Lakers @ Suns game thread

nowagimp

Reaction score
CaptainInsano said:
At this point that would actually be icing on the cake, he is shooting 3's like man with a mission and finishing well around the hoop. The one thing I did notice though is he cannot finish strong at all because any little bump when he goes up for a layup and it is usually botched but im definately not complaining because he IS built for speed. Maybe if the guys on our team can try and physically bully people out of the lane a little bit during Barbs drives then maybe he can finish more of his layups.

If Barbosa had a tear drop or runner, the defense wouldnt run to the rim to deny him the layup. He must force the defense to respect his mid range shot(which he must release more quickly) and the shots at the rim will open up.

nowagimp

Reaction score
jibikao said:
He got blocked or fouled quite a few times going in against the Lakers. There were a lot of none calls. Either Barbosa couldn't finish strong or he really did get fouled. The truth is Barbosa can't draw fouls the way Amare can. He is not an A-list player. :( If it was Amare going in, he'll draw tons of fouls if there's any contact at all. So the best way is to finish strong inside. I wonder how Parker does it so well?

Parker has a great runner!

jibikao

Reaction score
nowagimp said:
If Barbosa had a tear drop or runner, the defense wouldnt run to the rim to deny him the layup. He must force the defense to respect his mid range shot(which he must release more quickly) and the shots at the rim will open up.

I think Barbosa needs to develop a tear drop shot. I have never seen him doing it. He always does a side layup and it can get blocked a lot. Parker is probably the master of tear drop shot which I think many guards need to learn. Even Nash doesn't do that very often even though I've seen him done it (against Shaq).

If Barbosa can develop a good tear drop shot, he'll be Park version too and we need that we break the defense.

At this point, I am hoping Barbosa can be a good scoring guard rather than a passing guard. I don't think he'll ever become a good passing guard.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Parker not only has his teardrop shot, he's also great at stopping and giving several fakes then laying it in. Barbosa's equivalent of the teardrop is to lay it up high and soft on the glass. It'd be great if he could learn to stop and maneuver the way Tony does but I rather think it's not something you can learn.

One thing I think he could learn is to make his drives more in the flow of the offense. He usually makes his drives as an isolation play so the whole defense is able to set up for it - particularly after he's had a couple of successes in a game. Parker's drives usually come off a P&R with other options besides him driving so the whole defense isn't keyed to him. He often gets a straight shot down the lane and he's at the rim so quick. Barbs is usually winding his way around players the whole way and ends up shooting from a weird angle.

True it takes more teamwork for Barbosa to have drives of that kind but at least it is something he can learn through practice.

jibikao

Reaction score
Errntknght said:
Parker not only has his teardrop shot, he's also great at stopping and giving several fakes then laying it in. Barbosa's equivalent of the teardrop is to lay it up high and soft on the glass. It'd be great if he could learn to stop and maneuver the way Tony does but I rather think it's not something you can learn.

One thing I think he could learn is to make his drives more in the flow of the offense. He usually makes his drives as an isolation play so the whole defense is able to set up for it - particularly after he's had a couple of successes in a game. Parker's drives usually come off a P&R with other options besides him driving so the whole defense isn't keyed to him. He often gets a straight shot down the lane and he's at the rim so quick. Barbs is usually winding his way around players the whole way and ends up shooting from a weird angle.

True it takes more teamwork for Barbosa to have drives of that kind but at least it is something he can learn through practice.

The good news is coach probably figured Barbosa is much better being a scoring guard than a point guard.

He should watch more Spurs' tape and learn how to stop and go, stop and go. You are right, when Barbosa wants to go, we usually clear some space for him, making it so obvious.