Lakers haunted by the Suns?

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Looks like the media might try to spin this series like the Suns/Spurs series, except this time trying to make it seem like the Suns are the "demon" the Lakers need to exorcise in order to move on, having lost to them in 2006 and 2007. To me, that doesn't make much sense. This is a completely different Lakers team who has already "moved on" by adding Gasol and winning the title last year. They also have home-court this time, best record in the West, and are the favorites. In the past two series, the Suns had the higher seed and were the favorites.

Unfortunately, Yahoo's Marc Spears would like to turn this series into more than it actually is for the Lakers. Note this article and the colorful choice of words. According to the writer, the Lakers are still bitter and filled with "disdain" towards Phoenix. And he got all that not from what anyone said (because apparently no one said anything to that effect) but from reading Bryant's eyes (alluded to three times) during an interview.

Past losses to Suns still fresh in Kobe’s mind
Marc J. Spears

SALT LAKE CITY – It doesn’t matter to Kobe Bryant(notes) that three years have passed and he’s won a championship since then. He has a long memory. And just the mere mention of the Phoenix Suns brings a spark to his eyes.

The Los Angeles Lakers advanced to their third straight Western Conference finals by sweeping the Utah Jazz with a 111-96 victory on Monday night. Next up are the Phoenix Suns, whom the Lakers have beaten seven times in nine games since acquiring Pau Gasol(notes). But that doesn’t matter to Bryant. When asked if he recalled that the Suns knocked the Lakers out of the postseason during their last two meetings in 2006 and ’07, Bryant’s eyes filled with disdain.

“What do you think? You already know,” Bryant said, staring through his questioner.

The Lakers and Suns open the West finals on Monday in Los Angeles. Los Angeles won the season series 3-1 with an average margin of victory of 15 points. The Suns have won six straight games in the playoffs, including a sweep of the San Antonio Spurs, but the Lakers are considered strong favorites in the series.

The Suns, however, knocked off Bryant and the Lakers in the first round in 2006 in seven games. The next year, the Suns dismissed the Lakers in five games. Afterward, Bryant demanded the Lakers make moves to upgrade their roster.

“It is very frustrating for me. It is beyond frustrating,” Bryant said then. “We are going on three years of still being on ground zero. We just have to do something. We have to see what direction this organization wants to go.”

Bryant publicly demanded to be traded and the Lakers weren’t considering a power entering the 2007-08 season. That changed when the team acquired Gasol from the Memphis Grizzlies. The Lakers have reached the past two NBA Finals with Gasol and won last season’s championship.

The Suns are making their first West finals appearance since 2006 and didn’t even play in the postseason last season.

Only Bryant, Lamar Odom(notes), Andrew Bynum(notes), Luke Walton(notes) and Sasha Vujacic(notes) remain from the 2006-07 Lakers. Even so, the Suns’ arrival is a reminder of a forgettable period for Los Angeles. And other than possibly beating the rival Boston Celtics in the upcoming Finals, there is no bigger ghost than the Suns that the bitter Lakers want to exorcise. When again asked about the Suns late Monday, Bryant muttered several strong expletives before walking away.

Regardless, the Suns are playing as well as anyone since the All-Star break. Since losing to the Portland Trail Blazers in their first-round opener, the Suns have won eight of nine games. Phoenix is averaging 105.8 points in the postseason, nearly 10 more points per game than what it has allowed its opponents. Suns center Robin Lopez(notes), who has yet to play in the postseason because of a back injury, also is expected to return. The Lakers and Suns haven’t met since March 12, when the champs won 102-96 in Phoenix.

“We are very familiar with them as well,” Bryant said. “The difference with how they played when we met them in the regular season and how they play now is just confidence. They believe in what they’re doing.”

Jason Richardson(notes) is leading the Suns in scoring in the postseason, averaging 21.9 points, but the team’s success starts with Steve Nash(notes) and Amar’e Stoudemire(notes).

“They have a great combo, they have that two-man combo in Nash and Amar’e and their screen-and-roll situations are phenomenal,” Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. “We think that we have a good combination in Pau and Kobe and we’re going to try and match that.”

The Lakers have been hot themselves, winning six straight playoff games while impressively ending playoff series against Oklahoma City and Utah on the road. With Bryant and Andrew Bynum dealing with injuries, Los Angeles will get six days of rest before the start of the series. Bryant scored more than 30 points in every game of the Utah series while Gasol recorded a double-double in each contest.

“They got just about everything you want,” Utah coach Jerry Sloan said of the Lakers. “They got experience. They got guys that are long and big and can play inside. Gasol can go inside and outside with his game and he’s a terrific passer. They got all the size. They got a lot of guys that can pass the ball. That’s a tremendous asset for any team, and plus those guys have been in big games. They came out [Monday] and they put it on us tough. They’re tough to deal with and they put us out of sync because their defense is so good. Every shot you get is tough. They make you earn it. That’s why they won the championship.”

With the Lakers expected to be heavy favorites, the Suns seem to have everything to gain and nothing to lose as they try to make the Finals for the first time since 1993. But don’t tell that to Bryant. Judging from the ferocity in his eyes, you’d think the Lakers were the underdog with something to prove.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-lakerssuns051110

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's funny, because those Lakers teams were pretty mediocre. It was nothing like when the Suns lost to the Spurs when they were a legit contender.

Kobe's just using the Raja Bell stuff to keep himself motivated. Whatever. It's a sign of weakness, IMO, but there are some Suns players who do that, too (Stoudemire). If you're great, you don't need to be motivated by external stuff. You should be driven to just win. Like Jordan. He didn't care who he played. He wanted to bury everyone.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
This Lakers team is better than this Suns team. The Lakers know it. They are supremely confident. They feel that this Suns time is a "nice little team from Phoenix that has overachieved...".

That arrogance is our only hope... well, it might help too if Kobe, Bynum or Gasol were to blow-out an ankle or a knee... :D

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This Lakers team is better than this Suns team. The Lakers know it. They are supremely confident. They feel that this Suns time is a "nice little team from Phoenix that has overachieved...".

That arrogance is our only hope... well, it might help too if Kobe, Bynum or Gasol were to blow-out an ankle or a knee... :D

There are some things that must happen for the Suns to win this series.

1. Grant Hill has to make Kobe work for what he gets. If he can keep Kobe's efficiency minimal, it would be a huge help.

2. We have to rebound. It will take team rebounding not to get absolutely killed on the boards.

3. Someone has to put a body on Gasol. If it is Amare, the foul situation will be the story.

4. The pace will be a key factor. The faster the Suns play, the less Gasol aned Bynum will be effective.

5. If Lopez plays, then he will guard Gasol, Amare will get Bynum, and Hill will play Kobe. That leaves Richardson on Odom (yikes). We just have match up problems no matter how you view it.

Zone defense in spurts

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
This Lakers team is better than this Suns team.

I'm not so sure. Both teams are 8-2 in the playoffs, against comparable opposition. Over the last 35 games of the regular season, the Suns were 28-7 while the Lakers were 21-14. Sagarin's computer ratings, which have done a good job of predicting the playoffs so far, have the teams in a virtual tie.

You can say that the Lakers are better "on paper" because of their pedigree, but they really have not been superior to the Suns since late January.

OP
OP
Griffin

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kobe's just using the Raja Bell stuff to keep himself motivated. Whatever. It's a sign of weakness, IMO, but there are some Suns players who do that, too (Stoudemire). If you're great, you don't need to be motivated by external stuff. You should be driven to just win. Like Jordan. He didn't care who he played. He wanted to bury everyone.
Except that I'm not even sure that's the case. The whole article seems like a big conjecture on the writer's part. There are no actual quotes from the Lakers players that allude to what the writer is implying. I don't think the Lakers are feeling particularly bitter about losing to us in the past when they did not have a championship-caliber team at the time.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think the key to the series will be whether the Suns' offense can function without Nash doing all of the creating. If the Lakers get behind, you can expect to see either Bryant or Artest on Nash, playing "physical" (i.e. constant fouling) defense. I'm sure that Gentry is already expecting this. So then the task will be finding mismatches elsewhere on the offensive end and exploiting them. The Lakers will not give Nash the freedom to beat them.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the key to the series will be whether the Suns' offense can function without Nash doing all of the creating. If the Lakers get behind, you can expect to see either Bryant or Artest on Nash, playing "physical" (i.e. constant fouling) defense. I'm sure that Gentry is already expecting this. So then the task will be finding mismatches elsewhere on the offensive end and exploiting them. The Lakers will not give Nash the freedom to beat them.

+1000%

The Spurs will trap Nash with the ball, in the same way we trapped Ginobili with the ball. It has worked in the past... we'll see how the Suns get away from it.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'm not so sure. Both teams are 8-2 in the playoffs, against comparable opposition. Over the last 35 games of the regular season, the Suns were 28-7 while the Lakers were 21-14. Sagarin's computer ratings, which have done a good job of predicting the playoffs so far, have the teams in a virtual tie.

You can say that the Lakers are better "on paper" because of their pedigree, but they really have not been superior to the Suns since late January.

That's all well and good... but if Gasol, Kobe and Bynum have their heads on straight, the Lakers are a heavy favorite
I say this as without Lopez, we are extremely exposed. Unlike the Blazers and the Spurs, the Lakers don't need scoring from their smalls... We are simply terribly shorthanded without Lopez - and even if he does return, it would surprising if he can actually contribute in a meaningful way after an 8 week layoff... Amare remains average at best defensively. Frye is less than that. And Collins can only play sparingly as we will need point - something he can't offer... Gasol and Bynum should feast - theoretically...

All that said, this Suns team has the type of spirit and chemistry that can pull this off. It's a huge long-shot, but you can make a case that we are much deeper than the Lakers. And so, should any of their studs have off-nights, we have the type of team that can capitalize and produce the upsets...

Could be a great series. Or, as I said, if the Lakers actually take us seriously and come to play, it could be far less than a great series...
Just wish we had a healthy Lopez. Would be a totally different series IMHO.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agreed. On defense, I'm sort of torn. Lakers suddenly have lots of options on offense, can spread the floor, and may still choose to post Kobe to put pressure on the Suns doubling/trapping defense. If Kobe is posting up, it takes away any advantage the Suns have with Lopez possibly returning, because the Suns still have to double Kobe in the post.

Probably the Suns best hope is to shoot 42% plus from the 3pt line and force the Lakers to match. Stoudemire, Hill and Dudley have to stay out of foul trouble, but I foresee a lot of problems there no matter who they guard.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
That's all well and good... but if Gasol, Kobe and Bynum have their heads on straight, the Lakers are a heavy favorite
I say this as without Lopez, we are extremely exposed. Unlike the Blazers and the Spurs, the Lakers don't need scoring from their smalls... We are simply terribly shorthanded without Lopez - and even if he does return, it would surprising if he can actually contribute in a meaningful way after an 8 week layoff... Amare remains average at best defensively. Frye is less than that. And Collins can only play sparingly as we will need point - something he can't offer... Gasol and Bynum should feast - theoretically...

All that said, this Suns team has the type of spirit and chemistry that can pull this off. It's a huge long-shot, but you can make a case that we are much deeper than the Lakers. And so, should any of their studs have off-nights, we have the type of team that can capitalize and produce the upsets...

Could be a great series. Or, as I said, if the Lakers actually take us seriously and come to play, it could be far less than a great series...
Just wish we had a healthy Lopez. Would be a totally different series IMHO.

I think the Lakers have been playing half-assed for months now. I agree that they are a heavy favorite, but if they don't take the Suns seriously, they can lose this series.
I am actually curious if some Lakers fans would share whether they agree or disagree. It might be just my perception, but just about every LA game I've seen in the last 4 months or so, they've been playing half assed basketball.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I think the Lakers have been playing half-assed for months now. I agree that they are a heavy favorite, but if they don't take the Suns seriously, they can lose this series.
I am actually curious if some Lakers fans would share whether they agree or disagree. It might be just my perception, but just about every LA game I've seen in the last 4 months or so, they've been playing half assed basketball.

Kinda agree... sorta....

I mean, they did just blank the Jazz. And yes, the Jazz were banged up and all, but they remain an incredible team at home. Yet the Lakers toasted them. Compare that to last year when the Lakers had several tough, hard fought games/series and went on to win it all...

So, maybe they're playing "half-assed"... maybe not. All I know is that you could've made that claim last year, but they were still hoisting the trophy in the end...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda agree... sorta....

I mean, they did just blank the Jazz. And yes, the Jazz were banged up and all, but they remain an incredible team at home. Yet the Lakers toasted them. Compare that to last year when the Lakers had several tough, hard fought games/series and went on to win it all...

So, maybe they're playing "half-assed"... maybe not. All I know is that you could've made that claim last year, but they were still hoisting the trophy in the end...

I talked to abomb before the Suns game 4 and he is worried. He thinks that there could be a parade in Phoenix.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OKC woke them up. I wouldn't say that about them anymore. They're especially getting after it on defense and their ball movement on offense rivals our own. In many ways it's better because the ball swings out of the post in a hurry.

The Lakers get into trouble when the ball stops moving and Kobe's asked to hit a shot late in the set, but they've more or less avoided that ... or covered for it on defense.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They feel that this Suns time is a "nice little team from Phoenix that has overachieved...".

Nobody on the Lakers said that. Ric Bucher said that. Ric Bucher is not on the Lakers roster, and that's his impression. Ric Bucher also said that there was no way Kobe would ever play in a Lakers uni ever again, certain of it. Dude has no idea.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Nobody on the Lakers said that. Ric Bucher said that. Ric Bucher is not on the Lakers roster, and that's his impression. Ric Bucher also said that there was no way Kobe would ever play in a Lakers uni ever again, certain of it. Dude has no idea.

Hey, as a Lakers fan, do you think that Lakers have been playing half assed in the last 4 months or so, or is that my perception?

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“We are very familiar with them as well,” Bryant said. “The difference with how they played when we met them in the regular season and how they play now is just confidence. They believe in what they’re doing.”
He is about to get a rude awakening, if this is what he really think. This team is different than what he knew in the reg season. Confidence, chemistry, depth, accountability amongst others, has meshed into one talented team.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are significant mismatches for both teams. Suns bench is deeper and better by far than the Lakers bench. Lakers size across the board is an issue. Speed and athleticism are key to beating the Lakers; Suns have that. Lakers can run and gun, but not as well as the Suns. Suns can play a half court set, but not nearly as well as the Lakers. Lakers defense is swarming, but on and off. Suns play very good team defense. Suns can score fast (so can the Lakers) and the lakers tend to give up big leads consistently. The Lakers are mentally tough when it comes to in-game execution, mentally soft to their overall approach. Suns just vanquished a long-time foe in stunning fashion, which can be a plus or a minus, depending on how they readjust their focus for this series. Long rest before the series and between games very much favors the Lakers, with Kobe and Fish relying on fresh legs. Bynum struggling with nicks and scratches, and rest is very much needed for him.

Whichever team can exploit their blatant mismatches more successfully wins. It's going to be an intriguing series. The playoffs are all about matchups (Jazz were no match for the Lakers, OKC a much more dangerous opponent for them) and here we have both teams with some pretty big holes. I think the Lakers can fill theirs better than the Suns can, and will tough out the series. Don't color me shocked if they don't though. It is what it is.

I'm not worried; I'm interested. Whoever wins is going to have their hands full with Orlando, IMO, and I think only my team would win that matchup. I don't see the Suns beating that team without HCA. I have serious doubts about the Lakers doing it in the first place.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, as a Lakers fan, do you think that Lakers have been playing half assed in the last 4 months or so, or is that my perception?

Absolutely. No doubt about that at all.

Even in sweeping Utah (impressive nonetheless) they were half assed. Game 4 surprised me though, and I can only hope they have wiped the sleep out of their eyes and are ready to bring the other half of their ass to the playoffs.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are significant mismatches for both teams. Suns bench is deeper and better by far than the Lakers bench. Lakers size across the board is an issue. Speed and athleticism are key to beating the Lakers; Suns have that. Lakers can run and gun, but not as well as the Suns. Suns can play a half court set, but not nearly as well as the Lakers. Lakers defense is swarming, but on and off. Suns play very good team defense. Suns can score fast (so can the Lakers) and the lakers tend to give up big leads consistently. The Lakers are mentally tough when it comes to in-game execution, mentally soft to their overall approach. Suns just vanquished a long-time foe in stunning fashion, which can be a plus or a minus, depending on how they readjust their focus for this series. Long rest before the series and between games very much favors the Lakers, with Kobe and Fish relying on fresh legs. Bynum struggling with nicks and scratches, and rest is very much needed for him.

Whichever team can exploit their blatant mismatches more successfully wins. It's going to be an intriguing series. The playoffs are all about matchups (Jazz were no match for the Lakers, OKC a much more dangerous opponent for them) and here we have both teams with some pretty big holes. I think the Lakers can fill theirs better than the Suns can, and will tough out the series. Don't color me shocked if they don't though. It is what it is.

I'm not worried; I'm interested. Whoever wins is going to have their hands full with Orlando, IMO, and I think only my team would win that matchup. I don't see the Suns beating that team without HCA. I have serious doubts about the Lakers doing it in the first place.

You don't think that this also favors the Suns? They are looking to get back their starting C, Nash's eye back to normal, as well as rest for himself and Grant Hill. The Suns record after rest is very good.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also expect to see Ron Artest all over Richardson; IMO, Phil will consider him the key to the series and have Ron play him as he played Durant...very physical through screens, etc. Stop penetration, and harass Richardson all over the court. Let Amare get his, but don't let JRich get off. Flow disruption is the strategy to put some kinks in the chemistry you guys have rolling right now.

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
You don't think that this also favors the Suns? They are looking to get back their starting C, Nash's eye back to normal, as well as rest for himself and Grant Hill. The Suns record after rest is very good.

You didnt hear? Only the Lakers are getting rest. The Suns are going to play some pick up games at Kiwanas park.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I also expect to see Ron Artest all over Richardson

Then who covers Nash? I figured Artest on Nash, Bryant on Richardson, Fisher on Hill. That would seem to blunt the Suns' preferred points of attack most effectively. It's what I'd do, anyway.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser