Kurt Warner: Fighting Time and Himself?

Reaction score
Uh... the NFL is the league "where they play for pay"... So yea - Kurt is indeed playing for a paycheck, as is every other NFL player.
As I said, the $$ has never been a central focal point for Kurt. His priorities extend well beyond the money aspect of the sport.
He is back with the Cards simply because he felt the team had a legit shot at getting back to the Super Bowl. Yes, he's being paid to come back. Condem the guy for taking a paycheck? :mulli:
"...Cast the first stone"? ;)

From what do you get the impression I condemn Warner? My previous post plainly stated that I respect him!

But why didn't Warner accept the Cardinals initial offer? Imo, it was a fair offer.

Don't put Warner on a throne; he would'nt want to be there anyway.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys are right about the Niners offense not being anything special. But they are doing some things the Cards can only dream about right now:

1) Their offense protects the ball & doesn't put their defense in bad situations with turnovers

2) They can pressure opposing offenses with their front 4

3) They have enough solid CB's to play man to man or whatever coverage they want

4) They dont give up alot of big plays defensively

5) The players & coaches play to their strengths & know their limits

Bottom line is the Niners aren't going to beat themselves. We are going to have a very difficult time catching them.

IF we don't fix our own problems yes we won't catch them.

They have 3 wins in the division. When they beat us we didn't have Breaston and Q was playing hurt. We still should have won the game but give them credit they made a big drive when they needed it, and stopped our last attempt. They played better and deserved the win.

Seattle was decimated when SF played them, the Rams were missing key players and just plain stink.

The way SF plays right now keeps them in games, but they're going to have a lot of trouble playing that way the whole year IMHO.

If we fix our problems, we can catch them. We still have some tough games left we have the Giants, the Vikings and the Packers and there's no guarantee we'll beat the Texans, and Ten may have fixed their issues by the time we play them.

Honestly I feel if we get our act together we'll win the division, if we don't it's a moot point. If we win Sunday and they lose they'll be 3-2 going into a bye and we'll be 2-2 going in to Seattle(tough place to play) against a decimated team. Not a lock win of course Seattle always plays us tough, but if we win that both teams could be 3-2 after the next 2 games.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
IF we don't fix our own problems yes we won't catch them.

They have 3 wins in the division. When they beat us we didn't have Breaston and Q was playing hurt. We still should have won the game but give them credit they made a big drive when they needed it, and stopped our last attempt. They played better and deserved the win.

Seattle was decimated when SF played them, the Rams were missing key players and just plain stink.

The way SF plays right now keeps them in games, but they're going to have a lot of trouble playing that way the whole year IMHO.

If we fix our problems, we can catch them. We still have some tough games left we have the Giants, the Vikings and the Packers and there's no guarantee we'll beat the Texans, and Ten may have fixed their issues by the time we play them.

Honestly I feel if we get our act together we'll win the division, if we don't it's a moot point. If we win Sunday and they lose they'll be 3-2 going into a bye and we'll be 2-2 going in to Seattle(tough place to play) against a decimated team. Not a lock win of course Seattle always plays us tough, but if we win that both teams could be 3-2 after the next 2 games.

All you said there Russ is of course true. But one HUGE item you left out is that we have already lost 2 games at home. Do the math, while keeping in context our road record over the last 5 years, and you'll see that it will take an effort and a series of events the likes of which this franchise has not seen in like... FOREVER!
We only have 6 more home games. While it's possible that we can run the table at home and go 6 & 0, I seriously don't see any indication from the team that we will accomplish that feat. And then, even if we did that would only get us to 7 W's. Which means we need 2 more road victories which would then give us three road wins for the year! Seriously, I just don't see how that happens. Is it possible? Of course... But the odds are immensely stacked against it. My gut tells me it will take a monster effort from this team just to get to 7 wins. 8 would be amazing and 9? I think 9 wins would be a virtual miracle for this team...

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
All you said there Russ is of course true. But one HUGE item you left out is that we have already lost 2 games at home. Do the math, while keeping in context our road record over the last 5 years, and you'll see that it will take an effort and a series of events the likes of which this franchise has not seen in like... FOREVER!
We only have 6 more home games. While it's possible that we can run the table at home and go 6 & 0, I seriously don't see any indication from the team that we will accomplish that feat. And then, even if we did that would only get us to 7 W's. Which means we need 2 more road victories which would then give us three road wins for the year! Seriously, I just don't see how that happens. Is it possible? Of course... But the odds are immensely stacked against it. My gut tells me it will take a monster effort from this team just to get to 7 wins. 8 would be amazing and 9? I think 9 wins would be a virtual miracle for this team...

The three road wins are doable. Jax, Detroit, and St. Louis. ;)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Call me naive but I think the playoff run last year proved to these guys if they play well, they can win on the road?

Doesn't mean it will happen again this year but I still think we can be an explosive offense if we figure out how to protect Kurt, and get the run game going which I think is dependent on more carries for Beanie.

If we lose to Houston my opinion would change drastically.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

I'm with you. This season 4 the Niners kind of resembles how we won the West last season. Get off to a fast start & beat your division rivals early & you will be hard to catch. Like I said we are diffantely behind the 8-ball 3 games into our season & I think that puts more pressure on the players and coaching staff.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with you. This season 4 the Niners kind of resembles how we won the West last season. Get off to a fast start & beat your division rivals early & you will be hard to catch. Like I said we are diffantely behind the 8-ball 3 games into our season & I think that puts more pressure on the players and coaching staff.

We're 1.5 games back with 13 games to go. If we win Sunday and they lose, we'll be 2-2, them 3-2 and we could easily tie them at 3-2 the following week(they have a bye).

The one downside is it looks like the 49ers are getting the breaks in terms of when they play us, the Rams and Seattle. They got all 3 teams when injuries were an issue, especially Seattle and the Rams(we were missing Breaston and Boldin played hurt but Seattle and the Rams were missing lots of starters).

If the Cards fix their problems and play well, we'll be in contention for the division title again. They're not going to run away and hide unless we continue to just not play well.

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.

Patience my friend.I beg to differ with your road plan for our guys this year.I'll be the last one off the bus till we are mathmatically out of it.Our whole division is sad.Just wait till the 9ers start their season next week against the falcons.

I'll hold on to just two main factors changing to cause us to have another Division winning season.No more serious injuries and the play calling on offense and defense to become more aggressive and creative.

Go ahead and laugh at me.I know thats asking a lot if not too much but every season is a very long season and many things can happen.Just like last nights football game.Who ever expected the Chargers to score 28 points even if the steelers took off their pads and laid down?

We play a tough team in the texans who are quick on 'D' and I think our defense can play with them if we can win the battle of turnovers.I feel the same with winning again at Qwest field the following week as we did it last season to break a long jinx.

Kinda strange how both us and the 9ers come out of the bye week playing the texans but after that game they play 4 good teams.That will decide what happens this year in the division plus the travel game they have to go to in Philly.Once McNabb should be back and healthy later in the season.Plus the Monday night re-match that I know the team and Warner if its his last season wants worse than anything.He had a 9-1 lifetime starting record going into the season,before we dropped that one and he threw 2 interceptions.I'm sure he'll take the blame for that one.Even if Breaston not playing at the last minute threw him off of his game.(Thats my excuse) no one else's.Long was a waste that game in replacement.

I also want to give you credit knowing you would more than anything love to see our guys come out of this nightmare funk and to get things turned in the right way.Its gonna have to start from the Head coach on down.I'd think he hires an OC first thing after this season is over.:D

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Call me naive but I think the playoff run last year proved to these guys if they play well, they can win on the road?

Doesn't mean it will happen again this year but I still think we can be an explosive offense if we figure out how to protect Kurt, and get the run game going which I think is dependent on more carries for Beanie.

If we lose to Houston my opinion would change drastically.

Yea... but last season, we got to 9 W's and went undefeated at Home... We won ONE road game in the playoffs against a team whose QB happened to take mercy on us and choose that game for his worst ever in his career... So yea, I'll call you naive... :D

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
The 49ers are on a roll.

The first game could turn out to be huge, but we should of known that and we should of won it.

Ah well, there's always next year.

I'd call it now for the 49ers, maybe our players read this and this might make them mad because that would be good.

Someone needs to light a fire quick, or it's over.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ken Whisenhunt: Fighting common sense and himself by not hiring a coordinator

I'm on board with that....if the team disappoints this year we will see a change....better (IMO) to see Grimm concentrate on the OL and KW command the bridge. Plenty of capable OC's will be around.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05