Lakers @ Suns Thursday game thread, October 17th, 2024: Preseason

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think so. With this group Bud should make Gillespie or Bol the go to guys. Should have let them cook.

This whole group didn’t play as a team towards the end.

That's fine offensively in this circumstance but that late and 1 was a prime example of him flying for a ball he couldn't get so his man had a free lane. It reminds of Oubre on D, he doesn't play his man. He'll never be the primary offensive guy out there in the regular season. He needs to play in the system.

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
Suns' defense has been bad, particularly on PnR. At the end, it's obvious that Knecht is in a shooting zone and his defender should be physical with him denying him getting the ball, yet Gillespie was the only guy doing so. Only he and Oso of that group belong to the NBA.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns finish preseason with a 3-2 record. They split with the Lakers as they did with the Pistons.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Preseason... and I wouldn't read too much into it. I think the one thing for the Suns is they pretty much definitively figured out who will be cut from the final roster.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The issue with Bol, offense and especially defense, he only plays the ball. He needs to learn to play more structured. He's all playground.

This is why I think he should only be playing center. If he isn't rim defending he is totally lost, he cannot keep track of his man.

On offense, catch and shoot or roll to the rim, nothing else and NO DRIBBLING!

His basketball instincts are terrible and he is constantly trying to do things that he's really really bad at.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bud says Devin Booker's ankle is fine.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike Budenholzer further says that Nurkic should give them spacing and Ighodaro is dynamic in the pick and roll game.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, Devin Booker says his ankle is fine in a postgame interview.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns' defense has been bad, particularly on PnR. At the end, it's obvious that Knecht is in a shooting zone and his defender should be physical with him denying him getting the ball, yet Gillespie was the only guy doing so. Only he and Oso of that group belong to the NBA.

Agree, the Suns should have tried to deny Knecht the ball or fouled him right away.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is why I think he should only be playing center. If he isn't rim defending he is totally lost, he cannot keep track of his man.

On offense, catch and shoot or roll to the rim, nothing else and NO DRIBBLING!

His basketball instincts are terrible and he is constantly trying to do things that he's really really bad at.

I'm not a fan of keeping Bol Bol on the roster, but I think the Suns are committed to keeping him, especially because his salary is guaranteed even though it's the veteran minimum. Hopefully Bud gives him a defined role.

Unsure of what Kaminsky has left in the tank, but I think he would be of more help.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our downfall was Dunn fouling out and no Okogie. Just didn’t have the right defenders out there. End of the bench just isn’t that good, no surprise there.
That to me is going to be Dunn's biggest challenge. You can improve his shot. You can improve his basketball IQ. He seems to have raw talent. Keeping himself in check and not taking unnecessary fouls is typically a challenge for any rookie.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That to me is going to be Dunn's biggest challenge. You can improve his shot. You can improve his basketball IQ. He seems to have raw talent. Keeping himself in check and not taking unnecessary fouls is typically a challenge for any rookie.

To be fair, rookies never get 50/50 calls and typically don't get breaks either. It is definitely something he needs to learn to do though. I'd say it's similar to when Monty came in and we started playing defense. We didn't get any respect from officials for well over a season because we weren't known as a defensive team, at all. It takes time to learn the ropes and establish yourself to officials.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, rookies never get 50/50 calls and typically don't get breaks either. It is definitely something he needs to learn to do though. I'd say it's similar to when Monty came in and we started playing defense. We didn't get any respect from officials for well over a season because we weren't known as a defensive team, at all. It takes time to learn the ropes and establish yourself to officials.
It's a combo. They need to learn not to make stupid fouls (I have seen him make multiple) and they need to learn what playing the league is all about. You are right he isn't going to get the benefit of the doubt which is why having a solid dome on your shoulders is a plus in this league. Something Ayton never learned.