting one of them, I wanted to go my own direction.

I needed a team with the same traits as the others, but because I lived in a state without a pro team, I was free to choose whichever team I wanted.

Early in the season, my godfather and I were driving to his house and we caught a game on the old 'AM radio. Turned out to be Cowboys VS Arizona. I peppered my godfather with questions.

Got the answers I liked and decided I'd be a Cardinals fan. Call it embracing the underdog or getting on the ground floor of a fanbase, I've been a loyal fan, and like almost every other fan on this board have remained so, in the face of one hundred million reasons not to.

FINALLY our emotional (and financial) investments are paying off.

Go Cards.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hm. What does this mean for the Cardinals?

On KFAN, the local sports talk radio station, they reported that Brad Childress talked to Andy Reid this week.

The topic of the discussion was the Cardinals. Assuming, the what, why's, and how's of the Eagles' victory.

I think we all agree with Coach's assessment that the team was just plain flat, but what kind of information would Reid be willing to offer?

Could it make a difference?

I know this sorta thing happens daily in the NFL between players, but how often between coaches?

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
On KFAN, the local sports talk radio station, they reported that Brad Childress talked to Andy Reid this week.

The topic of the discussion was the Cardinals. Assuming, the what, why's, and how's of the Eagles' victory.

I think we all agree with Coach's assessment that the team was just plain flat, but what kind of information would Reid be willing to offer?

I know this sorta thing happens daily in the NFL between players, but how often between coaches?

Means he'll probably come out in 3 or 4-wide formations and run the ball right up the gut.

Rooster7

Rookie
Reaction score

I don't know how much info Ried would give Childress. I can't imagine any coach (friends or not) giving out too much info to help out any team let alone one in the same conference.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
I don't know how much info Ried would give Childress. I can't imagine any coach (friends or not) giving out too much info to help out any team let alone one in the same conference.

I suspect lots of general things

Interestingly -- the Cardinals are in the playoffs regardless, and Philly isnt competing with AZ for playoff seeding

Philly, theoretically at least, is competing with Minny for a wildcard spot --

I dont think its in Andy Reid's interests for Minny to win this game

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
I suspect lots of general things

Interestingly -- the Cardinals are in the playoffs regardless, and Philly isnt competing with AZ for playoff seeding

Philly, theoretically at least, is competing with Minny for a wildcard spot --

I dont think its in Andy Reid's interests for Minny to win this game

If Minnesota ends up 10-6 instead of 11-5 it greatly diminishes the Eagles chances of making the playoffs. Additionally, the Eagles probably match up better against the Vikings then the Cardinals even though they beat us. Reid should know we played flat and Warner hates cold weather games. I think if we get the 3 seed and the Eagles get the 6 that we are going to hammer them, if on the other hand we get the 4 seed and the Vikings get the 3, I think the Eagles could win that game. IMO it is in Reid's interests.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05