Kroenke has to sell the Rams if they stay in St. Louis

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Actually, he was born, went to school through his masters degree, and as far as i can tell has lived his whole life in Missouri, and (per Wikipedia) was "named after St. Louis Cardinals Hall of Famers Enos 'Country' Slaughter and Stan 'The Man' Musial." Though he has bought a lot of sports franchises and other businesses in Colorado.

...dbs

Well then I stand corrected.

They are still going to move the team if they can.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Long term question if the Rams move is does STL ever get another NFL team? This could be two franchises they've lost.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Rams never should have been in St Louis in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perhaps not as Georgia Frontiere (a St. Louis native) was just about the only owner who would have been interested in moving there. However, while I understand the need to argue against St. Louis as a means to justify transferring the franchise, I do not get the need to essentially trash the city so. Seems like it's getting way too personal and St. Louis football fans deserve much, much better IMHO.

OP
OP
Cardsfanstl

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Perhaps not as Georgia Frontiere (a St. Louis native) was just about the only owner who would have been interested in moving there. However, while I understand the need to argue against St. Louis as a means to justify transferring the franchise, I do not get the need to essentially trash the city so. Seems like it's getting way too personal and St. Louis football fans deserve much, much better IMHO.

Probably because people are calling him out because of the hypocrocisy he displayed. When he first bought the Rams he told everybody he would never move them to LA and now he wants to.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's a bummer to lose your team wherever you live. It is so nice to have a winning and fun team. The franchise appears to be running the right way at last.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Probably because people are calling him out because of the hypocrocisy he displayed. When he first bought the Rams he told everybody he would never move them to LA and now he wants to.

Somewhere along the line I heard Ms Frontiere had instructed her heirs to NEVER sell the team to anyone who would move them back to L.A. (I could believe that because she knew how much the So Cal fans hated her.) Is that true?

OP
OP
Cardsfanstl

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Somewhere along the line I heard Ms Frontiere had instructed her heirs to NEVER sell the team to anyone who would move them back to L.A. (I could believe that because she knew how much the So Cal fans hated her.) Is that true?

To be honest I never heard of Georgia saying that. She might have but I do not know. Her kids were never involved with the team and as far as I know they both still lived out west. So they probably would not have cared. Took the money and ran.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Rams in LA and he financially helps (subsidies) the Chargers and Raiders get their new stadiums in their existing cities so he has no competition in LA. It only makes business sense. And its a win, win, win for all 3, especially the fans.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I think it's BS for billionaires to receive taxpayer money for their stadiums, Even if you're one of the "bottom feeders" of NFL owners $ wise....Finding investors to throw money at the cash cow that is the NFL, doesn't seem like it should be that much of a hurdle.

Completely agree. I don't actually feel bad for St. Louis as they basically poached the Rams from LA before.

Last edited:

chickenhead

Reaction score
And Phoenix poached the Cardinals from St. Louis.

Except not really: the Bidwills moved the Cardinals, and Frontiere moved the Rams. Most of the time a professional franchise moves, there were challenges but not ones that couldn't be overcome; the owner has smelled an opportunity somewhere else, and poisoned the market by the time they leave. I do feel bad for St. Louis because they're going through it twice.

Same thing with saying LA doesn't deserve a team because they lost two. LA was never a bad market. And historical attendance figures are often taken out of context. It all just makes me appreciate the owners who make it work in their market.

OP
OP
Cardsfanstl

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And Phoenix poached the Cardinals from St. Louis.

Except not really: the Bidwills moved the Cardinals, and Frontiere moved the Rams. Most of the time a professional franchise moves, there were challenges but not ones that couldn't be overcome; the owner has smelled an opportunity somewhere else, and poisoned the market by the time they leave. I do feel bad for St. Louis because they're going through it twice.

Same thing with saying LA doesn't deserve a team because they lost two. LA was never a bad market. And historical attendance figures are often taken out of context. It all just makes me appreciate the owners who make it work in their market.

Bidwill's move from St. Louis to Phoenix is similar to what is happening now with the Rams however there is one major thing missing. Bill Bidwill had an agreement with the State of Missouri and also St. Louis County to build a stadium in Earth City which is in the county. The financing was in place and he stated he did not want to leave. All they needed was for the city to agree to it. The city for some reason decided to call his bluff and said no. So the Cardinals ended up in Phoenix. The city learned their lesson and is in agreement with the state and county on a new stadium here. It is the owner who wants to leave now despite the fact they are willing to build him a new stadium. Despite what he says in the relocation proposal it is hard to negotiate with someone when they are unwilling to even pick up the phone.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Bidwill's move from St. Louis to Phoenix is similar to what is happening now with the Rams however there is one major thing missing. Bill Bidwill had an agreement with the State of Missouri and also St. Louis County to build a stadium in Earth City which is in the county. The financing was in place and he stated he did not want to leave. All they needed was for the city to agree to it. The city for some reason decided to call his bluff and said no. So the Cardinals ended up in Phoenix. The city learned their lesson and is in agreement with the state and county on a new stadium here. It is the owner who wants to leave now despite the fact they are willing to build him a new stadium. Despite what he says in the relocation proposal it is hard to negotiate with someone when they are unwilling to even pick up the phone.

That's my question, can an owner just up in move when he wants or does there need to be a NFL ownership voting to allow that?

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That's my question, can an owner just up in move when he wants or does there need to be a NFL ownership voting to allow that?

The owner is supposed to get 24 votes to be able to move. When Al Davis wanted to move the Raiders to LA he didn't have the votes so he sued the NFL and won and was able to move. If an owner tried to do it today, it would probably end up in court again but Kroenke probably wouldn't do it because the NFL would not give him any money or Super Bowls.

Here's an article I found that explains it a bit.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-nfl-la-memo-20150209-story.html

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05