Lack of Draft Pick Signings Theory

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
I'm not saying it's unimportant, I'm saying it's overblown. We could have dueling posts all day long as to holdouts who were busts, and holdouts who had good rookie years.

For example, two of the three worst holdouts since the Cards have been in Arizona, Wadsworth and Shelton. The year of Wads' holdout, it was the only season we made the playoffs, he had a decent rookie season. After Shelton held out and missed two or three games, he was starting in a matter of a month and was our best olineman before the season was over, (which admittedly, was not saying much in 1999). The other bad, bad holdout, Bryant, was a rookie disappointment.

The only two years we had all draft picks signed before camp, were the Thomas Jones and Tommy Knight draft classes. Getting in on time sure made their careers, didn't it?

I still say, I would rather have all the players in camp learning their jobs from day 1 than to be holding out. That is the bet I would rather make every single time. I don't want them to fail this year (or beyond) and have this neat little excuse about missing camp time.

Is the signing season overblown a bit? Maybe. But until today, the Cards had signed none of their picks and you gotta admit that is a bit unnerving when you cannot even get a 7th rounder signed well ahead of time.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I forget where I read it but Poston came out and said Dansby was first round talent and should have been a first rounder. HOpefully he's saying the Cards got themselves a steal, and not we're not going to take 2nd round money, but given his reputation I'm guessing Poston is delaying our other signings.

I think all agents say this. It just gets more press when the Postons say it becuase of their reputations with their FA's.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Is there anything in sports more overblown by fans, in all sports, than NFL rookies signing their contracts? I don't think so.

Very True

lrk27 said:
Is there any one event in sports that can change your teams future like the NFL draft?

Signing your rookies on time can mold their entire NFL future. Not getting in on time can severly impact you future, and the details of the contract can severly impact the teams future. In an era of salary cap, the rookies you bring in and spend a lot of money on are the future of your team. I don't know how that can be overblown.

Very True

I am confussed I think both are true. :confused:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
I still say, I would rather have all the players in camp learning their jobs from day 1 than to be holding out. That is the bet I would rather make every single time. I don't want them to fail this year (or beyond) and have this neat little excuse about missing camp time.

Is the signing season overblown a bit? Maybe. But until today, the Cards had signed none of their picks and you gotta admit that is a bit unnerving when you cannot even get a 7th rounder signed well ahead of time.

I'd rather have them in on time too. I hope they all are.